Bloody Kisses Review

8.9
 9.7
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Bloody Kisses Reviewed by: Cain 777, on march 22, 2004

Sound: Type 0 Negative is a good group who mix doom, new wave, goth, and metal. The album has it's ups (Black No.1, Summer Breeze) and it's downs (the sound clips, song 13). However one that that eventually got to me was that the cd was littered with these pointless sound clips. Ranging from a baby's crying blending in with machinery and moans, to a ridiculous sample of a motorcycle, they take up space on the cd. They are best described as filler nothing more. The actual songs shine especially Black No.1, The cover of Summer Breeze, and Christian Woman, and the hilarious Kill All the White People. Bloody Kisses is the longest track and I feel that it could have been done better for it's length. However Summer Girl gets boring very quickly, and both Frozen, and We Hate Everyone slow down from being uptempo gothic new wave (is that an oxymoron?) to agonizingly slow killing all momentum the song had. Frozen in Particular is around 7-8 minutes in length four of those being a very boring break with two minutes being serenaded by a man singing Yo-ho over and over. and the other two being a flanged voice singing two verses. But when T.O.N. does it right they do it wicked well. Closing out the album is I Can't Lose You, a nice piece of work with sitar and layered vocals. It cuts off suddenly feeling incomplete but I suppose this is the way it was intended to be. // 8

Lyrics: Good lyrics especially in Christian Woman, Black No. 1, and Frozen. The low singing does take some getting used to, but it perfectly complements the music. The lyrics do get a bit boring I mean how many times can you say I'm miserable (according to Dashboard Confessional the record stands at four I believe correct me if I'm wrong). Some are perfectly suited to the music such as Christian Woman, and others seem a bit out of place such as in Summer Girl. Not bad work at all though. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall This cd is worth getting however if you aren't sure you'll like them get it used or download a couple tracks before you buy it. I would probably buy this if I lost it or it got stolen, but I might not. I certainly wouldn't pay more than 15 bucks for it though. This cd is comparable to a much heavier Joy Division but different than most of their material. It's a good intro to the band easy to listen to and perfect for when you're depressed. // 8

More Type O Negative reviews rating latest review