October Rust Review

type o negative: October Rust
Release Date: Aug 20, 1996
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Goth Metal
October Rust comes off as a promising concept and a nice try, but lacks the consistency to fully realize the band's potential.
 8.9
 9.2
 8.6
October Rust Reviewed by: madbasslover, on february 20, 2009

Sound: October Rust maintains some of the elements of Bloody Kisses but overall takes the band's sound in a new direction, moving away from the guitar driven, 10 minute tracks of it's predecessor and moving towards shorter songs with a stronger emphasis on keyboards, guitar effects, and atmospherics. Aside from the progression of the band's sound, the CD has a much more consistent pacing than Bloody Kisses. Rather than throw a fast, humorous song like "We Hate Everyone" between a mid-tempo track like "Set Me On Fire" and a dirgeful, depressing ballad like "Bloody Kisses," October Rust slows down the tempo several songs at a time, clumping the slower songs together and only occasionally picking up the pace with songs like "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" and "Cinnamon Girl." Overall the band sounds much tighter this time around and the result is a CD that sounds more focused and keeps the listener more interested in what happens next with each song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on October Rust deal with the same themes of love and death as those on Bloody Kisses, but without such a blunt delivery. They are just as somber as ever, but written in such a fashion that they actually sound like lyrics as opposed to sounding like angry love letters with background music. As can be expected, October Rust has it's share of tongue-in-cheek humor ("My Girlfriend's Girlfriend") and Peter Steele's morbid, "almost too serious to be funny" humor, such as in the song "Red Water." Overall, the lyrics seem much more thought-out and are much better written this time around. Lyrically, the band took quite a step forward from their previous work without sacrificing any of the things that made their lyrics enjoyable to begin with. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of Type O Negative, there really is no reason why you would not like the cd. If you preferred their older sound, you would likely not be as fond of it as you would be of Bloody Kisses, but it is nevertheless a gem to have in your library. There's a little something here for everyone, whether it's the quirky humor of "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend," the faster, more upbeat sound of "Burnt Flowers Fallen," or the dark, haunting sound of "Wolf Moon." If you consider yourself a fan of the band, I suggest that you check out October Rust and see for yourself. It will not disappoint. // 10

October Rust Reviewed by: Fi-Fi, on june 20, 2008

Sound: The sound can best be described as Type O Negative in a more mature way. Though the album starts with a classic joke making you listen to static for 38 seconds to make you believe you're speakers are connected incorectly, TON really evolved since 'Slow, Deep and Hard'. October Rust continues where Bloody kisses ended. An overall easier sound with more melody and less rythmic parts. The Album kicks off with the instant classic 'Love You To Death'. A perfect choice open the album. The song is very melodic and has a nice harmony too it that reminds me of 'Christian Woman'. When the guitar and bass kick in after the intro the song goes into a more heavy sound but still keeping the melody strong. 'Be My Druidess' the 2nd song of the album is pretty good too. Though it is far from my favourate song from October Rust. The verses have a nice smooth touch too it but the chorus doesn't really fit the sound. 'Green Man' is a perfect example for the easier soun ton has managed to create. It has a nice acoustic riff that leads most of the song. The vocal harmony's really bring this song alive. The abrupt ending is questionable though it fit in perfectly for the next song. 'Red Water (Christmas Mourning)' is an extremly depressing song reminding of 'Bloody Kisses (A Death In The Family)'. It had a very slow tempo with easy vocals and a lot of guitar sliding that stands out to the clean guitar. Though the song gets a lot cheerfuller when some vocal harmonys kick in the bridge builds it up only to get back at the beginning. I really liked this song tbough listening to it multiple times in a row is not recomended. Where there's ton there is self mockery, Adultry, Depression and Humour. There is also 'My Girlfriend's Girlfriend'. This was actually the 2nd single of the album! It's a pretty good song though the vocals are a little absent compared to the music in some parts. Though it is hard to take this song serious it's worth a listen. The only thing I didn't like was the last chorus. It differs from the one before it but not in a more powerfull way that would fit it. 'Die With Me' has recently become one of my favourates from October Rust. Experimenting with the strings on the headstock this song kicks in with a very smooth sound, typical, yet unpredictable. It's a very emotional song that fits perfectly into the setlist. Peter's vocals are outstanding on this song. The Chorus doesn't give you a Chorus feeling though. It doesn't stand out compared to the verse. 'Burned Flowers Fallen' Is a pretty good song. Though I don't know what to say about this one. The lyrics are very repeateble and so is the sound. Except for a piano based bridge that kicks in twice this song is quite the same for 6 minutes long. 'In Praise Of Bacchus' Is an outstanding song merging both the easy sound from die with me with a heavier sound like 'Blood And Fire' from the previous album. Pete's choice to use effects on his voice is a pretty bad choice I'dd say though. 'Cinnamon Girl' a Neil Young cover. I must say that I never heard the real song. But I didn't like this song at all. Wich is pretty weird because it's a fan favourate. I think the Bass leads too much and the sound just doesn't fit Type O. 'The Glorious Liberation Of The People's Technocratic Republic Of Vinnland By The Combined Forces Of The United Territories Of Europa' Is the best song of the album. They should have called it 'The glorious 1 minute and 7 second song of noise identified best as noise'. A typical Type O thing to do. A name that takes longer to pronounce than the length of the song. 'Wolf Moon (Including Zoanthropic Paranoia)' Is maybe one of the best songs of this record. An earie intro with a nice bass line. good vocals, nice bridge, verses that are better then the chorus. Yes a good example of Type O Negative's best work. Though what actually is the Zoanthropic Paranoia part? some things are better left not knowing. 'Haunted' is the most earie song I've ever heard. Josh's Piano intro is really creepy and the song remind in the same mood. It is a really haunting song though it might be a little too long as it bores me after a while. Overall October Rust gets a well deserved 9. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics are all pretty deverse. Most about love one way or another. All lyrics are pretty outstanding except maybe for My Girlfriends Girlfriend and Burned Flowers fallen. The lyrics fit the music perfectly and Steele really places them perfectly. With the exeption of some songs where the vocal volume seems to be down a little too much. // 8

Overall Impression: You can't say you don't like Type O before hearing this album. October Rust is Type O at it's best. If you don't like it after hearing it it's just not your cup of tea. This Album might've been one of my personal biggest influences. All the songs caught me one way or another and Some are among my favourate songs ever. I didn't as much Hate anything on this album. Some abrupt endings remain questionable though. Though I must say I do not own this album, as it is hard to get here. If I had it, and someone stole my copy I would buy a new one. Everyone has the right to hear this fine work of art. // 10

More Type O Negative reviews rating latest review