World Coming Down Review

type o negative: World Coming Down
Release Date: Sep 21, 1999
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Goth Metal
World Coming Down, the quartet's fifth outing, lacks the pop sensibility and hooks present in some of Type O's earlier songs.
 8.8
 9.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
World Coming Down Reviewed by: thedevil, on july 11, 2007

Sound: This is, sadly, one of Type O's most overlooked body of work.Although it may not be quite as good as Bloody Kisses, or perhaps October Rust, it is still one of my favorites of theirs. Despite thier only being 9 origonal songs (3 are skits and one is a Beatles cover), they let qaulity reign over quantity. Probably their most lyrically depressive works, the sound of the actual music would have you never realize that Peter is talking about killing himself and talking about how much he hates his life. Which I suppose has become a trade mark for Type O. This album is very catchy and musically one of Type O's best works, but noone really outshines anyone else. Johnny's drumming is great (as always) but never really stands out. Same with Kenny's guitar work. Although he does have a great solo now and then, he stays with Peter's rythm for the most part. If anything did stand out tho, it would have to be Peter Steels singing. Trust me, after one listen of Everyone I love Is Dead (which is surprisingly more upbeat than the name makes you think) you'll be screaming "Goddammit!" right along with him. // 8

Lyrics: Like I said, this is definetly thier most depressive works. As usual, Pete was going thru a hard time (this time, as you'll probably pick up from the lyrics) the album seems to talk about how many of his close family members has died. But of course, this is what Goth musics all about! // 7

Overall Impression: Even tho this may not be the album that comes to mind when you think Type O Negative, this is certaintly not a bad album. Despite the fact that even Steel himself said that he wasn't happy with the album, I think that it has a lot of good moments, and certaintly does a good job of living up to their other albums. One of the albums highlights is definitly the albums closer, the medly of two Beatles songs, Day Tripper. This song was given the total Type O makeover, to the point that unless it said it in the liner notes of the album you would have no idea that it was a cover. // 9

More Type O Negative reviews rating latest review