All That You Can't Leave Behind Review

u2: All That You Can't Leave Behind
Released: October 31, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Album Rock
The title signifies more than it seems, since the group sifts through its past.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
All That You Can't Leave Behind Reviewed by: refusedparty, on february 14, 2005

Sound: Along with the Joshua Tree, this is my favourite U2 album. Beautifully crafted, this album also marks a return to form for The Edge, who plays like its his last chance. The sound quality on this U2 album is the best so far, bar the new album. Rock songs like 'Elevation' stand right next to ballads like 'Stuck In A Moment' and don't sound out of place. // 10

Lyrics: For the most part, the lyrics on this album are brilliant. 'Beautiful Day' and 'Walk On' are almost too good to be real, and 'Wild Honey' will have you singing along, but it is let down by one song - 'Grace'. Don't get me wrong, its a good song, but it should have been a bside or something. The lyrics in it aren't that great and Bono makes it worse by singing flat. But the rest of the album more than makes up for this. // 8

Overall Impression: Let me just say that the first four songs on this album are all classics. Every single one. 'Beautiful Day' is brilliant song, 'Stuck In a Moment' is a catchy ballad, 'Elevation' is a great rocker, and 'Walk On' is one of the greatest songs you'll ever hear. By the time 'Walk On' reaches its magnificent climax, you won't be able to stop yourself singing along. The songs that follow this - 'Kite,' 'In A Little While' and 'Wild Honey' are all very good. 'Wild Honey' is especially good. The album falls down a little bit after here, but by the time it reaches 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet', the stunning last track, you'll be playing it over again. // 10

All That You Can't Leave Behind Reviewed by: belavista man, on june 14, 2007

Sound: As soon as the opening track, "Beautiful Day", begins to play, you know that the album's going to be something special, which it is. The Edge uses a mix of beautiful chord sequences and guitar effects to transport you to this whole other world that only U2 could create. It may sound like being on drugs at first, but trust me it's all good. There's not a truely bad track on here, sound wise, but "Wild Honey" sounds a bit like the sound-track for some kid's show, set in a garden somewhere. "New York" isn't too fantastic either, as it just sound like it's their to add extra time to the album (it is, after all, 5:30 long!). The best tracks, by far, have to be "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" and "Beautiful Day", obviously, but the tracks that don't get the credit they deserve should be up there too, like "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Walk On". // 8

Lyrics: Bono has really pushed his boundries with this record, both vocally and through his writing ability. I don't think that there's any other singer out there who can replicate his vocals, though I'm sure that many have tried. His melody and harmony with the music in tracks like "Kite" and "In A Little While" is really quite phenomenal. It's the vocals on an album like this that you just can't re-create. Alot of people rip Bono for his vocals, and for his ranting on about the world, but I think that his vocals are amazing, and I agree about the ranting. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the tracks that are listenable on this album, but some of the tracks annoy me after a while ("New York", "Grace"). The singles on here ("Beautiful Day", "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" and "Elevation") were released for all the right reasons - because they were clear hits right from the start. This is probobly my favourite U2 album, along-side with "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and "Achtung Baby!". What it lacks in riffs and guitar master-class, it makes up for in melody and precision of writing. // 8

All That You Can't Leave Behind Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2004

Sound: U2 attempts to return to their classic sound 10+ years out, and for the most part can't recapture their past glory. It's a pleasing enough album if you aren't familiar with the older stuff, but compared to Joshua Tree or Unforgettable Fire this is a pale comparison. They do a much better job recreating classic U2 with Atomic Bomb. There is some interesting music on the album. Beautiful day is a really good song, Elevation has some catchy riffs, Kite feels like something new, and New York is interesting. Songs that try and really recreate the classic sound (Walk On and Stuck In A Moment especially) come across like retreads. They try some blues on In A Little While but it never really goes anywhere. Wild Honey is nice and upbeat but is a bit of a throw away, and Peace On Earth and When I Look At The World are vaguely catchy but not really memorable. // 8

Lyrics: Bono is a terrific lyricist, but falls flat on his face here. There are some winners here, but often times it is more a memorable line here and there rather than a really powerful song. Some of the songs come across as patronizing (Walk On, Stuck In A Moment), and some are just awful (New York, Elevation). Grace is maybe the worst song Bono ever wrote. A real step down for him. Vocally this is one of his worst performances. Very few compelling performances, especially since he is demanding to be compared to the Bono of the mid 80's, a tough act for anyone to follow. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is criminally overrated. Having said that, it has some strong songs on it (Beautiful Day/Kite), some decent songs (Elevation if you can tune out what Bono is saying, Stuck In A Moment), a lot of songs mildly interesting for a listen or two (Peace On Earth, when I look at the world, wild honey, in a little while), some pandering (Walk On), and some unmitigated crap (New York, Grace). But I say this holding the album up to the standard U2 has set for itself. If another band turned this out it'd be better. As it is, there are far better U2 albums (War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Atomic Bomb, arguably Pop and Zooropa if you prefer Achtung to Joshua Tree). Get it if you are a big fan only and you have the above albums. Far from essential. // 6

All That You Can't Leave Behind Reviewed by: >>AlbiN<<, on june 02, 2004

Sound: U2 have been playing together for over 20 years and are still producing some awesome music. Their most recent tracks ("Electrical Storm" and "The Hands that Built America") aside, this album is the newest thing they have released. Kicking off with the high-pitched, high-powered hit "Beautiful Day" and soaring through to end with the worshipful, dark and powerful "Ground Beneath Her Feet," the variation of styles and tonality combined with the excellent musicianship makes this album so great. Although the texturing is fairly simple (pretty much everyone playing all the time), the songs are some of the most beautiful and melodic U2 have ever written. This album does not quite match "The Joshua Tree," but it certainly does not disappoint. // 8

Lyrics: I have always considered U2 to be the second best lyricists ever (Bob Dylan is still first), and they haven't failed me yet. Love, disappointment, freedom, every day life and world peace are all featured and some wonderfully touching poetic moments are to be found in almost every song. Bono have a wonderful voice, and sings the lyrics with the same passion as they were written with. He pushes his voice to the limits in several songs, but always manages to hit those high notes. // 10

Overall Impression: To be frank, this is not U2's best ever album. However, it is certainly up near the top, and beats the best albums of many bands way into the ground. My personal favourites are "Walk On," "Kite" and "The Ground Beneath Her Feet," but many famous songs are featured including "Beautiful Day," "Stck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," and "Elevation." // 8

All That You Can't Leave Behind Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2005

Sound: Five years ago I bought this album because of the singles they brought out with it, Stuck In The Moment, Beautiful Day, Elevation and Walk On and I have never played another album so much it's just simply brilliant how they done twelve pleasant, peacful and relaxing. When ever I listen to it (every other day) it put me in a good mood. There is nothing better than starting the day listening to Beautiful Day as you wake up. What bono said they went out to achieve song as happy go lucky as The Beatles' records are! Which they achieved in my opinion. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are sometimes inspireing and all the time heart warming bono went against his normal poetic writing syles and went real life, he's tells it how he sees it and everything he sees is wonderfulpeople that say this isn't one of U2's best are only saying it because they're compariong Bono's simple lyrics to his poetic lyrics in other albums the lyrics work because it goes with the sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is amazingly crafted together and it astonises me that it was rightly when it was promoted, but now has faded. Break the album and you see that everything was crafted together to be simple. That doesn't mean the album is bad becase The Beatles' did the exact same Sgt. Pepper or Revolver definately up there with those two and is their second best behind Joshua Tree. // 9

All That You Can't Leave Behind Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: U2 has gone through music evolutions. Think about it. They were popular in the early 80's, huge in the late '80s and early '90s, sort of droped off in the late '90s and this alubm was the next stage to going into the 21st century. So how was this alubms sound. Well, I guss you say colorful. There are many different sounds in this alubm. From rock (Elevation), to classical (Stuck In A Moment). This another evolution for the band. Just like Rattle And Hum and Actung Baby were. Just this one does not have quite the staying power that those did. // 8

Lyrics: Just like the sound, the lyrics also seem to evolve. Songs like Beautiful Day, Walk On, and Stuck in A Moment are masterful, while songs like Grace and When I look at the world are, well, just different. It's not that there bad, just not normal U2 songs. Most people won't like them, I however do enjoy them. Another note is you can tell Bono just ain't what he used to be. In some ways that's a good thing. He seems to sing with his heart now instead of vocaly. I think it's a nice change. // 8

Overall Impression: This cd is what led them into the 21st century. Yeah it's got it's weak points, but those are easly over done by the master songs. Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, and Walk On are amazing. The rest of the songs are good, just not amazing. One major dissapointment I feel is it seems like The Edge is missing. The only song you hear his masterful guitar riffs is in Elevation, and in my opinion that's only a fouth of what he can do. Other than those things, this is another solid album for U2. // 8

More U2 reviews rating latest review