How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Review

u2: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Released: Nov 23, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
U2 still are expert craftsmen, capable of creating records with huge melodic and sonic hooks, of which there are many on HTDAAB.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.8
 8.9
 8.6
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: Snuffles, on may 26, 2007

Sound: These guys create a great musical fusion and awesome guitar riffs and such. The first time I heard these guys play I thought. These guys are good. U2 ranges from soft rock to regular rock. I think that most of the CD was written from something from high-school (Miracle Drug) and relationships (Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, A Man And A Woman, Original Of The Species and All Because Of You). U2 has a very good impression that lasts a lifetime. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of U2 are beautiful, most of them actually mean somthing important; like dealing with world affairs (Love And Peace Or Else and City Of Blinding Lights). Bono has a great voice that U2 is lucky to have. Bono is one of the singer greats. The lyrics don't come on really strong, it's a light, catchy, naver want to stop tune. I could listen to U2 all day and never get tired of it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probley there best album. The best songs are Vertigo, A Man And A Woman, All Because Of You and Miracle Drug. The olny thing that I can't stand about this album it that there are olny 11 songs! U2 is too good for just 11 songs, well they probley spend a lot of time creating masterpeices so 11 seems like alot. Also I'm not sure about Yaweh, it's not the greatest but it's till pretty good. 10 out of 11 isn't bad anyways. // 9

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2004

Sound: The best U2 album since Actung Baby. HTDAAB is a very heavy album for U2. This album is clearly the album of the year. The sound of HTDAAB is a cross between The Joshua Tree and Actung Baby with a little bit of All That You Can't Leave Behind. HTDAAB will go down as one of U2's classic albums. The sound is amazing. Bono's voice never sounded as good. The Edge's guitar work is diffently the best he has ever down. HTDAAB will put Edge as one of the greatest guitarist, better than Kirk Hammett and Randy Rhoads. Larry Mullen Jr. provides excellent drum beats. Adam Clayton provides amazing bass riffs. HTDAAB is an album U2 has never done and is one of thier best. In the song One Step Closer, there is a cameo by Noel Gallagher. // 10

Lyrics: Bono wrote amazing lyrics for the album. In songs like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, you can fell the pain that he felt when his father died. In all the other songs, he wrote amazing lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: One of U2's best albums album. It will be remembered as one of the rock revial milestone albums. The album is nothing short of genuis. Was it dissapointing? Not one bit. Every song on the album is different from each other. From the hard rocking Vertigo to the garage rock All Because Of You, to the heartful power ballad Sometimes You Can Make It On Your Own. Every song on the album is my faveroite. If it were stolen, I'd make the person who stole it buy me a new one and make him buy himself one. The DVD which comes with the cd is also amazing. A lot of people will compare this album to other U2 classics such as The Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind. Well my friends, HTDAAB cleary destroys them. // 10

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2004

Sound: This is U2 sounding like U2. Like All You Can't Leave Behind it is a self-conscious return to their 1980's sound. However, it is far more succesful than AYCLB. Vertigo, the song from the Ipod commercial, kicks the album off to a strong start, although it doesn't sound much like anything else on the rest of the record. U2 seems to have lost the innovative edge they had in the 90's where, good or bad, you knew they were going to be different. If you like the classic U2 sound with soaring, almost melodramatic vocals (Bono still can't hit the notes he used to, but he sounds much better here than the last album)and Edge's chiming guitar (which is all over almost every song)you'll like this one. No suprises, but very solid. U2 sounding like U2. Other than Vertigo, the only somewhat innovative song musically is Love and Peace or Else, which has awesome music. // 8

Lyrics: Bono (like Michael Stipe) just can't hit the notes he used to, which shows when they try and recreate their sound from 15 years ago. That said, Bono stil sounds pretty good on this album. He hits what he needs to. The lyrics are much better than the poorly written All You Can't Leave Behind, with some real gems (City Of Blinding Lights, Crumbs From Your Table) and no real stinkers except for Love and Peace or Else. A musician as politically important as Bono should be able to do better than 'lets have peace or I'll be sad'. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very solid, if unspectacular, U2 album. It is not the Joshua Tree or Achtung, but then again what is. I prefer Unforgettable Fire to Atomic Bomb, but they are comporable. Atomic Bomb is a remarkably consistent album, but it lacks the soaring moments of past albums. I love City of Blinding Lights, but it isn't Bad or Pride. The only real boring song is Miracle Drug (which positioned as the second track kills the momentum Vertigo gives the start of the album). Sometimes you can't make it on your own is somewhat similar to Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of but panders less. War and Peace or Else has great music and if you can ignore the lyrics you'll love it. Similar to Bullet the Blue Sky if it were written by hippies. City of Blinding Lights is a soaring U2 anthem. Unlike Walk On, this one actually feels like it would not be diminished if it showed up on Joshua Tree. Because of You is similar to In God's Country with less substance, but is a fun little song. A Man and A Woman gets a bit repetitive and never really takes off, but Crumbs From Your Table is another excellent piece of classic U2. One Step Closer has some introspective mystery to it which makes it somewhat compelling. Original of the Species is another U2 anthem but falls flat for me. The album closes with Yahweh. It's better than the usual Bono wants to talk to God songs, since it is well sung with pretty catchy music, but the lyrics are a bit trite. This is not an album that will make any converts, but if you are a U2 fan you will certainly enjoy it. // 8

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2005

Sound: U2's latest album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is certainly a beauty and sounds awesome. U2's music seems to be constantly evolving and maturing and going to areas where many artists have never been. As usual Bono's vocals and Edge's excellent guitar work are the heart and soul of "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb." The album is full of excellent riffs/guitar solos in the songs "Love And Peace," "Vertigo" and "All Because Of You." This album sounds great! // 10

Lyrics: As usual with U2 the lyrics and Bono's vocals are one of the strong points in this album. All of the songs seem to have deep meaning. Each song seems to give clues about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. In my opinion throughout the album bono is saying that love and peace can dismantle an atomic bomb. U2 talks about birth in "Original Of The Species," God In "Yahweh," love in "A Man And A Woman", and Peace in "City Of Blinding Lights". The lyrics are excellent and Bono sings them with clarity and precision. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on this album are "All Because of You," "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," "Love And Peace" and the grammy winning single "Vertigo." The things I love about this album are the variety from song to song and the excellent guitar licks. The only negative from this album is the repeativeness of "Yahweh." Overall in my opinion this is the best U2 album yet and if someone stole it I wouls definetely purchse another copy. // 10

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: belavista man, on april 24, 2006

Sound: I think that the songs on this album are of such a standard that it sounds like more of a 'Best Of' album as aposed to an album with four hits on. The Edge (Dave Evans) plays his guitars and piano beautifully on this album (though he is still using tons of effects). Adam (Clayton) plays bass supurbly (as usual) and Larry Mullen Jr.'s Drum skills just seem to improve more and more with each time he performs. Bono's (Paul Hewson) epic voice still echo's throughout the album's song, just as it did when U2 started out (in the late '70s). Fantastic sound overall. // 9

Lyrics: Every lyric has been thought about. There doesn't seem to be any mistakes with any of the lyrics. Bono puts his amazing lyrics to paper and performs them with the greatest of ease. He is a musical/lyrical master. The words on this album will continue to ring in peoples minds for decades to come. I don't think that they will be forgotten too easilly. // 10

Overall Impression: To me U2 are getting better and better with each album they release. Every song, every chord, every lyric seems to be perfect on this album. Whereas, on 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', it could have been a whole lot better. // 10

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 01, 2004

Sound: This album has been receiving a lot of criticism of late and I for one can not understand why. This is by far U2's best album! The sound on the album is very different without it being too different if you know what I mean. The thing that stood out for me most on this album was the guitar work that was put beautiful together by U2' guitarist "The Edge". The guitar playing alone could be a justifiable reason to buy this album. The guitar ranges from killer rock n roll riffs ("Vertigo"), to techno sounding ("The City Of Blinding Lights") and even back to classic U2 ("One Step Closure" & "Yahweh"). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also very good on this album. When talking to people about this album this was the main thing most people criticized again I don't not know where they are coming from, the lyrics on this album are amazing and combine with the music beautiful. As always Bono puts on a solid and almost flawless performance. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier this is definitely U2's best album to date. I believe the best tracks on the album are: City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo and Yaweh. The thing that impressed me the most with this album was the guitar work, which is the best that I have seen in a long time. If this CD were stolen or lost in would no hesitate going back and buying this album in an instant, I highly recommend it to everyone. // 10

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2004

Sound: The Edge puts in some great work on this album really trying to mould the band in to a different/more rock sound than their recent efforts have contained. But other than Vertigo which is class Bono plods along the same half hearted, half baked ballad route as the last album. He just doesn; t seem to be up to the part anymore. His voice seems to have got more mellow listen to the original Band Aid single then listen to the Band Aid 20 one there is marked difference in Bonos two performaces of the same line. // 6

Lyrics: It seems really strange that the outspoken world activist that is Bono chooses to shy away from all the issues he very publicly talks about. There are no clear political views or ideals put forward during most of this record. It tends to dwell on the minutea of love between a man and a woman. Nothing new is done with this well-worn oft covered subject matter. It really is a let down in a world where so many people have worrys about and feel disenfranchised by World leaders that instead of leading the protests and stating his opinions on records, which meet a larger audience than Speeches ever do Bono says nothing of signifcance. // 2

Overall Impression: Vertigo was a great single and was really excited about the bands shift into a slightly heavier sound, U2 have always been at there inventive best when pushing the envelope, this album is an almost exact replica of All That You Can't Leave Behind. Almost but not quite, its not the same because it's not as good. That album had at least five really good tracks this album has one or two. A lack of vision and a lack of message has left me really disapointed by this album. No doubt some will disagree because for many people U2 can do no wrong, it'll sell millions regardless of what it sounds like. Maybe thats the reason for such a lazy approach to this album. // 4

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2005

Sound: This is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. U2 has a great sound. It all fits together perfectly Larry Mullen Jr's drumming fits great, Adam Claytons bass is excellent, the edge's guitar techniques and riffs are awsome and Bono's singing and melodies fit together perfectly. Every song on this album has a special touch that makes it special. You might have a great hard rock song like Vertigo then you'll have a slow soothing song like sometimes you can't make it on your own. // 10

Lyrics: You can't get much better than Bono's lyrics. He puts out the message to the world that war is bad and we need love and peace. Bono does a great job at telling the problems with the world and how we can fix it. Thats the greatest thing sending your message out to the world through rock and roll music. The lyrics are excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Definently one of the best albums I have ever bought. Every part of this album is great. Some of the best songs are All Because Of You, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love And Peace, City Of Blinding Lights and One Step Closer. If you have the slightest thought in your mind of buying this album you should you will not be disapointed. // 10

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reviewed by: maurocha, on april 12, 2007

Sound: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is considered to some people as a political album like Green Day's American Idiot but lead singer Bono stated that the album mainly focuses on his father. I think that this album is the best U2 has released so far. I think this album is Rock mainly because of The Edge's creative solos, the fast tempo in some songs like Vertigo or Yaweh. I still haven't figured out why U2 named the album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb but my best guess would be after Love And Peace Or Else. // 10

Lyrics: To me the lyrics are amazing, especially on Miracle Drug. This is a description of each song: 01. Vertigo - it's not a dictionary meaning but to Bono it's "a dizzy feeling when you get up to the top of something and there's only one way to go. 02. Miracle Drug - based after a drug discovered to help a handicapped person the band knew met in High School. 03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - written by Bono ti his father. 04. Love And Peace Or Else - talks about Atomic Bombs as pleas for peace. 05. City Of Blinding Lights - mostly written after the September 11th attacks at the World Trade Center. 06. All Because Of You - it has been introduced as a love song to The Who. 07. A Man And A Woman - a love song. 08. It appears to talk about a man waiting fora moman to come. 09. A song talking about Bono's father being one step closer to heaven. 10. Original Of The Species - talks about people being different from normal. 11. Yaweh - is a sacred name for God. This song is more like a pray. Each and every lyric stands for something even when it looks it doesn't. These guys are really good songwriters. // 10

Overall Impression: This album might compare to other albums but not from U2. Usually U2 songs have a guitar part, drum part or bass part but this album combines all the instruments (mostly guitar though) to make one bigger sound. I think the best songs from the album are: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, City Of Blinding Lights, Original Of The Species, Yaweh. I love this CD but if I lost it I wouldn't buy it again considering the fact I've got all the songs on my iPod. // 10

More U2 reviews rating latest review