Pop Review

u2: Pop
Released: Mar 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock
Less experimental and more song-oriented than Zooropa, Pop attempts to sell the glitzy rush of techno to an audience weaned on arena rock.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.3
 9.7
 6.8
Pop Reviewed by: refusedparty, on march 04, 2005

Sound: This is the U2 album that divides the fans: you either love it or you hate it. More the most part though, I love it. The sound is great, technically brilliant and something only a master could produce. It is though far from being the classic U2 sound, say 'The Joshua Tree'. Gone are the driving bass and guitar riff combos, in are the synthesizers and the distortion pedals. I like it though, it makes a nice chance and shows U2's diversity. // 10

Lyrics: To be honest with you, I love the lyrics on this album. A lot of people critisize them for not being deep enough, but there are very few tracks I could accuse that of on this album. The standout tracks for lyrics are the brilliant 'Gone' and album closer 'Wake Up Dead Man', which is a forgotten classic. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album. Sure, it isn't as good as 'Achtung Baby' or 'The Joshua Tree', but those are two of the great albums of all time - you can't expect U2 to reach those heights with every album. Anyway, this is a very, very strong album with some of my favourite songs. Bono's voice is brilliant throughout, Edge's riffs are imaginative and Adam and Larry provide an excellent rhythm. The tracks are: 01. Discotheque - 8/10 great song, though it shouldn't have been a single 02. Do You Feel Loved - 10/10 I love this song, very catchy. 03. Mofo - 8/10 obviously inspired by the Prodigy, quite enjoyable. 04. If God Will Send His Angels - 7/10 good but not great. 05. Staring At The Sun - 10/10 one of the album's highlights. 06. Last Night On Earth - 9/10 the big rocker of this album. 07. Gone - 10/10 probably the best song on the album. 08. Miami - 7/10 good but slow. 09. The Playboy Mansion - 7/10 not that memorable. 10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress - 8/10 melodic. 11. Please - 8/10 very good and catchy. 12. Wake Up Dead Man - 10/10 one of the best songs I've heard. I think anyone who likes their rock music loud and with a catchy beat should go and buy this album immediately. You won't regret it. // 10

Pop Reviewed by: benjidude945, on february 11, 2008

Sound: This album might be better than Joshua Tree. I can see the "die hard" U2 fans coming with pitchforks to my door right now, singing "With or Without You" and "Vertigo." Give me a break! Apparently a lot of U2 fans are either scared of techno or just don't want U2 doing anything but playing generic pop songs so they hate this album. This album is very interesting and continued the band's short-lived explorations into techno-rock. Songs like Do You Feel Loved and Mofo are very interesting and show a completely different side of the band. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very upbeat and fit the techno vibe on the first half of the album. Then things start to slow down and get darker. By the end, songs like If You Wear that Velvet Dress, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man create bleak images of the world meeting it's end and pained descriptions of lost love (sounds pretty chessy I know). But this is a welcome change for U2, by all means. After writing so many plain old love songs for so long, these dark and ominous techno-backed tunes are a welcome change. I'd take the obscurity Miami over Beautiful Day any day! // 9

Overall Impression: This, Zooropa, and Achtung Baby are by far their most interesting works, but not all their best. Joshua Tree IS better than this album and so is Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby. But this is an album every U2 fan should listen to and get time to know. I know, I know GASP U2 actually having fun and playing some sweet techno, god forbid, but it works out just fine. I love the dark edginess that's prominent throughout the album like on Wake Up Dead Man, however there are some songs that aren't spectacular. If God Will Send His Angels is neat-sounding but drags on or Velvet Dress takes a lot of getting used to and is a definite filler track. Top songs to hear off this are Mofo, Last Night on Earth, Discotheque, and Miami. // 10

More U2 reviews rating latest review