Zooropa Review

Released: May 1993
Label: Island
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, College Rock
As the album winds to a close, it drifts off track, yet the best moments of Zooropa rank among U2's most inspired and rewarding music.
 Lyrics: 8.5
Zooropa Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Sound: It was really strange to hear this album as it was the last U2 album to complete my collection. funny enough I'd really been getting into alternative music from Radiohead to Velvet Underground. It's a really good alternative with a sound unlike any U2 album with the exception of track 5 which keeps the ethos of U2 intacked. Bono and Co. has really done justice to going in different direction. Judgeing the sound of it is easy if you like alternative. // 10

Lyrics: Bono without a shadow of a doubt can create the most soul searching lyrics better than anyone. but this album wasn't about soulsearching (again excluding stay (Faraway, So Close)) so is it a success answer yes but it isn't perfection like any other U2 album is but nearly there if I could I'd give this 4.5 but t has to be given 4 insted (damn scoring system). // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said no other U2 album but then again no album is like another (bare first 3) U2 have done punk (Boy, Octomber, War), indie(Unforgettable Fire), soul (Joshua Tree), blues (Rattle N Hum), rock (Achtung Baby), dance/pop (Pop), soft rock (All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle An Atom Bomb). Well U2 step into alternative is a success like any other album they've done you really could (almost) put this the Velvet Underground and Nico album all in all I hold Bono', Edge', Larry' and Adam's hands up in thriumph. // 10

Zooropa Reviewed by: TheBigBoss, on october 01, 2007

Sound: Zooropa was U2's deepest step into experimental music. It's completely different from their previous albums. I listened to the whole album several times before I understood it. Actually I didn't like it at the beginning as it was not the traditional U2 sound and style. // 7

Lyrics: 01. Zooropa - consists of three parts. The first part is a mixed material called "Babel". I've read that at the beginning it was considered as a separate track, but later was mixed together. The promo single of this track released in the USA actually had that part removed because the song is quite long, 6:25. The whole song is a sort of techno-pop-rock with many samples and synths used in it. It kind'a represents the album style. 02. Babyface - is a nice song but I don't have anything special to say about it although it's not a bad song. 03. Lemon - actually I've never liked Bono's falsetto voice, but this whole song is sung in falsetto. Some say they like it but I had to get used to it. One thing I like about this song is the video, a must see. 04. Numb - is the most unusual song of the album. One of the rare songs sung by Edge. It has a plain, heavy distorted guitar riff looped through the song and Edge "rapping" in monotone voice. It's an interesting song but not the best. 05. Stay (Faraway So Close) - is a standout track of Zooropa. The true classic U2 track in this album, very beautiful and emotional. 06. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - is another song with almost no guitars and a lot of synths. One of my favourites from Zooropa. 07. The First Time - it was weird to hear clean guitar on Zooropa. Compared to the rest of the songs, except for Stay, The First Time is very emotional, but the melody fits with the style of the rest of the album. 08. Some Days Are Better Than Others - the only song from the album which actually has a guitar solo. Catchy lyrics, melody and bass line. 09. Dirty Day - is a song you must hear live because compared to the album version it sounded more complete. Johnny Cash is featured on "The Wanderer". Personally I think that no one else could sing it better than Johnny. If you leave the album playing for about one minute after "The Wanderer", you will hear an alarm going off. Some say that it is the alarm that warns radio DJs when there is a 10-second air silence. // 9

Overall Impression: Zooropa is one of my favourite U2 albums. I think that some fans underestimate it only because someone has said that he doesn't like it. It actually takes some time to understand it. The songs may be unusual but they're great. These songs make Zooropa a great album although none of them doesn't appear on U2's latest compilation. A beginner U2 fan should hear it to learn these many styles that U2 have played and then compare it to the previous, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. // 9

More U2 reviews rating latest review