Under The Influence Of Giants Review

Under The Influence Of Giants: Under The Influence Of Giants
Release Date: Jul 23, 2007
Label: Island
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Dance-Pop, Alternative Dance
It's a fun, slightly trashy affair meant for those months in which all you want to do it turn up the fan, turn down the lights, and have a good time.
 8.5
 7.5
Under The Influence Of Giants Reviewed by: cabbaman98, on december 18, 2006

Sound: I found this band when I was on holidy in New York. They were a 'recommended arist" in the Virgin shop there. And I can see why they were recommended. This is almost definetly the best album I bought this year. It's a great mix of rock, dance and pop. Anyone can enjoy it really, and they're such weird and cool people anyway. 01. Ah Ha - a brillaitn song, probebly not one of their best but a really good beat. I know a lot pf people have got a bad first impression form this first song. But don't let it put you off. You will like it later on. 02. Got Nothing - this is the song which amde me buy the album. I had heard no other song other than this one off the album and I was already definetly buying it. A great beat and some really cathcy lyrics. 03. In The Clouds - probably one of the best songs ever composed. Sounds like a typical dance song right at the start but then the guitar's break in and it'll blow you away. The chorus is so amazing and you have to sing along. The first time you hear this song you will be in love. 04. Stay Illogical - great catchy song. A slower song so you can get your energy back form the begining of the album. 05. Mamma's Room - some extremly weird lyrics ("Naked love in mamma's room"). And a great single from the Los Angeles boys. A really brillaitn chorus. 06. Heaven Is Full - a good, upbeat song, I cannot work out what the lyrics are though. 07. I Love You - a really happy song. I actually get a bit bored of it sometimes. But a nice one to put on a cheesy smile for. 08. Against All Odds - a really great guitar riff which really compliments the rest of the song. One of my faves from the album. 09. Lay Me Down - vey different form the rest of the album. Can compare it to Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. 10. Faces - great song with a really cathcy chorus. 11. Meaningless Love - quite a lot like I Love You, but probbely better. A very good ending song for the album and some good harmonies. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be very weird and random but generally a lot of fun. They work amaizngly well with the music, which is what makes them so catchy. The singer is amaizng and he harmonies with himslef great and pulls of some good screams every now and then, but not in a crap way. He has an amazing vocal range. // 10

Overall Impression: It is very differnet to everything esle I've heard. But I could say they were a cross between Daft Punk/Stereophonics (that probably isn't right but it's the best I could think of now). I love that it is so different and catchy, there is no sogn on there which I would take off. They all amke the album. The best songs have to be In the Clouds, Got Nothing, Against All Odds and Faces. I would definetly buy this again if I lost it. It's amazing. // 10

Under The Influence Of Giants Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 20, 2007

Sound: It isn't hard to be put off by the initial descriptions of California's Under The Influence Of Giants. The notion that '70s disco music can be combined with indie pop rock is an dubious one, but if you're a fan of the current retro pop rock craze you'd be a fool to not at least give UTIOG a chance. After ditching their previous grungy sound and changing the name of the band, (remember Home Town Hero?) the LA four piece have gone on to make an album that is difficult to categorise. With vocals often reminiscent of the Bee Gees or the Scissor Sisters and funky electronic bass lines the album can be a little daunting at first if you don't know what to expect. However despite this the eleven tracks span a range of genres and draw influences from a number of different bands both retro and contemporary, leaving it unfair to focus purely on their seventies influences. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically the band are unashamedly simply decent. No songs stand out as particular lyrical masterpieces but then this isn't meant to be poetry, it's good old fashioned mainstream music. Whilst no songs stand out as being particularly original lyrically, none stand out as being poor either. Unless you're in the market for particularly deep song meanings, there are no problems here. // 6

Overall Impression: Single In the Clouds, one of the strongest on the album, starts off sounding if anything like a Killers track, before the unique Euro-pop vocals come in. Again, if this sounds nothing like your usual tastes check out their Myspace and give it a listen. What should by all accounts fail as an experiment that should never have happened is actually an incredibly catchy, upbeat track which will probably be a DJ favourite in rock clubs this year. If you like to be able to dance to your indie rock, this is definitely a single you don't want to miss. Other album highlights include the more accessible Got Nothing and the obligatory acoustic track Lay Me Down, both of which could easily pass as a solid radio rock track of any number of other similar bands. If you've heard the singles and are still a little confused about what UTIOG are all about, you owe it to yourself to check this album out and find out for yourself. As a whole, these guys are just another retro influenced indie band aside from one thing, their ability to combine genres you never thought possible to create something more than original enough to stand out from the rest. // 8

Comments