The Changing Of Times Review

underoath: The Changing Of Times
Released: Feb 26, 2002
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genre: Rock
Underoath's older albums were a lot heavier, but this is their hit because it is more musically organized.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.8
 8.6
The Changing Of Times Reviewed by: weezer713, on july 30, 2005

Sound: I'll admit, I became an Underoath fan because of the new album, "They're Only Chasing Safety." I wanted more Underoath since that album was really good. Now, I've heard both CDs and both EPs and I've heard many changes. Of course Dallas sings on this album. Underoath is amazing musically. The guitar is really interesting in this album. Okay, so there are no azaming solos but it still rocks. I love how on this album, no matter how hard a song is, there is always a slow touchful part. Aaron (the drummer) doesn't really sing in this album except in, "When The Sun Sleeps." // 10

Lyrics: I'm not the biggest fan of Dallas' vocals because all his screams sound very similar. I'll admit his lyrics are amazing. Sometimes, I like the way he screams in some moods. It seems like he took a lot time into his lyrics. Most songs are about his fiancee dying in a car crash that he created. (which I do not know if it is true or just a story he made up). A Message For Adrienne is about a man who loves this girl but she nevers tells him that she loves him back and he commits suicide and she feels bad because she never told him how she really felt. Underoath is a christian band, on this cd, I felt that their was some religion in the lyrics. For example, Angels Below is an anti-satan song. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is much harder than Chasing Safety but I liked it anyway and I had never really listened to Screamo Music before. I really like Changing Of Times. I can't say any of the albums are better or worse. They are all different and they all have their own uniquness. This album is worth buying. I loved it. My favorite songs on this album are, "When The Sun Sleeps," "A Message For Adrienne," "Never Meant To Break Your Heart," "Changing Of Times" and "Angels Below" because of the awesome keyboard part. If this record were stolen, I would buy it right away. Rock on Underoath! // 10

The Changing Of Times Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 04, 2006

Sound: "The Changing Of Times" says a lot about Underoath. They don't have Dallas anymore with vocals, now they have better vocals with Spencer. They don't have the metal sound from "Act Of Depression" and "Cries Of The Past" they now have a way better sound that takes some electronics tied into punky, metal, guitar parts. Underoath somehow got even better with their 3rd album. // 10

Lyrics: As if Underoath's lyrics couldnt get any better, well they did. Spencer is so creative, amazingly more creative than Dallas. The lyrics finally tie perfectly into the music, with better vocals. These guys are awesome, lyrics, vocals, guitar parts/riffs, bass, drums, keyboards, everythings's perfect. Underoath is by far my favorite band. // 9

Overall Impression: Underoath's new sound, compares to no other band or album, they're way different then their previous albums, way more fluent songs, with amazing musical innovations. My favorite songs on this album are "When The Sun Sleeps," "Never Meant To Break Your Heart," "Angel Below" and "Alone In December." I love every little thing about this album, it's so creative and different then the bland music mechanism letting any band join to sound the same as the rest. But these guys are original, and if they were on the radio more, they would be way more popular. These guys rule. // 10

The Changing Of Times Reviewed by: underfan15, on january 05, 2008

Sound: The music on this CD is very heavy. I'll admit, at first, I thought that the CD was going to be half Dallas Taylor, then half Spencer Chamberlain. But then I listened, and, I realized, "there ain't no way that this has Spencer Chamberlain in it!" Spencer Chamberlain's screams are halfway understandable, while Dallas, you have to cringe, or else have the lyrics, to understand. Nothing against Dallas, in fact my favorite album of Underoath is Act of Depression. But I'd really like to understand what I'm listening to. I've listened to the CD about 5 times already, and I still have much trouble with it. But the actual music is phenominal. // 7

Lyrics: I actually expected more from the lyrics, considering what was in Act of Depression. Pretty much, about half the songs were Dallas' grieving over his fiancee's death, which he accidently made in a car crash. It was because of this, and the fact that the other members wanted to stick to their Christian roots, and not become completely emo or whatever, that they kicked him out of the band. But the songs that didn't have emo lyrics were amazing lyrically. "Angel Below" is an anti-Satan song, "Never Meant to Break Your Heart" was pretty much asking for forgiveness of God. So this album doesn't totally stray from their Christian roots. // 8

Overall Impression: It doesn't really compare to other artists, because it's very deep, and not many artists are that deep. In my opinion, the greatest song on the album is "Angel Below", because it's so amazing, but I also love "A Message For Adrienne", a song about a guy who loves this girl, but she hides her love for him, and doesn't know she loves him back. Overcome by grief, he kills himself, and she's feeling remorse because she never told him how she felt. I have the CD, It's on my computer, and on my MP3 Player. So, I doubt very seriously that I'll lose it, but if by some earth-shattering event I do, I'd probably just buy it again so I can eventually have all of the albums. // 9

More Underoath reviews rating latest review
+ They're Only Chasing Safety 9.1 04/14/2011