They're Only Chasing Safety Review

artist: underoath date: 04/14/2011 category: compact discs
underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety
Released: Jun 15, 2004
Genre: Rock
They're Only Chasing Safety is mildly uneven?some of the tunes hold up better than others?but more often that not, it's a respectable outing from this post-Taylor edition of UnderOath.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.1
 8.8
 9.3
They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: macgoatmullet, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Underoath is band that advances in each CD. This CD is nicely balanced in its combination of screamed lyrics and sung lyrics. No two songs are the same which keeps you guessing what around on the next track. // 10

Lyrics: Underoath's lyrics are very deep, you can tell that they dont just pay some guy to make it sound like theyre some pain driven band. They are lyrics that you have to listen to through once or twice to understand what they mean which means they have deep, profound meaning in their lyrics. When you listen to Some Will Seek Forgiveness Others Escape, you almost feel like God is actually telling you "I don't care how much you have screwed up, I still love my child." // 10

Overall Impression: To me, the Underoath of today is uncomparable to any other band. The songs I love listening to are: Some Will Seek Forgiveness Others Escape and It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door. They are two completely different genres of music that proves even more how talented this Florida band really is. I let my friend borrow this CD and he scratched the crap out of it. The next day, I baught a new copy without flinching. I cant wait for their next CD! Go buy it. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: strider_hein, on august 31, 2004

Sound: This band has a great sound to it. UnderOath combine catchy hooks with, huge riffs and endless screaming. Every song on the album has its own style and sound that never gets boring. After a while though the screaming does get to you and may begin to irritate you if thats not something you listen to a lot. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are meaningful and colourful. Well, once you figure out what is being said that is. The vocals are good and suit the sound perfectly but often you find yourself pulling out the lyric book or looking at lyric sites online to find out what is being said. // 8

Overall Impression: In the August 2004 issue of Revolver Magazine there was an article on UnderOath. They said that UnderOath proved "that pop hooks are fine as long as the riffs are huge and the screaming never ends". I completley agree. I hate listening to bands that put a half assed effort into their riffs. I hate hooks that are barely there and dont grab you the first time you hear them. Most of all, I hate bands that go into a studio for years and come out with some crappy 15 track album that only has one or two good songs (if any) on it. These guy went in and pumped out this 10 track album (one track of which has no vocals at all) that blew my mind. Unfortunatly these guys along with many of their fellow tooth and nail bands(the recaord company) you cant find them just anywhere. So if you cant find them at your local record store go out of your way to find the cd. If you need to you can get it online but not if you look hard enough. And beleive me, it's worth the search. // 8

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2004

Sound: The bands sound is amazing, I heard before this album they were really heavy and that they lost a large majority of their fans after the new singer came because they got abit softer, I'm not sure if this is true but I have not heard their other albums but I will definately listen to them after hearing this amazing album. One of the best albums I've come across. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit in so well with the music, sometimes you need to get out the lyric book to find out what they are sayin because of the screaming but most of it you can understand, the singer is amazing and hope he stays with the band for a while because he is such a talented singer, one of the best I've heard. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say my favorite song on the album would be "Reinventing Your Exit," "Down, Set, Go," and "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape", these three songs are really something, although I'm not putting down the other songs, they are great too, this is definately one of my favorite bands along funeral for a friend and machine head, I sure hope they tour near me sometime soon. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 21, 2005

Sound: This CD's sound I find one of the best I have herd. The large amount of screaming caught me off guard, as most of the bands I enjoy listening to scream as much as this album does. If you listen to this CD the way it was suposed to be listened to, straight through, the you can really feel a beat that goes along with the lyrics. The acoustic song, Some will seek forgiveness, others escape does a fantastic job of finishing up the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Right along with the beat of the music the lyrics follow perfectly. The lyrics, from what I have figured out, takes you through a story of boy whos life seems to not be going as he wanted, then he learns to love and forgive at the end. Sometimes I get tired of the screaming and want it to be a little softer but thats the kind of music they make and I cant change them. // 9

Overall Impression: This overall is an amazing CD from an amazing artist. Many times when I look online there seems to be two groups of Underoath fans, those who are fans of the old album, and those who are fans of the new album. I have yet to get there old album but I shall see what is so different about the two. I love the meaningful lyrics, the drumers amazing voice, and even sometimes the screaming. It seems every song I can connect to. The most impresive songs off this album are A boy brushed red living in black and white, it's dangerious bissuness walking out your front door, and some will seek forgiveness, others escape. If this CD was to be stolen from me or lost, no doubt I would go straight out and Buy the CD again. Imediately! // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: punkman_123, on may 27, 2005

Sound: I bought the album after hearing "Reinventing Your Exit" which is my favourite track. This particular track has half screaming and half singing, so when I chucked on They're Only Chasing Safety I got a bit of a shock. I thought Underoath were a semi-screamo band, but most of the songs on this album turned out to be consisting mainly of screaming. A bit heavier than I was first expecting, but it did end up working in their favour. Underoath is generally labelled screamo in their genre, but I'd have to call them more of an alternative band. They have the typical guitarists, bass, drums, keyboard and vocals but they tie a lot more electrical sounds into their tracks than other competing bands of this genre. The keyboardist is often the melody, atmosphere and soul of the tracks, even if it is just a faint sound heard behind the chaos in the rest of the track. // 10

Lyrics: Underoath uses very deep and meaningful lyrics, but they are far from the typical emo lyrics. When you read along with the songs and think about every line, it becomes clear that a lot of thought and effort has gone into the lyrics aswell as the instrumentation. The vocalist has an extremely broad range in styles. He can sing perfectly, then burst into fits of screaming and go back again. This is best shown in "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape." I was very impressed with his skill. // 10

Overall Impression: Since Underoath doesn't slot perfectly into any genre, I can't make an accurate comparison but I can say they are good at what they do. My personal favourite tracks were "Reinventing Your Exit," "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" and "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape." But that doesn't mean the rest of the album is crap. I could listen to every song on this album over and over but those particular tracks stood out to me. I love that they've set a new benchmark for their genre of music (whatever that is). Hopefully this album will draw a larger fan base to this genre. I would buy this album again if it were stolen (which is likely, since it's so good) or lost because it's just so unique. In my opinion, if you're a screamo fan, get this album. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: Ambulance X, on july 22, 2005

Sound: Underoath has changed quite a bit since former vocalist Dallas Taylor bailed on them. Spencer Chamberlain stepped up to the mic and in my honest, truthful opinion, did a medicore job. He changed Underoath from a christian death-metal/hardcore (whatever you really want to call them) band into a mediocre emocore band. In spite of the line-up change, they did an alright job on this album, with some good, decent, and downright horrible songs. For the so-so effort, I'll give their sound a three. It's changed far too much, and some for the worst. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics have changed immensely since Dallas left. They went from half-way emo/semi-emo lyircs to full-on emo. This has a lot to do with their new sound. Although their new lyrics gained them new fans, I have to say, it lost legions of them. The lyrics, although very heartfelt, are extremely cheesy and cliche at times. I've got to give this another average three. // 6

Overall Impression: Underoath has just changed too much. They're Only Chasing Safety has some good songs on it, but just isn't up to par with earlier albums. Underoath went from a great christian death-metal/hardcore band to just a mediocre emo band that reaches out to all those Taking Back Sunday and The Used fans. I just can't reccomend this album. Borrow it from your friend if you want to see if you want to buy it, but don't rush to your local FYE, Sam Goody or Virgin Store to get it. It's an average album that gets an average score. // 6

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 15, 2005

Sound: Ok well first off, I fell in love with the old album The Changing Of Times and then when I picked up the new album They're Only Chasing Safety I thought wow this is nothing compared to their old album, dont get me wrong I like the new album but I prefer the old ones better. This is a good CD, but made a big change form Christian-metal, to screamo/hardcore. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good in this album they make you think a bit more then what Dallas wrote, but Dallas was one hell of a writer! I think the lyrics go great with the style they have now. As for Spencer singing and Aaron's backup, Aaron has a good voice and adds to the songs good; Spencer hes a good screamer, but he has more of a balanced scream. In my opinon I think Dallas was a way better screamer; I've heard people say that Dallas screams all sound the same, but so do Spencers. Also with Dallas you could feel the emotion within him when he screams. Though I do like the way Spencer screams. // 8

Overall Impression: To me it doesn't compare to their old albums. It compares to other artists like Senses Fail, Hopesfall, Hawthorne Heights, etc. The songs that stand out the most to me are Young And Aspiring, The Impact Of Reason, I Don't Feel Very Recpetive Today, and I'm Content With Losing. I love the lyrics in this album, I hate that its like the mainstream stuff, but I like it though. // 8

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: michealdouglas, on december 05, 2005

Sound: This is extremely dissapointing. The past 3 albums have been nothing less than wonderful. The band has gone through some member changes throughout the years but the sound always stayed true. This album is totally made to go on the radio. It's got more pop influences mixed with some semi-hardcore breakdowns. Many of the songs start with the pop sound and that felling flows through the whole album. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are pretty good. Through their whole carrer UO has been a christian band and that shows through their discography. This album is no different in that the lyrics are positive, christian influenced and overall well written. // 7

Overall Impression: Listening back on albums like Cries Of The Past, Acts Of Depression and most recently Changing Of The Times, and then hearing this come out with the UO label on it, I am very dissapointed. The songs are warted down and seemingly made to have a video and radio following attached to it. I'm not going to say they sold out or something dumb like that because I don't know what they were thinking when they made this but I hope they don't think it again. Definatly buy an older album instead of this one. // 1

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 10, 2006

Sound: I woke up around 3 am in the morning one night and heard what I thought was a temper tantrum from my baby sister. Then I started to hear terrible guitar riffs and dull drum beats. It the hit me, this is Underoath. I borrowed this album from a friend (I'm a classic rock fan I figured I'd give something new a try). I'm now in the process of organizing a crusade to defeat this style of music and revive the classic rock sound. Why people see Underoath as real music is still a mystery to me but I have too go buy a bottle of ibuprofen after hearing about 2 songs from this band. Music should be an enjoyable experience, not a torturous one. // 1

Lyrics: If I knew what the hell they're singing without inventing a scientific device to decode the lyrics I might give the lyric a 2 just because I'm a nice person, but I don't have the skills to invent such a device. The singer sounds like he's bulemic and is gagging on something over the toilet which is not music to me, apparently it is to some people considering this band even exists. I can't stress how much I hate this band and this whole genre of music (my username describes it all). Don't support this band or this style of music, it is plain trash. // 1

Overall Impression: This album belongs to be used as a frisbee, and that might be giving this CD too great of privleges. This is not music. If you play an instrument you should realize this. While these guy's are making money selling the crap they call their music I'm struggling to sell a CD. It's funny how life works. // 1

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: ClassicDisaster, on june 10, 2006

Sound: To be honest, I love the sound of this albulm. Underoath was a metal/hardcore band when they began. Now they are screamo. Most people say thet sold out and they suck now. I loved them then, and I still do now. They bring screamo to new heights on this cd. Every song has intense screaming, with very catchy melodies. // 10

Lyrics: Dallas (Underoath's old vocalist) was good, but I like Spencer's sxream better. I think it's fuller, and it fits well with the music. Aaorn handles the singin, and he has a good voice. Underoath writes great lyrics. They are deep, meaningful, and different from most stuff out there. They are Christian, and their faith is evident in the lyrics, especially on "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape." // 10

Overall Impression: I do not think Underoath sold out. They just tried something new, and I think they suceeded. The entire albulm stod out to me. I love the intense screams coupled with the soft melodies and fast riffs. This is a great CD. I would buy it again right away if it was stolen. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: Ameh =), on july 31, 2006

Sound: I love this album. It sends me to sleep, seriously. Everything just blends so well; the sound of Spencer's voice just makes me go wowie. The twiddly guitar bits that fall under the song, little ornamentals you have to strain to hear, add atmoshere to the songs. I just adore how everything fits together. And although most of the songs are pretty easy to play, they're really catchy and fun as well. I really like their break down bits, especially in 'It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door', that choir was just creepy and smart as. Honestly though, this album totally blows my mind. It's quite, thankfully not too much, different from my once favored album of theirs, The Changing Of Times, but they've come a long way and they sound great. They've learned how to give their songs a specific atmosphere, and yet make the meaning of them mysterious as well. Like you'll be listening to it and it'll be happy and jumpy, then it'll go into a slow, minor-keyed break down. I think the song that projects this most is the last track Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape. it seems really sad at first, with the 'Hey unfaithful I will teach you, to be stronger, hey un graceful I will teach you, to forgive one another.' then they really surprise you with one of the last lines, 'Jesus I'm ready To Come home'. This really gives me a feeling of redemption, of being forgiven by someone he loves, and they're ready to let him back. Maybe a girlfriend? I'm honestly not sure. But whatever the entire album's about, it works for me! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite weird, and a little hard to understand, they come out with really random things. 'I'm a half with boy, cracking a smile and wearing my heart on my sleeve' I think, in Down, Set Go. Also, in Reinventing Your Exit there's a bit that sounds quite 'Oh, what's happening there?' thinks dirty thoughts: 'This is the way, We should have done this, up against the wall up against the wall, you got me up against your wall!' Or 'The Wall', not sure. I think their lyrics let you think what you wanna think. in Reinventing Your Exit, it reminds me of sneaked kisses at school, I don't know why. The songs on Chasing Safety have their own little story lines in them. the only thing is, I wish they were entire stories and not just half told ones! Top notch though. // 10

Overall Impression: I really really really love this album. The art work is really cool the weird hospital theme, the songs are amazing, and UnderOATH themselves? Hey, what can I say? They're out of this world. I've tried my hardest not to seem biased because I really liked Underoath before this album came out, but it's hard, because this album kicks bum! You'd be mad not to love it! Well, my favorite songs on Chasing Safety have to be I'm Content With Losing, A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black And White, and Some Will Seek Forgivenss Others Escape. Everything, from the first track *which has and amazing build up with so lets not even try! To the sad, mournful seeming Some Will Seek. What can I say, it's the best CD I own! // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 04, 2006

Sound: Underoath's senior album, numero cuatro, #4. Who's more excited than me to say this is even better than all their previous albums. They still have the same sound from "The Changing Of Times" but less electronics and somehow even better songs. I don't know how they continue to get better with every album, but they manage to do it somehow. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics, as moving and compelling as every other album from Underoath. The lyrics go hand in hand with the music, they fit perfectly. Spencer and Aaron have amazing vocals, it's awesome when Aaron sings, then Spencer takes it away by screaming the amazing vocals. They both have great voices, for a great band. // 10

Overall Impression: "They're Only Chasing Safety" is a lot like "The Changing Of Times" but better. (Somehow) My favorite songs on this album are "A Boy Brushed Red... Living In Black And White," "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door," "Young And Aspiring," "Reinventing Your Exit" and "I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today." Everything about this album is super nifty, and it's impossible not to love it. If this album were stolen or lost I'd buy it again, with 325 other copies to make sure I'm not without it for a second if it were to be stolen or lost again. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: boyan89, on september 11, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is really good and I really enjoy because no song stays the same on this album which is amazing. The guitarist Tim and James they are amazing guitarist's and this album proves their skill with songs like "A Boy Brushed In Red Living In Black" and "Down Set Go". The drums on this album are overwhelmignly good and Aaron is one talented drummer I'll tell you that much. The bass on this album is really good and I really like it. The keyboards on this album are very good and Underoath have a very skilled keyboardist in their band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very meaningful and if you are going through hard times this album is worth listening and if you are christian you should pick this album up for sure. Spencer is one hell of a screamer he is very talented at his job and when he screams you can understand what he says unlike some bands in the screamo music category. Aaron is a very good singer and when he sings live he is amazing and he's also a very talented drummer as I mentioned above. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other album because it is like nothing I have ever heard. I don't have any favourite songs on this album because all of them are good in their own way. I love everything about this album from beginning to end and I got the special edition to this album which is amazing. I hate nothing about this album because what is their to hate. Underoath don't have any gutiar solos but I personally don't care because their songs don't need solos. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy this album because it is an amazing album. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: Griffer38, on january 24, 2007

Sound: Underoath has been around for a while. Before this CD, they were more known for their metal-sounding music. After losing all original members except for one, they come back with somewhat of an experimental album. Oh, and by the way, this happens to be one of the best CD's you're ever going to hear. Underoath got me hooked on screamo when I started listening to this album. This CD is filled with guitar lines and phrases that'll stay stuck in your head. Tim McTague is an extremely talented guitarist, and he knows how to make some good music. Altogether though, it's just an amazing how all the stuff fits together. Aaron Gillespie's drum beats, subtle keyboards from Chris Dudley, even a children's choir. They really took everything they had and put it into the making of this album. // 10

Lyrics: Underoath can write some pretty cryptic, vague lyrics. Then other times, they're clear as crystal. "A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black Or White" is about a guy who regrets having pre-marital sex with someone. "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" is a powerful song about redemption and desire for peace. And my personal favorite song, "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" is a song filled with emotion with the writer's girlfriend dying in a car accident. Spencer Chamberlain (screamer) is accompanied by Aaron Gillespie's singing, and they make a fine duo. Spencer's screams are some of my favorite out there, just for the good, old throat-shredding sound. Aaron's a fine singer, too. // 10

Overall Impression: Underoath stands out from everyone else I listen to just because of their uniqueness and emotion. They really put everything they have into their music, and it shows. It's really impossible for me to put into words everything I love about this album. I know I may sound like I'm ranting, but I have listened to this album for more than a year now, and it still isn't old on me. If this CD did happen to get broken or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. One final note, if you haven't gotten this CD yet, get the special edition. The DVD that comes along gives a great look into the life of the band, plus live concert footage and a music video. Must-have songs: It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door, A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black And White, Reinventing Your Exit. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: Sleepyhed45, on february 14, 2007

Sound: What first got me hooked on Underoath was this album, They're only chasing saftety is an amazing album. Rienventing your exit, the first UO song I ever heard just captured me right from the start, the addicting riffs, amazing vocals and screams, all backed up by aaron gillespies clean beats. This album is a big contrast from thier former albums like the death metal sound of "act of depression" and cries of the past, and it is an improvement, they went from good, to great, with this album. // 10

Lyrics: Both Aaron Gillespies and Spencer Chamberlains voices, convey thier thoughtful meaningful lyrics through thier music. The bands lyrics are mostly christian with much symbolic meanins, but I feel that these lyrics are lyrics that many people can connect with and relate too. // 10

Overall Impression: Underoath is by far, one of my favorite, or my favorite band ever. Mainly because of This album. It is far better than thier first 3 albums, with a change for the better. And thier powerful riffs, clean rythms andtouching vocals are part of the reason Underoath is blowing other bands away. If you can't find this record in your local record store it wouldn't surprise me, they aren't widely distributed, but deffinately get online and order it, you wont be dissapointed, one of the best albums out there, props to the guys from UO for bringing this out. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2007

Sound: Underoath in themselves are much different than any other screamo band that I have ever heard, and trust me, screamo is my specialty. They have a unique sounsd, especially with the dual vocals. I really like that the drummer (Aaron) sings, and the guitarists just know how to put together melodies like none other. I'm kind of disappointed in the bass work because it's really too simple, except maybe in "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door". The whole keyboard/synth/sample thing usually doesn't really appeal to me, but I think it's really necessary for this bamd. // 9

Lyrics: If you can understand what he's saying in "It's Dangerous Business..." you'll realize that his lyrics are actually way deeper and more important to the song than other bands. They not only talk about depression and the usual stuff that comes with screamo, but they also talk about helping, and learning how to fix things and overcome them. My personal favorite song is "Reinventing Your Exit", and even though the lyrics aren't as deep as other songs, they still really make you think about things. Spencer is without a doubt an amazing screamer, and Aaron has become what I think to be, the best drummer-singer of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't know any screamo bands that have even come close to this level or matured as much as they have. My three favorite songs are "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door", "Reinventing Your Exit", and "I'm Content With Losing". There is nothing about this album that I don't like, and I recommend it to everyone. If this album was stolen from me ten times, I would buy it again every time with a smile on my face because I was getting my CD back. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2008

Sound: This album is simply amazing. They don't just concentrate on one genre of music, they have a wide variety of genres. In fact, a lot of their songs even have more than one genre featured in them. for example, "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" is acoustic and easy-listening for about the first three-fourths of the song, and then they go rather emo-hardcore. This is the first album that features the lead singer Spencer Chamberlain, so he's a little shaky with the screaming, but he gets much better in the next album, "Define the Great Line", and even low screams more thsn high screams. Anyways, the vast variety of genres in this album is incredibly broad, from soft and sweet acoustic, to hardcore emo (possibly screamo). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are brilliant, they are simply amazing. In "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door", it's basically telling a story about a fanatical Christian who drives his car into a tree with the woman he loves in it, so she can be with Jesus and out of this sin-stained world. In "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape", the message is so strong, I was near tears, and it actually takes a lot to do that. Of course, Spencer was new, so he didn't really know what to write about, so he basically just pulled stuff out of his head (I guess we all know how he thinks now). // 8

Overall Impression: This album is overall just incredible. It's nothing like I've ever heard before. I really can't compare it to other artists ot albums, because of not only the incredibility, but the vast variety of the genres. the most impressive song in the album, music wise, would have to be "Down, Set, Go". I can't really explain it, but that song really stands out for me. Lyric-wise, I'd have to say "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape". That song is simply amazing, incredible, extraordinary, etc. when I hear it, it's as if God himself is talking to me. Need I say more? // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2008

Sound: Underoath's fourth album, "Their Only Chasing Safety", is their softest album. It has a more popcore sound to it, although some songs are borderline emo. Spencer, the lead vocalist, only screams high-pitched in this album, although you can usually understand what it is that he's saying. The heaviest track on the album would have to be "I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today", and that's only because Spencer is the only vocalist. However, the softest song is "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape". This track mainly starts out very soft and sweet, the vocals done by Aaron Marsh of Copeland, and then, at the last fourth of the song, Spencer and Aaron (drummer, singer) come in to make up the appitamy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very deep, they talk about many issues. "A Boy Brushed Red, Living in Black and White" is pretty much an anti-premarital-sex song, and "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" says that no matter how much you screw up, God will always be there for you. You can't really tell that they're a Christian band by their lyrics, but you can tell what religions they're not. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't really compare it to any other artist, mainly because I have never heard such a difference of genre in one album. That's one thing I love about Underoath, they don't stick to one genre, they go all over the place. My fave songs are "A Boy Brushed Red", "It's Dangerous Business" and "I don't Feel Very Receptive Today". If I lose it, you can bet your balls and cock (if you're a girl, your guns) I'm going to buy it again! // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: martyrdood, on july 17, 2008

Sound: Beautiful, some find screaming in songs to utterly ruin it, I think, that without it, Underoath wouldn't exist. Starting with "Young and Aspiring", it does a very good job to keep the listener in tune, and some of this song really surprises me, it just hits you, it's not sotck standard, it's differnt to something that you would expect to hear. Then, "A Boy Brushed In Red... Dressed In Black And White". this would have to be one of the best songs on the album, the intro is what draws me in, and the palm muted single sting rhythm really goes down well, then the volume gets gradually cranked up. It also displays what I'd call the perfect mix mix of soft and suttle, with heavy screaming, and Aaron's vocal backing. "The Impact of Reason" doesn't catch me to blindly, not my favourite but still brilliant. "Reinventing your Exit" is awesome. Intro. Body. Conclusion. It's like a story, and the guitars really shine here, with the warm tone coming through very strong. The Blue Note, well if you need to piss or something then I'd say it's a good idea to do it during this song, and be sure you're back asap, you'd miss "It's Dangerous Business Walking out Your Front Door" which would have to be one of their best songs, and the soft breakdowns are timed to perfection, making this my personal favourite. I'm kinda running out of time so i'll finish quickly, buy this album, and never let your eyes away from it, if it is stolen, get a gun find the person and shoot them, then buy another copy so you can have two. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics all make sense. Wow. Generally screamo bands sound like "rawr rawr rawr rawr" but we look at Underoath, listen a bit carefully to Spencer and you'll hear what he's saying. I'm not criticizing Screamo, but it is good that if you have a keen ear you can make out the words, and Aaron's beautiful voice compliments the lyrics very nicely also. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall not perfection, but overall one of my absolute favourite albums of the year. Some songs seem a little out of place like "The Blue Note" but apart from this it's perfect, in every aspect. If you hate this album then just keep listening to The Backstreet Boys, I'm sure they'll release their next big hit soon. // 9

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 24, 2008

Sound: The album has an amazing sound and it seems to show a couple diffrent side to Underoath. You can see thier more metal driven side in Young and Inspiring. In A boy brushed red living in black and white comes a more alternitive side to them. The final song Some seek forgiveness, others escape they show a soft sorta calm side really not knowm bout them. The guitar changes every song and you can see thier range of tallent in this album. // 10

Lyrics: If you listen to the whole album strait through it seems to tell a story of a guy with a screwed up life and at the end he fixes it with God. I do love the story within the album and I think more bands need to do that and know album's are just a bunch of songs in a random order with no meaning. Spencer does a great screaming job the whole time and it's backed up by Aaron's amazing vocals. They don't overpower you with screaming which is nice. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Underoath's best album end of story. Every song is just awesome but the best are A boy brushed red, living in black and white and Some seek forgivness, others escape. If I lost it or it got stolen I would be at the 1st CD store I see and buying it. // 10

They're Only Chasing Safety Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 14, 2011

Sound: After the departure of original screamer Dallas Taylor (Now in Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster), Underoath were completed by Spencer Chamberlain. From the get go you notice the album is nowhere near as heavy as Underoath's early material, but its more progressive, more emotional, more catchy and more in the post-hardcore direction in terms of style. This is where the whole sing/scream vocals and post-hardcore style (that hundreds of bands adopt today), came from. Now, because "They're Only Chasing Safety" is what made Underoath shoot up into the stars among their genre I'll assume for those who read this you know the album or the bands other releases. // 9

Lyrics: Drummer and Singer, Aaron Gillespie, sounds as goods as he did on 02's "The Changing Of Times" (the very first album Aaron started to sing on) and when that's coupled with Spencer's high wailing screams you create a raw yet uncompromising sound. (Aaron also plays the drums quite well though on later albums he is more experimental and faster.) Spencer, on the other hand does not show his true vocal range, with pressure from fans and critics he decided to go with teh high screams instead of his natural loud, deep growls. Though its still great to hear him. guitarists and bassist, James Smith, Timothy McTague and Grant Brandell offer some pretty cool yet simplistic riffs which fit this album perfectly. However, Chris Dudley, their keyboardist/synthesizer, sometimes has his parts are drowned out by everything else. (see later and earlier Underoath releases to see were Chris plays a much larger part in the songs: "Disambiguation" and "Lost In The Sound Of Separation" and "The Changing Of Times.") The lyrics are quite deep and emotional, but uplifting and meaningful, this may be mainly due to the bands Christian background, but hey, lets not judge. Songs like "A Boy Brushed Red" and "Reinventing Your Exit" carry some deep stuff in them. Its no doubt the band wear alot on their sleeve, but this is what might really get into them, where as other bands might hide behind metaphors and such, Underoath tell it how it is. // 9

Overall Impression: Stand out tracks: "A Boy Brushed Red living in Black And White." "The Impact Of Reason." "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door." "I'm Content With Losing" "Reinventing Your Exit." In a couple of years this album will be considered a massive classic, if its not then that is a crime against music in general. It shows a band in their blossoming stage, for those who have heard their later albums you'll know what I mean. 9.5 out of 10. // 10

More Underoath reviews rating latest review
+ (Disambiguation) 8.3 01/20/2011