The March Review

unearth: The March
Released: Oct 14, 2008
Genre: Thrash Metal, Metalcore
Label: Metal Blade
The March is metalcore band Unearth's fourth studio album. It was released on October 14, 2008, through Metal Blade Records.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
The March Reviewed by: skyfire322, on october 22, 2008

Sound: Unearth has gone through some big changes. Not in lineups, but in sound. Their first effort "The Stings Of Conscience" was a great way to get them to the top. "Oncoming Storm" was brutal, in your face and really never had 'dips' in the music. "III: In The Eyes Of Fire" wasn't as impressive, I believe it was a continuation of "Oncoming Storm". As soon as I popped "The March" disc in, I was quite surprised. They have matured very much and I think with this album, they have finally found their niche in the metal scene. // 9

Lyrics: Trevor put forth a wonderful effort. His approach vocally was very impressive. The mix between his chainsaw screaming and his "loud speaking" voice was great. The lyrics were well thought out, and it really does show. It really is hard to find an original heavy metal vocalist in modern metal these days, but I definitely put him in the top 10 vocalists for American metal. // 10

Overall Impression: "The March" is a must have for those of you who are into the new age metal. There hear hints of Avenged Sevenfold in this album with Buzz and Ken's leads, and of course the signature Unearth rhythmic patterns are all there, so do not worry my friends. The songs that are probably the most prominent in "The March" are We Are Not Anonymous, Hail The Shrine, Grave Of Opportunity and My Will Be Done. They have the most "memorable" hooks in the album. The overall mix of the album isn't too bad. The only problem I have with it are the drums and there are some bad edits in the guitar work. The drums are definitely programmed and some of the riffs sound a little cut off(although many big bands are programming, cutting and pasting now a days thanks to technological advances in music production). I'm a European music type of guy myself, but I wouldn't mind listening to this every now and again. Definitely good driving music, or if you want to get pumped up. // 8

The March Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2008

Sound: Unearth have been a rising force in the American metal scene with their fast heavy riffs, dualing guitar harmonies, and brutal break down. The earlier albums helped launch the band to greater heights but their newest release entitled The March, is definately the bands most serious effort to date. The album still retains the original sound the band established with it's intricate melodies, precise guitar riffs, and of course the breakdowns, but this time around there is a more developed sound making The March, an album that seriously puts Unearth on top of the Metal scene. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are of course similar to the previous Unearth albums but are more thougth out and well structured. They do comply quite well with the album and it's musical tone as they include referrences to government, religion and the on going struggles of we face in today's time. The album is actually a concept album based upon the evil and hopeful sides of humanity and The March is like the battle for which side will ultimately win. Trevor's singing is has definately progessed but isn't much different from the previous albums and in my own opinion, he is a great Metal vocalist but certainly nothing that is groundbreaking. As a song writer, his abilities were not at all bad before but certainly on this album is quite an improvement. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that The March is surely the bands greatest peice of work and has already become my favorite Unearth Album. Just from hearing the first track "My Will Be Done", I was utterly amazed at the approach they took on this album and was completely satisfied with the sound of it entirely. The guitar work from both guitarist is more greatly expressed in this album. This time around there are a lot more sweeps and definately more guitar solos which I really enjoy seeing that Buzz McGrath and Ken Susi are excellent guitarist in American Metal. The drums provided by the newest member of the band definatly fits with the style of Unearth but is a little short of the contribution from their previous drummer. The most powerful tracks of the album are the first five, afterward the album becomes somewhat weak towards the end but still keeps it's value. Overall I would say that The March by Unearth is something that most fans of the metalcore audience would certainly enjoy listening to and would agree that Unearth has truly shown that indeed is a force to be reckoned with. // 9

More Unearth reviews rating latest review
+ Watchers Of Rule 8 10/30/2014