The Oncoming Storm Review

unearth: The Oncoming Storm
Released: Jun 29, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
The Oncoming Storm falls short of remarkable, but it's a noteworthy, generally decent demonstration of metalcore's harshly exhilarating powers.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.2
 8.9
 9.5
The Oncoming Storm Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on november 28, 2005

Sound: I first heard the song "Zombie Autopilot" on Headbangers Ball and I thought "damn they are really good" and I imediatly went and bought the cd the next day at best buy for 11 bucks. The 2 guitarist are like the Head and Munky (of Korn) of hardcore (I geuss that's what it would be classified as) they use 7 string Ibanez's and they play really fast and it's just amazing imo. The drummer and bassist are really good also you can actually hear the bass lines ion this CD. The vocalist is really good too he has this really h/c voice and a nice soft melodic voice too. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really catchy and I personally can relate to alot of them (expecially the song failure) the music and vocals go perfect together, you can tell how talented each member is. When the singer gets softer and more melodic so does the music and when the music speeds up the vocals get more heavy. The singer can do both the screaming and soft voice great. // 9

Overall Impression: I consider this CD to be one of the top ten of the best nu metal/h/c albums of the year. a lot of people will say they are no diffrent from any other underground band but if you have ears and you are a true rocker you will be able to hear a major diffrence. My favorite songs on this album have to be Failure, Lie To Purify, Endless, and Zombie Atopilot. I love everything about this album I really can't find anything bad about it, I've been listening to it for the past month non stop. If it were stolen I would be super pissed and then I woudl go buy another copy (since it is normally around 10 bucks). // 10

The Oncoming Storm Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 23, 2006

Sound: Massachusetts metalists Unearth has received a very warm welcome for their "The Oncoming Storm" album even before the release date, getting previews as "the best heavy metal record release since Kill 'Em All." It's the band's debut for Metal Blade and the record company obviously worked hard on the promotion. As for the record itself, surprisingly it's not awfully far from the odes in it's honour. Being the band's second full-length release and produced by Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz, "The Oncoming Storm" just couldn't be bad. Despite their origin roots, Unearth are tending to lean more to Swedish metal sound, having a lot of brutal flavor inwardly. The album is a treasure for those looking for guitar inspiration -- workaholic musicians demonstrate their skilful playing on every track of "The Oncoming Storm." Guitar playing, being the best and the leading theme on the album, is full of colorful and versatile riffs; double guitar attacks amaze by the diversity and richness. Spontaneous variations and tempo changes appear in every song -- the guys push it to the limit of "incredibly fast" and then suddenly slow down to let you have a quick breath. Just to start the fury all over again. The addition of Mike Justain (ex-Red Chord) who sold his soul for playing drums like a machine, brought more rage to the band's sound. There are truly some mighty works with double bass pedal. Even though the work of bassist John "Slo" Maggard is hardly evident, the rhythm section creates a solid base for the controlled chaos of the record. The guys squeezes as much and possible out of instruments. I can't even imagine how many guitar strings and drum sticks were broken recording the album. The stellar guitar work by seven-stringers Ken Susi and Buz McGrath is impressive not only by the number of notes played per second, but also by some great solo lines that are often very close to classics. If not a distortion background, it could well be a part of a symphony. Among all tracks (the majority of which have repetitive structure) "Zombie Autopilot" is a proud owner of the best guitar solos. // 8

Lyrics: Very unusual to hear metalcore record with vocal line not being laid above all instruments. The vocals didn't get the main role in this play, they are eclipsed by sophisticated melodic guitar leads. This is done very wisely as Trevor Phipps' screamo is very mediocre and sounds generic in all songs. You take it as just another instrument, not something that should pronounce words and fill the songs with meaning. Apart from other songs "Lie To Purify" has quite enjoyable screaming. Similar to their colleagues by genre, lyrics reveal the awful truth about despair and decidability of our lives, encouraging us to strike against everything that's going on. // 6

Overall Impression: Unearth are very professional at what they do, the quality of music is polished to the perfection. The band pushes the music to the extreme level, kindly leaving just one step, so it would be listenable. The guys are definitely trying to compose another "Fly Of A Bumble-Bee" masterpiece -- the guitar work is ridiculously fast and drums often sound like electronic effects. As most of the debut records with the pretension to a break-through album, this one has a bonus feature -- live video for "Black Hearts Now Reign." When you see the guitarist with a long face torturing the guitar, you get the point. Professional playing doesn't always make a good song, neither it can hide the lack of originality in the sound. Even though there's a lot to be said about the playing technique, there's not much of soul and differentially in the music. Songs are too complicated to remember and differ one from another. That's a huge disadvantage and spoils the entire impression of the record. To enjoy the music you gotta have some background. If you're a metalcore lover, most definitely you'll love the band. If you're not... I doubt something, except of the speedy playing will impress you. // 6

The Oncoming Storm Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2006

Sound: I was impressed with this CD. When I first bought this album I was ecpecting just another metal band but when I popped it into the CD player the sound totally changed the way I think about Metal. Using a 7 string guitar definately pays off in this album. The riffs are very technical and the bass line is solid. The drumming is along the lines of As I Lay Dying. The guitar pops in a few solos here and there and they are very pleasing to the ear. // 10

Lyrics: Christian influence is noticeable in the songs. Most of the songs talk about spirituality and, of course, the ridiculing of our government which you see in most Metal bands today (Lamb Of God, System Of A Down, etc). The vocals can be compared to August Burns Red but that isn't a bad thing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album made it to my top 5 bands spot. I was very impressed with the structure of the songs and the technical guitars and skillful drumming. The vocals match the music perfectly. If this album were stolen I would cry myself to sleep everyday until I made enough money to get me another one. // 10

The Oncoming Storm Reviewed by: BleedthrougH, on november 15, 2004

Sound: A very brutal guitar sound overall. It has a very hardcore sound to it. Alot of the music reminds me of Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, and Soilwork. Alot of the trademark metalcore guitar work goes on. But the breakdowns and riff styles are pretty unique from the rest of the hardcore scene. // 8

Lyrics: Alot of variety in lyrics. The Great Divides seems to be about politics while Failure seems to be about regret and Black Hearts Now Reign seems to be about how the world's going to hell. Trevor Phipps is a very brutal singer who goes very well with the brutal music. It would be a little better if he could sing every once and awhile but these days screaming all the time is normal. // 10

Overall Impression: Unearth matches up with Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and Lamb Of God nicely. The Great Divides, This Lying World, Predetermined Sky, Endless, Lie To Purify, and Black Hearts Now Reign are the best songs on the cd. They are all very brutal and good songs with good riffs and make you want to mosh. It is a very good album that almost every metalcore fan should own. And if it were stolen or lost (if not broke) I would definetely buy it again (especially since it was only 12 bucks!) // 10

The Oncoming Storm Reviewed by: Zorrobudday, on december 09, 2005

Sound: Although the sound that these guys display has been copied over and over again, one cannot deny the true awesome metalness of it all. The Oncoming Storm is a blast. It hits you head on and doesn't hold up. The drums are perfect as clockwork, and the tight rythyms make for expectedly superb breakdowns. Top notch metalcore. // 10

Lyrics: When it comes to metalcore, it is hard to judge a person by their screaming. Basically, this guy can scream. That's all that is needed. The lyrics are interesting, angry of course, dealing with issues such as the terrible state of the world and the hole that the human race may be digging itself into (see the album cover for more reference). // 9

Overall Impression: If you're heavy into the metal riffs and double bass pedals, then Unearth is basically comprised of gods. These guys are in the same genre as As I Lay Dying, Misery Signals, and Darkest Hour. It's metal, with just enough of those breakdowns to make it "core." Fun stuff to head bang to with friends. // 9

More Unearth reviews rating latest review
+ Watchers Of Rule 8 10/30/2014