Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? Review

artist: unicorns date: 03/20/2006 category: compact discs
unicorns: Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?
Release Date: Oct 21, 2003
Label: Alien8
Genres: Lo-Fi, Indie Rock, Indie Pop
It has some accessible moments, while balancing some ambitious ideas with synths, recorder, pennywhistle, and clarinet.
 9.2
 9.3
 9.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? Reviewed by: YAY_FOR_PIE, on march 20, 2006

Sound: The Unicorn's CD, Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?, is nothing short of amazing. They have their own unique sound that no one else will ever be able to mimick. Fusing indie rock with catchy little keyboard and flute tunes, these guys pack a punch with every song on the CD. On the back of the CD case it says, "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? features thirteen tracks deeply rooted in careful songwriting and lo-fi pop experimentalism," and they couldn't be more right. // 10

Lyrics: Also on the back of the CD case it says, "The Unicorns have a gift for blending a morbid sense of humour with irresistable pop melodies caked with beautiful vocals employing thoughtful, near-sacred lyrics." As well as the last quote I mentioned, they hit the nail on the head again. The lyrics are just as clever and witty as the sound itself. The singer isn't the greatest, but he still is good. Even though he can sound a little whiny at times, it fits really well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the only CD I have by The Unicorns, and if I could get a hold of anything else by them, I would in a heartbeat. My favorite songs off of this CD are I Don't Want to Die, Tuff Ghost, Jellybones, The Clap, Let's Get Known, and Les Os. I love everything about this CD and hate nothing. It's perfect for anyone who is into Indie. If this CD was lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again. I can't go without The Unicorns in my musical library! // 10

Comments