Imaginary Enemy Review

used: Imaginary Enemy
Released: Apr 1, 2014
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Rock
Label: GAS Union, Hopeless Records
Talk about blurring genre lines, The Used release an album that flirts with a dozen different sub-genres or so to create their sixth full-length studio effort.
 5.7
 5.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
Imaginary Enemy Featured review by: UG Team, on april 04, 2014

Sound: The Used formed in 2001, and received a lot of their initial recognition when vocalist, Bert McCracken, dated Ozzy's daughter, Kelly Osbourne, in 2003. Their sound has been described by a long list of sub-genres, but they are basically just a straight forward rock/punk rock band that flirts with multiple genres, from metal to pop. "Imaginary Enemy" is the band's sixth full-length studio album, and the first album to be released under the band's own GAS Union label, though they've released their previous album on another independent label they created. The album contains 11 tracks and clocks in at around 54 minutes. The last track, "Overdose," contains a secret track, with 7 minutes of the track being silence between "Overdose" and the secret track. The track "Cry" was released as the first single from the album in early February.

The album opens with the track "Revolution," which has part of a speech or monologue playing for the first few seconds, then moves into the actual song, with a weird little breakdown in the middle of the track. The track tries to do a lot of things from beginning to end. Next is the single, "Cry," which is a little too heavy on the auto-tune for me. Next is "El-Oh-Vee-Ee", which I guess is supposed to be a cute song title but honestly it feels really contrived. "A Song to Stifle Imperial Progress (A Work in Progress)" is one of the heavier tracks on the album and it actually has a nice groove but I'm not sure how the lyrics will go over with everybody, as the chorus of "We're saying no way, no way U.S.A." might hit a few people the wrong way. "Generation Throwaway" has some kind of clapping and stomping percussion going on to do that big epic ballad thing - the song basically built around the message that "we're not generation throwaway." "Make Believe" is basically a straight forward pop punk track, but a pretty decent song for that style. "Evolution" is a "tender" sounding song that actually was kind of boring except for a weird little part in the middle, kind of like a breakdown. The title track, "Imaginary Enemy" has a fairly interesting bass line but from there this one kind of fades into the background. "Kenna Song" is another song where they're trying to pull off some kind of slow ballad that builds up over the track, but I don't feel like they pulled it off successfully. "Force Without Violence" sounds like it is going to get heavy any second but then never actually does. "Overdose" is the last track, which fades in very slowly and is basically a song about comparing love to overdosing on drugs. There is a hidden track after about 7 minutes of silence (and some random percussion sounds) after "Overdose" ends. The hidden track is basically one of those programs that read the notepad telling a story, and later some instrumentation comes in for the latter part of it. The actual words seem to be mostly free association. At the end of the day a band that was initially applauded for their raw sound and very little production sounds on their sixth release like they were over-produced very poorly. Again, the album isn't horrible, but it does kind of fade into the background noise rather easily. // 7

Lyrics: Bert McCracken provides vocals on the album, but the difference on this album is he recorded his lyrics/vocals FIRST, then the band wrote music around them. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. I can get that maybe he wrote the vocals and maybe even recorded a rough demo to work from… but he recorded the actual vocals used on the album, then the band wrote music to support them. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The actual vocal performance on the album is okay, but personally I feel like Bert McCracken's vocals have a tendency to sound generic. They aren't bad, they're pretty good, but they're not distinctive and they're not exceptional. Quin and Jeph provide backing vocals on the album, which are sufficient. The lyrics from the album are pretty much standard modern rock/punk rock fare, with nothing exceptional. As a sample of the lyrics, here are some from the single "Cry": "You'll never know what it feels like til you're there/ when love changes, faces appear from nowhere/ where beautiful, lovely is ugly or alone/ you need me back bad, just can't be on your own/ love is not a battle, it's a ticking time bomb/ I'm gonna let you bleed for a little bit/ I'm gonna make you beg just for making me cry/ I'm gonna make you wish you never said goodbye." I'll let those lyrics speak for themselves. // 7

Overall Impression: I can't even say I was underwhelmed, as that would signify a stronger reaction to this album than I feel. The music isn't bad - but it isn't blowing me away in any kind of way. I initially sat down to review this album and listened to it a few times, started writing and scrapped what I was working on. I finally revisited the album and tried again - the album isn't bad, but it isn't good. It is ultimately a forgettable album. I don't really have any favorite songs, but I do have a least favorite - the closing track "Overdose," with the track "El-Oh-Vee-Ee" being a very close second-worst track. Honestly, several of the tracks seem like parts were put together just blatantly cut and paste. That is what really makes it difficult to give this album a higher rating. I'm a hater of The Used, in general, as I liked most of their previous releases well enough - but this album just isn't doing it for me. // 6

- Brandon East (c) 2014

Imaginary Enemy Reviewed by: vppark2, on april 08, 2014

Sound: I have never been a very huge fan of The Used, but I have noticed the works that they have created these past few years. But at this point, I have noticed how a number of people have been saying that this band is now irrelevant. While their first two albums have been claimed their best works by a number of fans, there will still be some people who have enjoyed some of their more recent works. I, for one enjoyed "Vulnerable" due to the fact that it was different. They weren't trying to rehash material from any album, but instead throw in some synths, vocal effects, etc. To keep the listener interested. All at the same time, that album was much different to their previous works. I thought it was a great album to jam out to, especially once summer hit. This album, on the other hand, seems to have taken a lot of that catchy, chorus driven tracks that was present on "Vulnerable" and basically make it more boring. // 6

Lyrics: Bert has his way of attracting an audience, vocally. Bert has not lost his touch in the vocal section. But the things that you should expect from this album, lyrically, are pop-driven choruses repeated over and over again. Take the very first track from the album, "Revolution," for example.

"This is the end
Calling for revolution
Burn: like a fire in the rain."

Basically, the song is just boring. To continue the cheesy, boring descriptions, "A Song to Stifle Imperial Progression (A Work in Progress)" has a great message, but holy crap, was the song overdone to all hell. Basically, the song is about the war on drugs, and poverty. But the main line, "We're sayin no way, no way USA." is literally driven into my skull. The chanting is also present on the next track, "Generation Throwaway." This is literally the most poppy form of The Used that I have ever seen. I could definitely imagine hearing this song on the radio, while my ears bleed. Probably one of the few highlights on the album, and not even a major highlight, comes from "Evolution":

"Call me a traitor for changing my mind
Call me a criminal if thinking's a crime
Call me an animal, it's hard to define
Don't care what you say: I came to defy.
I've come so far." // 5

Overall Impression: I really don't have a favorite track from this album, but if anything, it would be between "Evolution" or "Force Without Violence." I don't know if this album compares to other artists, in all honesty. The album really has a lot of lows. At least with "Vulnerable," it did not sound like a bunch of noise, with a pop-driven chorus on just about every single track. This album just feels like an uninspired mess. If there were cooler guitar licks, then I could possibly give this album a bit more justice, but that's not happening. // 5

More Used reviews rating latest review
+ Vulnerable 8 04/16/2012