We All Need A Reason To Believe Review

valencia: We All Need A Reason To Believe
Released: Aug 26, 2008
Genre: Pop Punk, Alternative Rock
Label: Columbia
Valencia follow similar pop punk trends with their get-up-and-go charges and rattling chord rotations displayed all throughout their sophomore release We All Need A Reason To Believe.
 7.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
We All Need A Reason To Believe Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on october 20, 2008

Sound: Valencia follow similar pop punk trends relatable to Cartel and Good Charlotte with their get-up-and-go charges and rattling chord rotations displayed all throughout their sophomore release We All Need A Reason To Believe. The band's guitarists Brendan Walter and J.D. Perry make patches of chords that undergo various metamorphoses while the pounding of bassist George Ciukurescu and drummer Maxim Soria rain down with a sledgehammer boom. Tracks like Head In Hands and Where Did You Go? are adhered by formulaic pop punk patterns as lead singer Shane Henderson switches between a soft melodic resonance and a passionate throaty roar. His singing in Carry On is prophetic as he sounds like he is speaking to someone that was very special to him with words like, Well, I've hurt and I've aged but I found it in my heart to believe you are home. By this fifth track, you have the hang of how Valencia's songs go, how they are sowed and put together. Though their playing keeps within an approved pop punk zone, their songs are fun and give off feel-good-vibes. The melodies sink in along the verses and soar through the choruses creating chord progressions that morph into various degrees of twisted lines which wind-up at different tempo rates. The vibrating reels in The Good Life produce bustling movements while the frothy chord expansions of Free show a strong will penetrating the lifts. The music and Henderson's singing show an undertow of mourning and an overwhelming push through feeling defeated and sullen. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrical themes revolve around keeping an optimistic attitude, and approaching bad events that come into life with a glint of positivity. The song All At Once projects this propensity to be positive, If I try to turn my life back around, it's so hard 'cause I'm on a path I've never been down / I've got to think that this might be the one way that I can go / You had faith in me and this is all for you / I've been thinking that you and I, we just need a little time / We'll figure out where we both went wrong and we'll make it right. The lyrics are like reading excerpts from someone's private diary. The language used is very straightforward and revealing so anyone can feel connected to the emotions being exposed. // 7

Overall Impression: Valencia's music is straight-up pop punk at it's most optimistic level. Their second album We All Need A Reason To Believe explores what happens when five young men are suddenly forced to deal with some very adult issues. In this way, it is unlike the band's 2005 debut album This Could Be A Possibility which had a lighter fare of pop punk and lyrical themes. The tracks on We All Need A Reason To Believe seem pulled by a strong will that motors the band's lifts, charges, and chord expansions. It's an album that feels like a soundtrack for a movie with a storyline about how people gather what's left of past memories and find a special place in their hearts to keep them safe and warm. Unlike other bands that are motivated by feelings of hurt and angst, Valencia's songs are not about burying, brutalizing or forgetting the loses in life, but showing them some affection. // 7

Comments