Diver Down Review

van halen: Diver Down
Release Date: Apr 14, 1982
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Arena Rock, Album Rock, Pop-Metal, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal
All of the songs are professionally performed, and the music features more ideas than most previous Van Halen albums, but the lack of strong original material makes Diver Down less of an accomplishment than it appears.
 8.3
 8.2
 8.3
Diver Down Reviewed by: Lin, on august 05, 2006

Sound: Although Fair Warning certainly rocked hard, it marginally undersold previous releases. Perhaps fearing the end, the band released Diver Down just a year later. This is evidenced by the albums back cover, which depicts the band playing arena sized shows. And that is surely where they intended to stay, (over)compensating with this streamlined release. Unfortunately, this marked the first signs of writer's block the band had faced (understandable at the rate they were releasing albums). The disc clocks in at just over half an hour and features no fewer than five covers (including sure fire hits like (oh) Pretty Woman and shorter novelty numbers like Happy Trails). But what originals there are are surprisingly good, pre-empting the more melodic song writing that was to mark the hight of Van Halen's popularity with 1984. Little guitars is a flawed song but fantastic once it gets going and Hang Em's High would arguably have been a great choice for a single. Also of note is Cathedral, another EVH instrumental. Yes, it is actually played on guitar, albeit with constant volume knob wabbling. // 7

Lyrics: If evidence was ever needed that Dave Lee Roth was the better of the two VH lyricists, it can be found on tracks like Secrets and Little Guitars. He may come back to the familiar themes of sex and girls, but he can do it with wit and subtlety, and create superb visual imagery as he does so. Yes, he is Sexy rather than Sexist. But since the album is dominated by covers, his poeticism is largely irrelevant. // 7

Overall Impression: So what we have here is an accomplished release, but a somewhat forced one. An upside is that unlike albums such as Women And Children First, the variety of material stops the album from blending into one. However, the band was saving up for 1984, and it shows. Still, it is well worth the price tag for a Van Halen fan, and this is usually pretty low given that is something of a bargain bin staple. // 7

Diver Down Reviewed by: E V H 5150, on august 30, 2006

Sound: Van Halen sounds great, like they always do. But that depends on if you like David Lee Roth. Some of the songs are expected of Van Halen, like "Where Have All The Good Times Gone!". But two slightly odd ones would be "Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now" has EVH's and AVH's father Jan Van Halen, playing the clarinet, and there's even a solo. The other one would be "Happy Trails", which shows every member's ability to sing. Eddie's little solo-peice for this album is Cathedral, which is a great display of using delay, and the intro to Little Guitars is a great acoustic solo. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. It's David Lee Roth singing. The lyrics go along with the songs, and are usually relevant. I like the song "Happy Trails" because it's only vocals. Dave sings lead, and everybody else is in the background. EVH, AVH an Mike aren't the greatest singers, but it's still a nice little song. Dave is a good singer, though I do prefer Sammy Hagar. // 9

Overall Impression: It is much better than other albums I have. I own 7 Van Halen albums, two of them being 2-disc sets. It features some of my favorites, like a cover of Roy Orbison's "(Oh) Pretty Woman", Little Guitars, and Cathedral. Those songs were the reason I bought it, besides having money and the fact it was VH. I like everything about this album. I can't think of anything wrong with any of the tracks on thgis album, except the intro to Pretty Woman. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, unless somebody stole the case. It's not the original CD or Case, it being a Remastered. I have it stored on my computer, which would explain almost 30 hours of music, 9 of them being Van Halen. // 10

More Van Halen reviews rating latest review