For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Review

van halen: For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Release Date: Jun 17, 1991
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Pop-Metal
At times, it recalls the sleek hard rock of Hagar's early '80s albums, and it's undeniable that his limited vocal power had a great deal to do with the obvious nature of most of this music.
 8.8
 9.2
 8.4
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Reviewed by: ednred5150, on november 19, 2005

Sound: This album is without a doubt the best Van Halen album with Sammy Hagar. I am not going to compare the band with Sammy to the band with David Lee Roth because they are both great and have completely different styles. I love Van Halen with eather one and do not like one better than the other. But this album is amazing. It's got songs like Poundcake, Judgement Day, Spanked, Runaround, Right Now, and Top Of The World. Eddie Van Halen yet again opens up the album with something mindblowing, this time an electric drill he puts up to his guitar and makes an incredible sound. All of the other Van Halen albums are great, but the boys are somkin here. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are so cool. Especially on Spanked. It talks about a hotline and has very cool lyrics. I really recommend you to look up the lyrics to this song because this is one of my favorite Van Halen songs and not many people no about. The lyrics on Poundcake, Judgement Day, and Right Now are great too. They are great on every track, but those four are the highlights. // 10

Overall Impression: Van Halen albums do not sound like anybody else because they are just too good. Eddie Van Halen is an amazing musician and the best guitar player on the planet. If you don't believe me, watch his solo on Live: Right Here Right Now. It is just amazing. I alomost come to tears when I watch it because he is just so good. People always rate him on Eruption. He did so much better stuff than that. Although it is the song that changed rock n roll, he did so much more amazing things. People who say Satriani is better just no nothing about Van Halen and have only heard a couple songs. I love Joe Satriani, but wake up people, Eddie would blow him off the stage. If this album was stolen I would not be able to live without buying it again. // 10

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Reviewed by: dustnbones316, on december 04, 2006

Sound: As stated before, this probably the best album Van Halen has done with Sammy. When I first heard this album I was blown away. This album has both hard rockin' and softer love tunes and I myself have always loved both types of songs. I think the drill was awesome on "Poundcake". I think this album still held that raw sound you heard on all the albums with Dave. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are superb, especially on songs like "Right Now" and "Top Of The World". This album also has the raunchy lyrics you look for in rock n' roll. This is heard in songs like "Poundcake" and "Spanked". There's also more serious lyrics like "In N'Out"(which is about debt) and "Judgment Day". This is definetly a lyrical achievement for Van Halen. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is Sammy's equivalent to the original "Van Halen" album. The album, in my opinion, is one big highlight of Van Halen's career. Some of the best songs are "Poundcake", "Runaround", "In N'Out", "The Dream Is Over", "Right Now", "316", and "Top Of The World". Not only did I mlove the sound and lyrics, I also thought the title was clever (For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge=F.U.C.K). I don't hate anything about this album. If the album was stolen or lost I would buy it again and buy an extra copy incase it happened again. // 10

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Reviewed by: guitfiddleRR, on september 29, 2010

Sound: Van Halen's ninth studio album "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" also known as "F.U.C.K" is VH's third studio album with singer Sammy Hagar. By 1991, Van Halen hand established their new sound with Hagar, and many fans had turned away in disappointment. So is this album just another piece of audible crap from Van Hagar? Not exactly. This one is actually done well. Starting with the tone of the guitar and the drums, It sounds like they wanted to return to their rock and roll roots with this album. As a matter of fact, that is how the album was marketed. This was the first album recorded without Eddie's Marshall Plexi amplifier, he instead used a 1989 Soldano head, which brings a new and interesting tone to the album. The album is opened with an electric drill being held against the strings. An effect done previously, and honestly better by Paul Gilbert, but it still makes an awesome sound.it The drums are also very raw, which I took as a musical compliment. The drums are more driving in this album than any other VH album, in my opinion. Not every song is excellent on this album, but it sure has a lot of excellent selections. // 8

Lyrics: The best way to start the review of the lyrics is to start with the cleverly thought out album title. Given that there was a lot of controversy surrounding censorship at this time, Hagar and the band wanted to respond by simply name the album "F*CK". Then, believing that the word was an acronym for the phrase "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", the title was born. Though this is a false belief, it still makes for a kickin' album title. As far as the lyrics themselves, they aren't the most impressive I have heard from VH, and lost me during some songs. However, they seem to coincide with the music incredibly well. Its obvious that there was time spent on the musical development of the songs. Though I personally prefer David Lee Roth as VH's frontman, Hagar proved his own worth with this album. It mustn't be forgotten that Hagar is very talented himself. It shows on this record. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is actually a pretty good record. Granted it is Van Hagar but to be honest, Its the only Van Hagar album I actually liked. It was marketed as their return to their roots and it seemed to do just that, but still explore some new territory. I think by this time, Van Halen was coinciding well with Hagar. It takes some time to adapt to a new front man and writer and this is definitely the best work they ever did with him. The albums best songs are "Poundcake", "Judgement Day", "Pleasure Dome", "Runaround", "Top of the world" and "Right Now". "Right Now" is particularly nice not just because it replaced the outdated, cliche synthesizer with an actual piano, but because it sounds like a Meat Loaf song being performed by VH. Its truly awesome. It still doesn't top anything that the band did with David Lee Roth, but it still proves that they cared about making good music, even after changing singers. It is at the very least, worth a listen. // 8

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Reviewed by: cris9310, on june 21, 2011

Sound: The "F.U.C.K." album is Van Halen's 3rd album with singer Sammy Hagar. Although the full name is "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", this aren't the correct words that make the f--k acronym, Sammy was told by a friend that those words were the real definition of f--k, and that became the title of the new album. I am a huge Van Halen fan, both with Roth and Hagar, and even some Cherone, and this album is probably the best with Hagar. Unlike with "5150" and "OU812", the production on this one is magnificent, and both the drums and the guitar tone seem to finally be completely repaired, also the synths are over and give space for a heavy piano. Speaking of the guitar tone, Eddie used a different amp this time, instead of his usual Marshall. And it Shows. I still can't figure out how he got that single coil kind of sound from a humbucker in "Runaround". This album has quite a bit of experimentation on Eddie's part, first of all this was the first time he used a Wah pedal, and he used it in most of the solos on the album, also there is "Spanked", where he uses a double necked guitar, one neck in standard, and the other is a whole octave below standard which is something pretty original in my opinion. There's also an instrumental Eddie had been playing in his live solos since 1985 "316" dedicated to Wolfgang. I kind of feel it like a little lullaby to put a baby to sleep, but I don't know exactly what it objective is. The whole band is pretty tight. Alex made some nice breaks and arrangements and, as always he along with Mikey made some of the weirdest yet amazingly cool rhythms for Eddie to blow away the listener with his solos. // 9

Lyrics: I myself am not a lyricist, a singer or anything like that, but I can distiguish a good singer from a bad one. Sammy seems to have made a huge effort in this album, sometimes his vocal work gets a little extreme, a good example? Runaround, he gets pretty high in that song, and even though everything was ok in the tour for "F.U.C.K.", he couldnt get that high in the "Balance" tour and the band had to tune down. The lyrics are mostly your typical Hagar lyrics. Sex, Rock'n Roll, and some Motivacional lyrics ("Right Now"). One of the things I've found out by listening to Van Halen overall, is that: 1. The backing vocals from Eddie and specially Mikey are awesome for practicing your vocal skills 2. Both Hagar and Roth like to make phrases for the audience to repeat, examples in this album? "In 'N Out", "Right Now", "Top Of The World" and more. The only song I don't really understand is "Pleasure Dome"; musically this is one of Van Halen's more experimental stuff, but lyrically I don't understand sh-t. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was a huge step up in production after the two first albums with Hagar and apparently the new decade made the band take a different way from those albums too. It is a good combination of past Van Halen, with some new stuff Eddie and co. Came up with. And even though it had some comercial and mainstream objective, it also had a good amount of good non-commercial songs. Most impressive stuff in this album is "Right Now", "Judgement Day", "Runaround", "Man On A Mission" and "Poundcake". I would definitely buy this again if it got lost of something. // 9

More Van Halen reviews rating latest review