The Best Of Both Worlds Review

van halen: The Best Of Both Worlds
Released: Jul 20, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock, Pop-Metal
To promote the tour, the band assembled a new hits compilation, the double-disc, 36-track Best of Both Worlds.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.1
 9.5
 8.6
The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: mccabe24, on march 08, 2006

Sound: Eddie Van Halen's tone is so unique that it only takes you about a second to recognise it. I once did a test by playing three different versions of You Really Got Me for about 3 seconds. It was unbelivably obvious which one was by Van Halen! There a also a few songs where Eddie plays a synthisiser instead of a guitar. The songs are all extremly entertaining and fun to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Who writes a love song about aliens?!? The the messed and twisted, but no less briliant lyrics of Van Halen shine on this album! I don't know if it is considered lyrics, but what Sammy Haggar says during Panama Live is pretty funny and entertaining. Haggar and David Lee Roth are both exellent singers. And for thouse of you wondering, the love song about aliens is Love Walks In. That is probably the best song lyricly that you will ever hear by Van Halen. // 10

Overall Impression: The only problem I had with this CD is that when you listen to all of one CD, a lot of the songs start to sound the same. But there are a lot more goods then bads. My favorite part of the album is the three songs, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Panama and Jump that they recorded live. When you listen to these, you can just fell the atmospher that must have been there. // 9

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on january 24, 2007

Sound: I've only just started listening to Van Halen in the last couple of months. I'm a massive fan of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Def Leppard (British metal/heavy metal). I'd heard some songs before such as Jump and Eruption, Aint Talkin Bout Love and Panama, but I had never really got into it. I started listening again and this time I grew a fondness to it. I had some spare B'day money left sop I bought this album to get a good collection of VH songs. I am a massive admirer of EVH and have been this I started playing and I've grown to respect his music a lot more now. The CD is a mix of all of VH's albums. Including the first ones such as Van Halen and Van Halen 2 to some of the later ones such as Balance and 5150 and even some new recordings. Including both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. It is a meal album, but it is classic metal so all the songs have a melody and it's singing not screaming. There is a lot of synth on this album. Some great soloing and both sets of vocals are really great. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't paid much attention to the lyrics but listening to Jump and songs like Panama and Hots For The Teacher, you can see that the songwriting ability is massive within Van Halen. They are some humourous lyrics and some more serious ones. As I said before, the vocals are really good. Nice and clear and loud. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't compare it to other albums by Van Halen but if you're new to Van Halen and you want to get started on them I highly reccomend this. If you're into Iron Maiden or Def Leppard, I reccomend this. The best songs are Hots for the Teacher, Panama, Jump, Eruption, Jamie's Cryin' and Aint Talkin Bout Love. I was hopinng it would have the song Atomic Punk but it doesn't so that's a bit disappointing for me. But I guess I can just download it. If it was lost or stolen I would reccomend buying it again. I got it for a couple of quid off eBay so it was cheap and a great buy. // 9

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: ZOFO, on august 03, 2004

Sound: Great sound, has all the classics Eruption, Hot For Teacher, Jump, Panama etc. Has some of the newer songs that fit right in with their old albums Up For Breakfast, Learning To See, and It's About Time. // 10

Lyrics: Sammy Hagar is back in the band now, I like David Lee Roth better myself, but this album has plenty of both. Same fun lyrics, Up For Breakfast (new song) has a hot for teacher touch to it. // 10

Overall Impression: This has all the great hits we loved back in the 80's and just overall great tunes. If I lost this cd I would buy it again, it was incredibly cheap for the two-disc set 15 bucks, not bad. // 10

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: joshsirjoshules, on august 28, 2004

Sound: The sound is really good, you never really get bored of hearing "Eruption," you know? EVH plays guitar very well of course, with spontaneous solos such as the one on "You Really Got Me" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." I like how they added some of their new or unreleased stuff on, such as "It's About Time, " because it brings a newer side that, at least, I have never heard before and I like, more grungier, if you get my meaning. And I like how EVH plays keyboards too, on "Jump" and "Dreams," I guess that is why I respect him so much is that he has a background. Al's sa very skilled drummer, see "Hot For Teacher" for details (sorry those are overdubs.) Michael Anthony is a very good bass player can't really say any songs, sorry Mike. Good sound. // 10

Lyrics: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are both very good singers and very good songwriters. Dave has a different sound that I can't really put my finger on, it is very original. Sammy Hagar is a good singer but, again, he has an individual sound that is impossible to compare. Lyrics always comply very well with the song. Also the backing vocals from EVH and Mike are very interesting and I like that quite a bit. // 10

Overall Impression: If this was released in 1977, it would be incomparable, and you know what? It still is! Anyways the more impressive songs are the live songs, "Eruption" of course, "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," "Running With The Devil," "Jump" (if you are listening for guitar, don't listen to it,) and "Dreams." The only thing I don't like about this CD is that it is 2 discs, and what they should've done is put all of Dave's stuff on one disc and put all of Sammy Hagar's stuff on the other. Nothing else, buy it! // 10

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2005

Sound: I got this album when I was really getting into my guitar alot more seriously. Before I got the CD I had heard Hot For Teacher and Eruption and I really liked them so I got this CD and I was really happy that it had those on them and the sound quality was alot better than the versions of the other songs, but I cant really say much about the sound quality of the other songs because Van Halen is a bit before my generation (I'm 14) but I liked the CD. // 10

Lyrics: I like the lyrics quite alot because they have a way of puting together words that suit eachother and are also meaningful. // 10

Overall Impression: I really enjoyed the CD and I still am. It is the CD that is always in my CD player and I only take it out if I'm learning a song on a different CD. If it were stolen, lost or burned to a crisp it would be the first thing I do to buy another 1. // 10

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2005

Sound: This is such a bad ass album. Van Halen is probably one of the greatest bands of all time and on two cds they put together every great hit that they've ever had. The guitar solo on Eruption is incredible. Eddie Van Halen has got to be one fo the best guitarist to every walk this earth and then with a hellatious drum (AVH the second best drummer alive) and a super sweet singer you get nothing but perfection. // 10

Lyrics: There's really nothing to say here they really speak for themselves, and Sammy Hagar is just and amazing singer. // 10

Overall Impression: This has got to be one of the greatest album ever put out by any artist all of the songs are great. I lose my mind listing to the guitar solos and I just love this CD. I would kill (literally) whoever would have the balls to steal this album. I would give it more than a 5 on a rating cuz I think it's better than excellent. I think it deservse at least an 8 out of 5. // 10

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2005

Sound: I love the guitar sounds especially with the effects, because it's not like just blaring noise its talented excellent playing that is really complemented by the sound. I have to say Eddie is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard, and I'm just sad I haven't heard him earlier. Drums also work really well and have great timing etc. // 10

Lyrics: I love the singing style. It keeps with a style of singing the '80s produced greatly. Even though I was born late '80s I simply love the sound of the singing (and guitar and drums) that the '80s produced. This makes me love this album because it has this and great talent in the singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album, especially for me. I am trying to learn the guitar and I wished to move my guitar playing up a level so I decided to learn some of the songs on this album. I have learned Panama, which I enjoyed doing and it is a great song to be able to play. I just hope one day I might be able to play Eruption. I would definatly buy it. I bought it for 8 which is great for a 2 disc CD. I would definatly buy this again if I lost it. // 10

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: Stinging_Acid, on december 26, 2005

Sound: You can't accuse these guys of monotony. They have so much variety, from their heavier "It's About Time" to the fun "Hot For Teacher" and even slower songs like "Dreams." Also, need I mention "Eruption?" They cover quite alot of territory, however some of it better then others. I bought this CD looking for a lot of heart pumping music, while there was plenty of it, and it was great, I was a little dissapointed by the synthesiser in some of the tracks. However, if you like Van Halen, or are looking into them, this CD will throw right into their world. Both of them. // 8

Lyrics: Fun and serious. On the same double album. Up for breakfast is so loaded with metaphors its hard not to love it's crass genious. Some songs are so amazing, they need no lyrics, ie. Eruption. There are some beautiful love ballads, and some great party songs. Take your pick. // 8

Overall Impression: Van Halen is so classic they are hard not to love, and this CD will show you why. The CD is jam packed with their greatest as well as some of their stuff live. Once again, I note the variety. Pick this one up if you are looking for a good time. // 8

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on july 31, 2006

Sound: They sound great. What with the combination of the instruments, and Eddie Van Halen's guitar talent. I'm impartial on the issue, but, Eddie Van Halen is one of the best shredders out there. Music innovations? Hah! Van Halen brought a new brand of metal to the scene when they arrived. Plus, Eddie created 2-handed tapping. I think the music is mostly a bit harsh, but, if you're in the mood for a good party song, this album has plenty of them. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little edgy, especially for the time that they were written. However, each song has a story, and those stories would all be pretty interesting. I must admit that much. The lyrics are good. There are also great instrumental masterpieces. David Lee Roth was good. Very good, in fact. Now, a new brand of vocals. You'd think the change might be a killer, but, it's actually a good change of perspective. Still, David Lee Roth was the completing factor. // 8

Overall Impression: It is comparable to other shredders like Malmsteen, Slash, Steve Vai, and Satriani. I must admit though, I am impressed. My favorites from the album are "Eruption", which is a veritable instrumental masterpiece, "Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Love", which showcases quite a guitar solo, "Panama", which, I believe, is a melodic beauty, and "The Best Of Both Worlds", which is wonderful. Good guitar, good vocals, nice drums, great bass. "You Really Got Me" has an excellent bassline. My favorite overall song for guitar and drums has got to be "Hot For Teacher". The lyrics are quite edgy, however, the super fast drum intro, and the intro solo featuring almost non-stop tapping won me over instantly. Wonderful album, great band. Check 'em out! // 10

The Best Of Both Worlds Reviewed by: TheAxeman97, on april 12, 2011

Sound: If you are a big Van Halen fan, this is the album for you. Its title is the perfect description. There are people who prefer David Lee Roth, like me, and people who prefer Sammy Hagar, like my dad. So we can both enjoy it because it contains great tracks from both singers. When you listen to the David Lee Roth tracks, you can tell it sounds so raw and exciting with tracks like 'Panama' and 'Hot for Teacher.' Then when you listen to Sammy's songs, He just adds such a different colour to it. And it's great! // 10

Lyrics: Dave's lyrics seem to be more about partying and women. Sammy does have lyrics like that in some songs but he isn't as much about sex it's more about romance. Like Sammy says in, "Can't Stop Loving you" it isn't just romance and stuff it's like also friends and in the video boy to dog connections. In 'Hot for Teacher' Dave throws in his little one liners like, "I brought my pencil! Give me something to write on!!" "Teacher needs to see me after school!" and "I think of all the education that I missed, but then my homework was never quite like this!" So I guess Dave's song are a little more sexually oriented than Sammys. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is the album for any true Van Halen fan. My personal favorites are: David Lee Roth: Panama Hot for Teacher Unchained Jamie's Cryin' Sammy Hagar: Can't Stop Loving You Why can't this be Love When it's Love Right Now The only thing I don't like is at the time the album was released Sammy Hagar was still singer and therefore more of the tracks were of him. I don't mind that really but I just prefer David Lee Roth. But if you can't appreciate both singers, than you aren't a true VH fan. // 8

More Van Halen reviews rating latest review