Van Halen Review

van halen: Van Halen
Released: 1978
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock
Van Halen proved to be the ultimate coming-of-age soundtrack to many a teenager since its release.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.5
 9.6
 9.4
Van Halen Reviewed by: CinderellaFan14, on february 10, 2012

Sound: Van Halen rips a hole in the music universe with their debut album, "Van Halen". From first glance, the album emits pure greatness: the unique album cover is enough to lure you into listening to it! It's not good to judge a book by it's cover, but this album is an exception. When you first begin to listen to the album, the intro is a blast of creativity and greatness. When you hear the beginning riffs to "Runnin' With The Devil", you simply get chills. But when it comes to David Lee Roth's vocals, they are unmatched! His signature screams and hollars are the perfect introduction to what would be Van Halen's signature sound. The harmonious background vocals from Eddie Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony are just another great addition to the band. Eddie Van Halen's guitar skills were not shown on the intro song to the album. But Eddie will soon create a whole new meaning to what guitar playing really is with the second track, "Eruption". Not only does Eddie show that a great guitar solo doesn't need to be 10 minutes long, but he also shows how to get the true potential out of a guitar. His talent really comes out with his amazing guitar solo. The talent only continues with "You Really Got Me", which is a remake of a song by The Kinks. Van Halen makes the entire song sound brand new, and Eddie brings his real potential into the song, which was not shown in the intro track. The previous songs seem terrible compared to the Van Halen super hit, "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love". The intro riff is just amazing, and with this song Eddie Van Halen makes his guitar playing unmatched by any other guitar player. The tempo changes to a more upbeat pace with the next song, "I'm The One". This track is most like the first gaze into what Van Halen's future sound would most be like: the harmonious backup vocals, Dave's screeching lead vocals, and Eddie's real potential coming out in each song. This future gaze continues with another Van Halen mega-hit, "Jaime's Cryin'". The guitar work on this song as well as the entire album is just great, as is every other part of the band. The sound from "I'm The One" returns in "Atomic Punk", which is another fast paced, hard rocker. The sound of "You Really Got Me" comes back a little faster in "Feel Your Love Tonight", which is a very enjoyable song. Van Halen needs to show their talent in more areas than moderate hard rock and fast hard rock, so the band comes slow but heavy in "Little Dreamer", which is one of my favorite songs off the album. The harmonious backup vocals that echo after Dave sings are just mesmerizing. The band changes the music world with this song, also, as they show you can make a slow, hard rock song without it being a ballad. The group's talent continues to show with the next track, "Ice Cream Man". Diamond Dave shows his guitar abilities on an acoustic guitar, and he drags his personality throughout the entire song. Right around halfway through the song, the rest of the band kicks in with electric guitar, bass, and signature Alex Van Halen drum talent. To end the album on a fast paced note, the final song off this album is "On Fire". This song is most like "Atomic Punk", and keeps you thinking about the entire band's talent as the album ends. Between Diamond Dave's signature vocal abilities, Eddie's flawless and groundbreaking guitar playing, Michael Anthony's talented bass playing, and Alex Van Halen's perfect drum talent, Van Halen makes the perfect name for itself with this debut album. // 10

Lyrics: Diamond David Lee Roth's vocals on this album are just flawless alone, but his natural charisma just puts his performance over the top. His sound and charisma is what really helped bring Van Halen over the top and made them really stand out. However, Eddie Van Halen and Michael Anthony's backup vocals are just outstanding. In a few of these songs they begin to find those great, harmonious background vocals that would dominate the rest of their albums with Diamond Dave. The lyrics for every song on this album are just great, hard rock lyrics, which David Lee Roth pulls off flawlessly. A truly believe that a few songs such as "Ice Cream Man" would not sound as great if any other rock singer performed them. Diamond Dave is the icing on the cake when it comes to all of these songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Van Halen's debut album is just a masterpiece. The band breaks through the music barrier and shatters the old perception about music altogether. Eddie Van Halen may be the driving force behind this, as he completely sets a new barrier for guitar players around the world for generations to come. I personally enjoy each one of the songs on this album, but the most impressive songs off this album have to be: 1. Eruption/You Really Got Me 2. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love 3. Runnin' With The Devil 4. Ice Cream Man 5. Jaime's Cryin' I cannot believe that there would be anything off this album that anyone could hate. The entire band hits the intellectual goldmine when it comes to this album, as every song is an incredibly enjoyable thrill ride. If this album were stolen, the thief would be subject to a David Lee Roth-style roundhouse kick to the face! Van Halen makes the world scream their name with this album, and the world would continue to for years to come. // 10

Van Halen Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 12, 2004

Sound: The sound will blow your mind. Eddie Van Halen is one of the best guitarists of all time. On Eruption, he plays the guitar so fast that I was completely blown away. The albulm's sound came before their 80's albulm 1984. Alex Van Halen is also excellent on the drums. The sound to me is pure gold. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are classic rock. They take you back to a time when rock was all about good fun. David Lee Roth's Vocals are right on the money. It's a shame he left the band. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm amazed how no one has wrote a review for this albulm. Van Halen's albulm is one of the best rock albulms of all time. The sound is killer. Eddie's guitar playing skills are amazing on the albulm. Try playing eruption on the guitar. It's not that easy. If it was stolen I'd chase the punk down and get it back. For anyone who yearns for a taste of good rock with sick guitar playing look no further than Van Halen's Self titled cd. this cd is a must own for guitar players. It's that essential. // 10

Van Halen Reviewed by: njustice4all, on june 05, 2007

Sound: This album of courese is Van Halen's self titled debut album released in 1978. The sound is incredible in every aspect. Being quality, clearness, vocals, guitar, drums, and lets not forget bass. This album definetly brought in the popular guitar fret tapping saga. Edward Van Halen was the first guitarist to bring in this type of never before seen guitar tapping technique. Add some cool tapping riffs with a lot of speed and accuracy and you have a Van Halen solo my freind. // 9

Lyrics: If there was one word to desbribe David Lee Roth's vocals in this album it would have to be 'crisp'. The lyrics are very clear and easy to hear throughout all of the songs in this album. In most rock songs it is very hard to hear the vocals perfectly and clearly. But that's not the case with this masterpiece. // 9

Overall Impression: Van Halen's first album 'Van Halen' became an instant classic when it first was released. No band can be compared to Van Halen it is one of a kind. There is nothing to hate about this album but the song 'Ice Cream Man', it is completely acoustic with no drums. And in my opinion it really doesn't seem like the other Van Halen songs that we all love and enjoy so much. // 10

Van Halen Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2005

Sound: Absolutely perfect. One of the best sounds to ever come out of a CD player and definitely the best guitar sound to ever come out of an amp. Eddie's work is so innovative and so pure. He changed the way you played the guitar with this album. The album showed everyone what a rock n' roll band is supposed to be. It is so loud and powerful I don't know how you can like rock n' roll and not own and love this album. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, the lyrics are just pure rock n' roll. It's all about sex, women, and having a good time. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music. Dave has one of the greatest voices ever. His flare and attitude make him one of the greatest frontmen of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: No doubt this is one of the greatest albums ever. Probably the best or second best Van Halen album along with "1984." Every single song is great with Eruption being the greatest 2:00 minutes of guitar ever recorded. I love every second of this album. I have to pick my jaw up off the floor every time I listen to it. If I lost this album or someone stole it, I would go buy two. I would use the one for listening and hide the other one in case the same thing happened to the other one. Everyone must own this album. // 10

Van Halen Reviewed by: bruce=lee, on october 07, 2005

Sound: When first skipping through the tracks on this album, I was amazed at the sound quality of this album (my version was the digitally remastered copy) as it first came out in 1978 (I think ). Syles of music on this album are basically metal and hard rock. This CD has some of the most innovative guitar work I have ever heard, it was amazing hearing Eddie Van Halen for the first time. He is one of my favourite guitarists and I love his sound (hi gain) with reverba plenty. Eddie's brother Alex Van Halen is a brilliant drummer (see "Hot For Teacher" intro) though is drumming is not pronounced in this album as there is no drum solo's neither bass solos. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very '70s rock orientated, with many songs involivng women and having a good time. Suits the songs quite alright. David Lee Roth's voice is a clean voice with very little growl in his singing. Personally I like Sammy Hagar (replaced David Lee Roth later on) better as he has a more rock voice. I dislike some of David Lee Roth's singing in certain parts of songs though. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall this is my favourite CD still, even though I have had it for about 4 months thought and it is still in my CD player. The guitar work is fabulous, this album is home to the beloved 'Eruption' song which is amazing pumped up loud (like seeing Star Wars for the 1st time), eruption is my favourite track, but other favourites include 'Running With The Devil', 'You Really Got Me' (cover) 'Ice Cream Man' and most of the others. My least favourite is track is 'Jamies Cryin'. If lost/stolen I would buy the Van Halen album 'Best Of Both Worlds' which is like a greatest hits CD. I would buy this as I think every song from the first album is on it. If your looking for a cheap CD this is the one to buy as it only cost me $11 AUD. // 9

Van Halen Reviewed by: f-e-z, on october 26, 2006

Sound: My impression of Van Halen is that they have a great, original sound that has since been copied but never out-done. They have a distinct sound, "Diamond" Dave Lee Roths Vocals, and Eddie's Guitar, a modified Strat body with one single coil at the neck, and a Gibsn PAF humbucker slapped in at the bridge. They were first discovered by Gene Simmons in 1976, he made them a demo tape that Warner Bros. accepted and took on. I have a copy of said demo tape. It's f--king awesome, not as refined as the album, but a rough-cut diamon nevertheless. Eddie was an innovation unto himself. He popularised tapping and this album is a great example, any guitarist that can listen to Eruption without wincing isn't human. // 10

Lyrics: Vocals in Van Halen are Dave Lee Roth, with the rest of the band on back-up, Edward Van Halen (guitarist) writes most of the stuff though. The are great lyrics, just listen to Ice Cream Man, pure genious. Since Edward writes most of the stuff, the music goes very well with the lyrics and vocals, and the rhythm (bass and drums courtesy of Michael Anthony and Alex Van Halen respectively) is spot on. Singer skills cannot be qestioned, Diamond Dave suits and does everything perfectly, great showman. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't really compare to anything from that time period (1978). I woud say it was a big hit at the time, as no guitar skills like this had been heard since Hendrix, so it has been hailed as the most important album for guitarists since Jimi. Other than that, it's quite unique, and amazing when you think about it. The most impressive songs, in my opinion, are Runnin' With The Devil, Eruption, Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Love, Atomic Punk, Ice Cream Man, and You Really got me (kinks cover). love this album because it's something my dad will never tell me to turn down, as it was the first record he boight, and the first record I bought. I don't hate anything about it, only the image the band carries, you mention Van Halen to anyone, and all they think of is Jump. If it were stolen, I would nuke the thiefs house, and would then buy it again. // 10

Van Halen Reviewed by: E V H 5150, on october 27, 2006

Sound: Unmistakable, pure, Van Halen. 11 tracks. All of which feature distinct EVH distortion. Eruption. Okay, enough of the fragment sections. This CD has 11 tracks, blah blah. Yes, it has Eruption. So what about Eruption, it's mostly just tapping. Personally, I thought Cathedral was a better solo (but that's becuase I can play it). I recieved this as a gift one year. I said I wanted some VH, and I already had the Right Here, Right Now set. I'm more of a Van Hagar fan (crucify me already), but recently, I've been listening to Van Halen. Now, as for music innovations, this entire album is one. A cover of You Really Got Me is perhaps one of the greatest songs VH has preformed. And my anthem-song, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, is also here. Damn, I wish I could get that sound. Then again, I'm listening to it on Windows Media Player, and I adjusted the EQ based on ATBL, so it sounds much better. // 10

Lyrics: I really don't like reviewing CDs because I hardly actually listen to the music. But the lyrics are all okay. You can actually understand the lyrics, so you don't have to search a damn lyrics website. Dave isn't the most singewr I've heard, but it's not fair to compare DLR to Ozzy Osbourne, Tom Petty or Steve Miller. They have different styles, and Dave, though not the best skill-wise, sings exactly how he needs to to match this style of Van Halen. // 9

Overall Impression: Let's be fair in the comparison. I'm not going to compare it to Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Metallica, Steve Miller, or any of the more modern rock bands. But this is my favotite non-Best of or non-Live album, which narrows it down to this one, Diver Down and Balance (which I rented from the public library and loaded onto my computer). I forgot F.U.C.K. which is also a good album. So I'm balanced on my DLR/SH. But F.U.C.K. doesn't have that great of songs on it, and about every song on that, I have a better version of Live. Diver Down was kind of good, but doesn't match up. And Balance, oh God, no way. This is the first Van Halen, and in my opinion, the best. // 10

More Van Halen reviews rating latest review