Kerrang: Field Of Screams Review

4.4
 8.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Kerrang: Field Of Screams Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 04, 2006

Sound: I was leant this album by a friend who had got this CD in Kerrang magazine. This is compilation album from all the bands that were featuring in the 2005 festival circuit. The album contained tracks from Mastadon, Nightwish and Mudvayne from Download, Finch, Simple Plan and Fightstar from the Carling weekend, In Flames, Killswitch Engage and Trvium also from Download, Good Charlotte from V Festival, NOFX from Carling Festival, Transplants from Lock up festival and Alkialine Trio, The Explosion and Nine Black Alps from the Carling Weekend. The mix of Pop Punk, Metal and proper Punk rock is good for all listeners. Everyone can relate to the words of at least 2 songs on the album. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics vary greatly, from simple pop-punk (Simple Plan and Good Charlotte) to emo (Finch and Fightstar), slightly creepy (Mudvayne and Nine Black Alps) and just simply metal (Trivium, Mastadon, Killswitch Engage and In Flames) the best lyrics come from Trivium and In Flames, but the best vocal performances come from Matt Heafy, Troy Sanders and oddly enough the singer from Finch who I can't remember the name of. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, despite the mix of differnet sub genres. This is not the best compliation I have ever come across. The Majority of songs are good: Mastadon, (scarily) Simple Plan, Fightstar, In Flames, Killswitch, Trivium and NOFX. I hate simple plan but the song "Me against the world is catchy but not in a bad, it has one of the best choruses around and is so infectious. Trivium's song is previously unrleased and displays the kind of riffs and soloing that made Ascnedancy a truly classic record. Mastadon were previously unknown to me but now are up there in mmy favourite band list, thier mix of thrash and punk is truly marvellous. If this were a compliation in a shop I would not buy it simply because of the fact that Kerrang has done so many better CDs. "Best Of 2005" and the Master of Puppets tribute are both much better and are compilations that I would buy if I had money to buy them with. // 8

More Various Artists reviews rating latest review