Black Future Review

Genre: Technical/Progressive Thrash Metal
Label: Heavy Artillery Records
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Black Future Reviewed by: Surf_Nicaragua, on february 28, 2011

Sound: The CD of Black Future by Vektor has been in my stereo ever since I bought it back in November of '09 and to this day, I have still not gotten tired of listening to it. The overall sound in this album is phenomenal. The guitars have an ultra-killer tone, that when harmonized or played in unison could shred up and down any venue that these guys came across. The bass is easily heard, and easily recognizable. The drums have a prefect tone, nothing is too loud or too soft, and the bass drum doesn't have that clicky sound to it which makes it seem like a drum machine. The vocals are really unlike anything I've ever heard, but they fit into the music quite well. I really have no idea where to begin on describing how they sound like...it's just one of those things you have to check out for yourself. The overall theme of this album is a bit obvious if you pay attention to the logo, cover art, album title, and the song titles...they're a bit of a spacey/scientific band. As far as genres go, I would probably put them under progressive technical thrash metal. This album has many many unique features to it: it has over an hour of playing time, three songs over 10 minutes, and they tune in F standard...not really something you see too often. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Black Future go from splicing DNA to Destroying the Cosmos, and everything in between. It's a science teacher's wet dream (my science teacher personally loves this album...he grew up with the dudes from Sadus and Death Angel.) But as far as the lyrics tend to go, there's not really any metaphorical meaning to it, it's basically pretty straight forward. The song, Black Future talks about a bleak and darker tomorrow, Deoxyribonucleic Acid fills us in about the wonders of DNA and the such, while Destroying the Cosmos talks about how the universe ends. So there's nothing too special or meaningful about the lyrics. I really have no idea where to begin about the "Singer Skills." David Disanto has some of the most unique vocals I have ever heard out of any band...ever. The first time I heard it, it sounded like he was choking on some bad food, only to find out that this god of a vocalists has some of the gnarliest pipes I've ever heard. For some people, I guess they might take some getting used to, but if you "got used to" bands like Nuclear Assault and Toxik as well as i did, these should be a walk in the park. // 10

Overall Impression: The only comparison I have between this band and anyone else is the logo, which in my mind represents the Voivod logo in a few ways. Other than that, this band has the most originality in an album I've heard since Kill 'Em All. It sort of seems as if they've stumbled upon a new genre of music. Every song on this masterpiece is great, but if i had to choose a few to start someone out with, it would definitely be Oblivion, Destroying the Cosmos, Asteroid, and Forests of Legend. If you're really feeling adventurous, check out Accelerating Universe and Dark Nebula and see for yourself why this album is being praised like it's a gift sent from God himself. There's really nothing to hate about this album, at least I haven't found anything bad about it in the hundreds of times I've listened to it. If this album were stolen or lost, I'd easily go out and buy the next 10 copies, just so it wouldn't happen again. // 10

Comments