Welcome To Hell Review

venom: Welcome To Hell
Released: Jan 12, 1981
Genre: NWOBHM/Black/Speed Metal
Label: Neat Records
This album may have been the start of all things extreme metal. Without "Welcome To Hell" (1981) and Venom's next album "Black Metal" (1982) we possibly wouldn't have any thrash metal, death metal or black metal.
 8.3
 8.7
 7.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Welcome To Hell Reviewed by: Megadethfan245, on july 04, 2011

Sound: This album may have been the start of all things extreme metal. Without "Welcome To Hell" (1981) and Venom's next album "Black Metal" (1982) we possibly wouldn't have any thrash metal, death metal or black metal (the black metal thing is debatable though, but in my opinion it wouldn't exist without them). Venom were just a truly amazing band. I know they are still a band but I say "were" because they aren't Venom anymore to me. They are just Cronos and a few other guys in the band. The Venom on this album is the real Venom. Mantas, Abaddon and Cronos. Everybody's who's ever seen a live Venom video knows they weren't the most "polished" band around but they made up for that with complete raw energy. I found Venom out because I was just going around YouTube one day and saw "welcome To Hell", the name seemed cool so I pressed it. That was the beginning of my Venom days. It was amazing for me to listen to Venom and then other things and find out how much other bands were influenced. In my opinion Slayer is basically Venom's child. They were just a truly amazing and influential band. 1980-1986 were the best years and those years were filled with metal magic. // 9

Lyrics: Well Venom's lyrics are pretty plain really. Hell, Satan, Satanism and death. On this album the lyrics that aren't about hell really are the songs "Schizo" and "Snots Shit". But it does amaze me how many ways they can talk about Hell and Satan so I do applaud them for that. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music without a doubt. Cronos' singing on this album was great. That singing might've started death metal. It's like raspy screaming and I love it. // 8

Overall Impression: "Welcome To Hell" and "Black Metal" are easily the best Venom albums to me at least. "At War With Satan" is also a close competitor. My favorite songs on the album are probably "Witching Hour" and "Schizo". "Witching Hour" is one of my all time favorite songs by anybody. I love everything about this album, the only thing I dislike is that this classic Venom line-up couldn't last any longer because they were truly amazing. If this was lost or stolen I would buy it again in 2 seconds. // 9

More Venom reviews rating latest review
+ Fallen Angels 8.1 12/22/2011