Everything You Want Review

artist: vertical horizon date: 11/13/2003 category: compact discs
vertical horizon: Everything You Want
Released: Jun 15, 1999
Genre: Rock
Tones: Brooding, Melancholy, Earnest, Theatrical, Bittersweet, Reflective, Somber
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, American Trad Rock
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Everything You Want Reviewed by: AGowans, on november 13, 2003

Sound: Vertical Horizon have been known in their time at the top of the charts, for two songs: "Everything You Want" & "You're A God", aswell as releasing the singles "We Are" & "Best I Ever Had", all on their first studio album, Everything You Want. Vertical Horizon known for their indie-rock sounds, continue their trend on E.Y.W, their first major label record. Everysong is unique and different from each other, in one blatent way or another. Such as "Everything You Want's" electric backings, fronted by a melodic acoustic guitar, whereas Miracle shows the somewhat slower side. The variety on the album reveals the shear number of concepts, such as "Best I Ever Had" with its acoustic sounds, and "We Are's" overdriven electric sounds. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically Matt Scanell and Keith Kane can be rarely faulted on this album. The imagery used and metaphors used can rarely be criticised, even though the lyrics are not perfect, the lyrical connection between MS and KK has lead to results which portray the quality of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: As nu-metal takes over, indie-rock is slowly dying, even with VH's new release "Go". However, with an album such as Everything You Want, the genre may sustain itself, for however longer. On the album, the phrase, "stand out song" cannot be used; in my personal opinion every song is one that you can stick in your discman or Hi-Fi and listenn to while doing almost anything. Yes, the album is 4 years past its time, but musically, it's nowhere near. The quality, the music, the lyrics, everything, makes the album well worth buying. // 10

More Vertical Horizon reviews rating latest review