Highly Evolved Review

Lyrics: 7.5
 8.2
 9.7
Highly Evolved Reviewed by: Berlioz97, on july 18, 2003

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best albums out today, I think it is great, although I am not too crazy about the slower songs such as Mary Jane, the best songs are Get Free, In the Jungle, and Factory. Although some people may say the songs sound simple, they are great and refreshingly different from anything out today. Plus, it's only $7.99! // 8

Highly Evolved Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 22, 2003

Overall Impression: The Vines Highly Evolved first caught my attention with the single "Get Free". Not very original sounding, to say the least, but interesting. I had completely forgot about them until a few weeks later when I was out picking up the Hives "Veni Vidi Vicious". The Hives were specially priced at 10.99 (Canadian, of course) so upon the referral of the fellow working, I picked it up. It was a phenomanal album. Where the Hives are non stop balls to the wall rock, The Vines manage to show a bit more, dare I say it, maturity with their song writing. Incorporating instruments other than the standard fare guitar bass and drums. Sure it's just a piano, but hey, who else is using it in rock music? Elton John? He doesn't count. Best songs? Get Free, Outtathaway, Factory (a blatant, yet not rip-offish ode to the Beatles "Ob La Di"), and Sunshinin'. "Should I buy this cd?" You're asking yourself. Yes. Do it. Before your head explodes. // 8

Highly Evolved Reviewed by: Flowerpot, on march 29, 2004

Sound: The Vines were recommended to me from a friend. I did not know what to expect, and what I found was an under-rated rock band with a lot to offer. Their sound is a cross between The Beatles and more modern rock, which gives this album a very unique sound. Each song is quite different, ranging from the more rock sound of tracks such as Outtathaway to the exquisite simplicity of Mary-Jane and Homesick. The lead singer has a nice, honest voice, but his tone only comes through on slower tracks. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are not the best I have heard but they don't let the songs down by being awful. They are slighty strange at times but this aspect simply reinforces the uniquness of sound. // 6

Overall Impression: The best songs are probably the slower ones such as Country Yard, Mary-Jane and Homesick. I like the fact that this album is not afraid to be different from most rock bands and just resorting to a lot of loud guitar and drums. The slightly psychedelic element that runs throughout is a welcome change modern music, recalling bands from the sixties and seventies while maintaining a contempary tone. If I lost this CD I would be upset but probably wouldn't bother buying it again, as it is not my favourite type of music.Having said this, I would consider buying their new album which is said to be better. // 8

Highly Evolved Reviewed by: DorkusMalorkus, on january 23, 2006

Sound: I think this album sounds great. I like the tones of the guitar throughout the whole album. When I first got the album, it was something that was very different for me. Different was good. The songs themselves are great. They range from fun and catchy, to soft and beautiful, and harsh and grungy. The album had great variety. They are often described as the Beatles meets Nirvana. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics. Very dreamy and angry and everything. Coming from a man with aspergers who lives each lyric differently, I have to say these lyrics are fantastic. Sometimes (alot) they don't make sense, but who ever said that you had make sense to be good. // 9

Overall Impression: All of the songs were great in there own way. I love them. I want to sing a long all of the time, but I resist the urge. If this album were stolen/lost/scratched whatever I'd definitely go get another. // 10

Highly Evolved Reviewed by: Guitar_Maestro, on september 05, 2006

Sound: I have to say this album as a whole is not as good as the others, although it does have some good quality to it. It is a typical Vines album, because it has a pretty even mix of distorted, heavy songs and also lighter, acoustic songs. The best part about this album is the cool bass lines. // 7

Lyrics: I think the lyrics fit very well with the sound of the music. Craig's voice coincides beautifully with both the alternative rock songs and the garage rock songs. My brother tells me the Vines are horrible because of the singer, but I think he does a very good job of versitality between the different types of songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, Vision Valley is a pretty good album. The tracks that stand out to me are "Vision Valley", "Candy Daze", "Don't Listen To The Radio", "Take Me Back", and "Spaceship". On this album, the alternative type songs do more for me than the heavy ones. If you are planning on purchasing a Vines album, I would recommend Highly Evolved, but if you are a Vines fan, Vision Valley will be a good addition to your collection. // 8

Highly Evolved Reviewed by: vines_fanatic, on january 22, 2007

Sound: I read a lot of vines reviews and everyone said they sound like the beatles meets nirvana but I wasn't really convinced after only hearing get free. I do think they have the same kind of sound as both bands but they still keep their individuality. The guitar riffs are really simple but extremely catchy and with the exception of only a couple of songs I think the vines are worthy of comparison. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are really simple on songs like Get Free and Outtatheway and there's no kind of genius songwriting behind them but on songs like 1969 and Highly Evolved Craig's songwriting abilities really shine through. He's just a normal guy writing about normal things that everyone can relate to. // 7

Overall Impression: To be honest, I absoloutly love the vines and that's all because of this album. Even though it's so basic and simple at times, as soon as you hear it you just love it. It doesn't take a few listens, it's loveable from the start. Songs like Factory and Country Yard let the rest of the album down but then it hits back with Mary Jane and In the Jungle. It kicks off with the amazing Highly Evolved and ends even better with 1969. Some would argue that 2002 was the year of Libertines or Strokes but I personally thought it belonged to the vines. An outstanding debut album. // 9

More Vines reviews rating latest review
+ Melodia 7.9 08/07/2008