Vision Valley Review

vines: Vision Valley
Release Date: Apr 4, 2006
Label: Capitol
Genres: Punk-Pop, Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Garage Rock Revival
Vision Valley might be a little predictable, but at least the Vines sound like they're back in control of their lives and music again.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.4
 8.6
 8.1
Vision Valley Reviewed by: Ploosh_Meister, on april 12, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is a lot like Highly Evolved and Winning Days; very much a groovy rock sound with Craig's unique vocals allowing the vines to sound unlike anyone else. The difference with this album is the lack of ballad-type soft songs. Not that this is a bad thing, as this album has a very fun sound to it, though does have it's serious moments with songs such as going gone. // 8

Lyrics: The overall sound of the songs on 'Vision Valley' is possibly the best of the vines yet, and the lyrics also seem to be of top quality. Though I'm not one to analyze lyrics, or read through booklets learning all the words, the lyrics flow through the songs perfectly and Craig's voice is perfect in every song. There is, every now and then, a moment where Craig just wails the same noise over and over again, and this does get annoying, but it's rare and the rest of the song makes up for it. Most of the lyrics are what you'd expect from a rock band, but I found the lyrics in going gone to be quite touching. // 8

Overall Impression: I would say this is the vines at their best. I feel that all the Vines albums have their weak and strong points, and they're all mediocore. This is no different in a way, as in a couple of months this album will not stick out to me anymore and I'll be waiting for the next vines album. In my personal opinion best songs would be: Anysound, Nothing's Coming, Gross Out and Going Gone. Overall, the album is better than a lot of albums, but not the best. If you enjoy rock; stoner or funky, the vines are perfect, not many do it better as far as I know. If it were stolen or lost, I would most definently buy it again as I'm quite proud of my vines collection. // 8

Vision Valley Reviewed by: Grunge, on april 08, 2006

Sound: This is probably one of the best from the Vines. There are songs that are edgy and songs that are also mellow. It's really nice how it goes so well together, and the songs are really recorded well. As many probably know, The Vines went on a little break and lost their bassist. I had a feeling that they weren't going to come back out with an album, but fortunately they did. Some slower acoustic songs use instruments such as cellos, violins, and all kinds of different things. Its a nice spin on the songs. Also, the song Take Me Back really stuck out. Its like a country-rock thing. Well, it just sounds like it at first. I guess you'd have to listen to it to get an idea. It is a very good song, though. Personally, I think I would have picked different singles from this album, but then again I couldn't really chose. The singles out now are pretty good I guess. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, I think. Craig Nicholls is a good writer because of his unorthodox writing style. They're really good, and they grow on you the more you listen to the actual words, which go along with the music very well. I heard many people say that the singer does not know how to sing well, but I tend to disagree. No, he is not the world's best singer in any means, but he gets the job now. A very passionate voice and he can really scream when he needs to. // 10

Overall Impression: Since most new-ish bands out now tend to be emo, or some trendy metal, I think this is a good break for anyone looking for something far from the ordinary. The songs that stand out for me the most are probably Nothin's Comin, Vision Valley, Gross Out, Take Me Back, Fuk Yeh, Dope Train, and Space Ship. These are probably my favorite songs on the album, although the rest is pretty good too. There isn't a song that I don't listen to it. Thats what I love about this CD. Besides its energy and dynamic songs, I like the fact that I can listen straight through it without skipping any songs. What I hate about this album is its length. Its pretty short, the songs are all pretty short except the finale, Spaceship. But, it doesn't bother me that much, as I prefer all great songs instead of a long album with some bad songs. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably try and get a copy somewhere else of course. This CD is a very good one, and I recommend it to anyone who likes rock. // 9

Vision Valley Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 20, 2006

Sound: Pulling influences from a wide palette, The Vines often show traces of The Beatles, Nirvana, and the Cars, and, believe it or not, Pink Floyd in their new, remarkably short album, "Vision Valley." Between their last release, "Winning Days" and today, vocalist/guitarist Craig Nicholls was diagnosed with a mild form of autism, which led many fans to believe that the Vines had broken up, but with this album, they show few signs of slowing down. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, in the songs that you can actually hear them, are certainly nothing to rave about. On "Don't Listen To The Radio," Nicholls sings about a somewhat cliche topic, which bashes the radio and television, and all things that promote over-saturated radio junk. It is hardly fitting for the Vines, a fairly big radio band, to begin bashing one of the things that made them as famous as they are today. Other lyrics are acceptable, although nothing too special. // 7

Overall Impression: While it can't edge out their brilliant debut "Highly Eveolved," it certainly is more consistantly satisfying than "Winning Days," which showed signs of brilliance, but with no defining moment that sest it apart from anything else. That moment has to go to the 6 minute long (epic by Vines standards), surprisingly Pink Floyd-esque "Spaceship," which is a deep ballad that has all the twists and turns of a classic, psychadelic Floyd opus. The length, although very short, appeals to today's short attention span music listeners, while it disappoints listeners like me, who prefer an 8 minute song to a 2 minute song. Overall, "Vision Valley" is a great modern rock effort, although by no means a classic. // 8

Vision Valley Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 08, 2006

Sound: The Vines have come along way from their in-your-face sound in Highly Evolved to their mellow harmonies in Winning Days. After the incidents in 2004 where singer Nicholls was diagnosed with AS, and bassist, Matthews walking off stage, they're back. They're sound has definitely change heading towards a more mature direction. The album rips through with a kick ass concoction of loud guitar riffs, harmonic acoustic, trippy solos, soothing strings, and awesome vocals. // 9

Lyrics: He reflects on recent events he and his bands mates have encountered. With the opening line 'I am a Vine, all twisted and frayed', Nicholls takes us on a lyrical journey through his head. It's certainly something you don't want to miss. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Anysound - opening song comes out with the brilliant line, "I am a Vine, all twisted and frayed.' Just perfect to get you ready for the ready for what's to come. 02. Nothing's Comin' - great rock song with a lot of tension build up and a great fucking guitar solo. 03. Candy Daze - a sweet little number leaving you thirsty for more.. and again, another great guitar piece. 04. Vision Valley - one of my favorite tracks on the album. First time they experimented with strings, and it sounds great. A great little ballad that has a different effect of every listener. With The acoustic guitars, strings and the harmonic signing, the song truly pulls through. 05. Don't Listen To The Radio - great song if you haven't over heard it already. With an ironic twist, this was their first single they choose to put out onto the airwaves. Again, great guitar number. 06. Gross Out - another great song if you haven't over heard it. This song will assault you blasting out of the speakers at a 100 mph. being the shortest song on the album; it holds enough energy for the whole thing. There second single being played on radios in both the UK and Australia. 07. Take Me Back - I would absolutely love this song if they didn't put a country vibe to it. The lyrics are amazing, but I'm not a fan of that country sound. 08. Going Gone - an old b-side of theirs, the re-created with strings and acoustic harmonies. A brilliant song that I've loved the first time I've heard it, now reinvented, I love it even more. 09. Fuck Yeh - well, I don't really know what to say about this one, except that it brings out the '60s all over again. Good song. 10. Futuretarded - great song but another one that'd hard to explain. You'll just have to listen for yourself. 11. Dope Train - going back to their roots they pull out a Get Free/Outtathaway/Fuck The World sound with a psychedelic flare. 12. Atmos - a short but trippy song. Takes a second to figure out what Nicholls is trying to get at, but when you get it, you'll love it. 'I really ruley do.' 13. Spaceship - my personal favorite. Nicholls takes you on a 6 min calming ride and leaving you satisfied. Another great song with strings and a great guitar solo. With a 1969 twist, it's a great way to end the album. Overall, this is a great album and should not be passed up. It has something for everyone and will leave you pleased. The guys are back and standing strong. // 10

More Vines reviews rating latest review
+ Melodia 7.9 08/07/2008