Hungry Ghost Review

Violent Soho: Hungry Ghost
Released: Sep 6, 2013
Genre: Alternative Rock, Post-Grunge
Label: Ecstatic Peace
The band's fan base has grown at an extremely fast rate since this album's release and it is well deserved. This album is a big win for Australian music and alternative rock music in general and there is high hopes for this band's future.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Hungry Ghost Reviewed by: Harry Marsh, on may 26, 2014

Sound: When I got this album I was expecting the best, and Violent Soho did not disappoint. Violent Soho have been playing together for 10 or so years and have made a name for themselves with a great live show, great tunes and overall just being great blokes. Although not as angsty and heavy as their first release, this follow up is enough to impress any established Violent Soho fan, and any fan of alternative rock music.

The album's production is flawless and not over done to the point of the band not being able to perform the songs properly live. None of the instruments overpower anything else more than they should in the mix, which is great for someone like me who likes hearing a bass without struggle. People's opinions vary with drum sounds and although I wouldn't put it in my favorites, I still like the sound and it does not take away from the effect of the music. The guitars sound amazing on both a clean and distorted sound. Again, this sort of thing varies with different people, but I think the majority of people will agree with me.

Although certainly not the most talented vocalist, Luke Boerdam puts on a really great performance throughout the album and still greatly executes heavier sections like on their debut. "In the Aisle" and "Gold Coast" are great examples for heavier vocals. It goes full on Nirvana at the end of "Gold Coast." For vocals that are on the softer side, songs like "Saramona Said," "Fur Eyes" and "Hungry Ghost" are great songs that will help get an idea of the sound to expect from Boerdam on not just this album, but all other Violent Soho releases. I think he has a really great vocal style that not all singers can execute this successfully. // 9

Lyrics: This album is full of extremely catchy choruses with lyrics that fans are just dying to scream out to live. The biggest single off the album "Covered in Chrome" has become a huge fan favorite with a chorus that sets everyone off with a "HELL F--K YEAH!" As I mentioned, the angst is not as strong in this release but there is an attitude in Boerdam's vocals delivery that you can't help but think is totally awesome.

I won't go too deeply into the lyrics by copying and pasting a heap of sections and I'm not too great with this section anyway but some songs that I felt had lyrical highlights are:

- "Covered in Chrome"
- "In the Aisle"
- "OK Cathedral"
- "Hungry Ghost"

When it comes to the catchiest lyrics and melodies I'll add songs like:

- "Fur Eyes"
- "Lowbrow"

The outro to "Dope Calypso" will get any fan going: "All I say is all I know and all I know is what you made me." // 9

Overall Impression: I thoroughly enjoyed this album from beginning to end. The songs are well put together and don't stick to the same sound too much, which keeps the album fresh. Their sound on this album doesn't go too soft compared to their debut, and that keeps older fans happy. The band's fan base has grown at an extremely fast rate since this album's release and it is well deserved. This album is a big win for Australian music and alternative rock music in general and there is high hopes for this band's future.

At the moment my top three favorite songs from the album are:

- "Covered in Chrome"
- "Saramona Said"
- "In the Aisle"

I would highly recommend "Hungry Ghost" to any fan of alternative rock who is looking for something new. // 9

More Violent Soho reviews rating latest review