We Don't Belong Here Review

Violent Soho: We Don't Belong Here
Released: Jun 7, 2008
Genre: Rock
Label: Emergency Music
We Don't Belong Here is Violent Soho's first studio album, released on June 7, 2008 on the Magic Dirt imprint, Emergency Music.
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
We Don't Belong Here Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2008

Sound: Violent Soho are an Australian band from Brisbane, formed in 2002. Their sound is heavily based on the 90's grunge movement and 80's Alternative Rock.Personally, I find their sound as a blend of the Pixies and Smashing Pumpkins. Obviously most people compare them to Nirvana (The band most people think of when fuzzy powerchords and yelling are mentioned), yet I don't think the influence is as great as people assume. Musical nnovations? none to see here, sadly, just good fun rock music. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals are raw, passionate and constantly drift out of tune. However, to me this is what makes the band so appealing. His singing style seems to be largely based on Black Francis, with scarce non-yelled vocals thoughout the album. To be honest, I haven't delved into the lyrics enough to make much sense of them, although I highly doubt they are about much at all, rather relying on the general attitude of the songs to send out their message. Regardless, the vocals fit perfectly in most of the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: If you love grunge or any form of alternative rock music, I would reccomend this album quite highly. Granted it's not for everybody, but if loud fuzzy guitars and wild yelling is your thing, check out the band. Most impressive songs to me would have to be Muscle Junkie, Son of Sam and Jesus Stole My Girlfriend. If the album was somehow lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again, for the music and also to do my part helping this relatively unknown band out sales wise. Do yourself a favour and check them out. // 9

More Violent Soho reviews rating latest review