Apostles Of Inexpression Review

7.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Apostles Of Inexpression Reviewed by: Chopped_In_Half, on march 02, 2011

Sound: Vomit The Soul are a Brutal/Slam Death Metal band hailing from Italy. Slam metal for me is the most boring and generic form of Death Metal but Vomit The Soul have taken me by surprise. A friend of mine played me a few songs one day and I was hooked, I went out and bought this album at the first opportunity I got and I was surprised to find myself giving almost daily spins. Vomit The Soul are the first Slam band that I've really been able to enjoy, musically they are what you would expect but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case, they manage to take your typical Slam/Brutal Death techniques but use them in more interesting ways and while the riffs alone aren't overly technical the song arrangements make it sound technical. The production on this record is crisp and the mix is great, all the instruments are clearly audible, especially the bass which is great because that adds greatly to the heaviness of this album and I really enjoyed the prominent bass drops like on the track "Self Perception Veil" (around the 1 minute mark). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album aren't really all that important, because of the Cannibal Corpse, typical Slam Death style vocals, you can't really understand a word of them anyway. I did, however enjoy the vocals on this album, Max Santarelli has a strong performance on this album, sounding like he is literally vomiting up souls and they fit very well with the style of music played by the band. // 7

Overall Impression: Vomit The Soul are a little more than your standard Slam band, and while some parts of the album are a little generic, overall I enjoyed it. The more technical song structure and riffing than you would find in most Slam was what got me hooked in the first place, so if your a Death Metal fan but are sick of generic Slam I reccommed you give this band and album a listen and see what you think then. There aren't really any stand-out or really poor songs on the album, it maintains the same level of creativity through out the entire album but my favourites are the title track and "Self Perception Veil". So, if your looking for some ultra-heavy, aggressive and brutal Death Metal that offers a little more than most, Vomit The Soul would be a good choice. // 8

Comments