Beyond Cops. Beyond God Review

waking the cadaver: Beyond Cops. Beyond God
Released: Aug 10, 2010
Genre: Brutal Deathcore
Label: Candlelight Records
Released in 2010, "Beyond Cops. Beyond God" is the second release from Waking The Cadaver and needless to say it is a step up from their first release.
 2.3
 5.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Beyond Cops. Beyond God Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on august 12, 2013

Sound: Released in 2010, "Beyond Cops. Beyond God" is the second release from Waking The Cadaver and needless to say it is a step up from their first release "Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler," a step up from dreadful to painfully mediocre that is. The production quality is far better than their former release; however, the overall sound of the band has not changed a bit. Detuned guitars, erratic fast drumming, and haunting guttural vocals are all present just as before. The album basically sounds like Cannibal Corpse and what I imagine a train wreck to sound like fused together. One of the highpoints of the album is that the songs actually have a structure and a direction unlike the band's debut album. The band has slightly matured musically since their first release, the vocals do not sound all that different from a number of contemporary death metal bands (Through the Eyes of the Dead, Suicide Silence), however there are a few "cheesy pig squeals" that ruin it for me. If not for the grind core vocals, this could have been an okay release. The album is also has sound effects and samples, they do not really break any new ground with the sound effects, but they are interesting and add to the flavor of the song a little. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics are interesting to say the least; they are downright horrible in every sense of the word. The composition seriously lacking and written with little to no form, in other words, it's nothing but rambling sentences that are short and void. In addition, it is probably good that the vocals are impossible to understand; otherwise these guys would probably be investigated for conspiracy to commit murder and terroristic activities. Killing sprees, murder, and torture are common themes among the songs. Whoever wrote these lyrics needs a serious psychological evaluation and a cat scan; they are either a psychopath or really trying to write the most graphic songs of all time. Sure the vocals match the style of music, and the vocalist is able to make some "unique" noises, but overall the composition is just terrible. Here is a sample of what I am talking about, from the first track titled "Beyond Cops": "I defy God, Reloading my guns, In the name of Satan, Killing everything I see, All insight But for tonight, I'm beyond cops, And now all will know." Some say if given enough time monkeys with typewriters could write Shakespeare. If given a half hour and a quill pen, homicidal monkeys could write Waking the Cadaver lyrics. // 1

Overall Impression: It compares nicely to early Cannibal Corpse and their influence is obvious from the word go. Fans of Suicide Silence and Despised Icon might enjoy this album, but it's unlikely the casual fan of death metal with find any enjoyment in this album. The only praise I have for this band is that "Beyond Cops. Beyond God" sounds better than the bands first release. I really can't name one specific song that stands out above another; they are all basically the same song with subtle unimpressive variations. The one thing about the album I actually like is that the guitars don't sound all that bad, the composition isn't all that great, but the overall sound is cool. If the album were lost or stolen I would not miss it, I'd probably give it to you if you really wanted it. I think of the album like a really overly gorey, low budget horror film. The album is forgettable from beginning to end.

// 3