Real-Life Death Review

waking the cadaver: Real-Life Death
Released: Nov 5, 2013
Genre: Brutal Deathcore, Brutal Death Metal
Label: Amputated Vein Records
For the most part, this album is brutally bland and uninspired and is one of the worst things that this reviewer has ever had occasion to hear.
 3.2
 3.3
review (1) 37 comments vote for this album:
Real-Life Death Featured review by: UG Team, on november 07, 2013

Sound: Waking The Cadaver is a band from New Jersey that has been attempting to bash people's heads in since 2006. Their music certainly fits, if not stereotypically defines, the genre of brutal deathcore. This album is definitely brutal, and in more ways than one. The album is brutal and heavy (depending on your definition) but that cannot override the total lack of care and thought that has been put into this album, excluding the guitars. To begin my diatribe, the production quality of this album is horrendous. The vocals are all muddy, gurgling growls that vary little, demeaning the purpose of each successive rumble. While the vocalist no doubt should foot the fault for this the most, I still believe that the producer could have done a much better job at making the vocals a little more bearable. The guitars are mixed OK; the guitars are the only things that resemble "good" on this album. Even then, they aren't that creative; they are just the only thing that is listenable. At least they have a fairly good tone. Guitar tone still does not make up for the fact that each song sounds exactly like the one that precedes it. Aside from the fact that the snare drum was recorded horribly, the drumming in general is probably the worst I've ever heard and certainly the most boring in comparison to other death metal. The bass drum isn't even mixed loud enough to have the brutal impact that the album is trying to make. The only song that comes close to being good is "Life Lesson," which is still pretty bland, but it has a cool guitar riff at the beginning and the bass meshes pretty well with the drums here. Still, the tasteless breakdowns here and on all of the other songs make it tacky and the guitar solo is just a slight show off attempt at using a Floyd Rose. Even the fade out of this song, which also ends the album, is just an awful, seemingly stopgap technique to find a way to add variety to the album. I've listened to this album twice and then stopped a long time to think just to make sure that I wasn't jumping to any rash conclusions. Yet, I can easily say that this album is one of the worst I've ever come across. I still respect them because they are able to make a living making original, unadulterated music, but this is just awful. // 4

Lyrics: The vocals vary from barely intelligible death growls to horribly unintelligible gurgles. There aren't too many variations in pitch and I guess that these aren't the worst vocals I've ever heard, but they are still just plain awful. Lyrically, the growler derives much of his inspiration from Cannibal Corpse, and still fails to come up with creative ways to shout "bloody murder." // 3

Overall Impression: This album is so bad that it isn't even worth trying to scare you with how brutally bad it is. I could discourage readers from listening to this album, but that would actually encourage more people to listen to it because, "if the reviewer says it's bad, then it must be great." Honestly, it just isn't worth my time to warn you not to listen, and it isn't worth your time to listen to the album, just to say you went against the flow. // 3

- Parker Abt (c) 2013