To Plant A Seed Review

we came as romans: To Plant A Seed
Released: Nov 3, 2009
Genre: Christian Hardcore, Screamo
Label: Equal Vision Records
With their first full-length record, We Came As Romans have shown themselves capable of producing sleek-sounding set of hardcore tracks.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.4
 9.1
 7.7
To Plant A Seed Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2009

Sound: We Came As Romans' full-length debut record To Plant A Seed in many ways follows in the footsteps of past tourmates The Devil Wears Prada, but the Michigan natives opt to take things up a notch more in an epic direction. Incorporating several synth sections that are meant to mimic orchestral sections, the 10 tracks heard on To Plant A Seed are larger than life and several times reach that coveted wall of sound. For such a young band, We Came As Romans demonstrate that, although they still might not click with all listeners because of spastic switching between death vocals and clean vocals, this is one group of players that still shows plenty of promise for it's chosen Christian hardcore genre. Not surprisingly, To Plant A Seed was produced alongside Joey Sturgi, who has made a name for himself via his work with The Devil Wears Prada. The production value is sleek through and through, and the most exceptional aspect of the album is the seamlessly interwoven layers. There's plenty of going on, and more than a few times (particularly in the track Dreams) you'll be bombarded by harmonized guitar lines, growls, synth, and intriguing drum beats. For the most it works and the guitar team of Lou Cotton and Eric Choi stand out track after track. Highlights include the slightly gothic sounding I Will Not Reap Destruction, which for the most part follows relatively same musical format as the other 9 offerings on the record, but includes some haunting piano lines that create a moodier vibe. That particular track also features clean vocals within a big chorus, which also happens to be one of the most memorable melodies on the CD. Both Broken Statues and Intentions are satisfying for the arrangements rich in distortion-rich guitar, the breakdowns that seemingly come out of nowhere, and the presence of the band's epic side. Big, orchestral synth lines and effects-laden vocals a la Yes actually enhance the arrangement and make Broken Statues the best offering on the album. // 8

Lyrics: While there are some Christian hardcore and/or metalcore bands that don't always make their religious beliefs known within their lyrical content, We Came As Romans don't necessarily shy away from their personal stance. Given all the ambiguity in lyrical content in the music world, it's actually refreshing to have a band a little more overt in its message. The word God isn't inserted into every track, but you most certainly will hear messages about keeping the faith, living in love, and feeling compassion. // 9

Overall Impression: To Plant A Seed in many ways is overflowing with interesting musical sections, and it will just be a matter if you're the kind of listener who likes a wall of sound to be thrown at them in pretty much every track. We Came As Romans keeps a fairly decent balance between the growling and the clean vocalization, and at times you almost wish that they dedicated at least a few songs to one or the other. Granted, this would be steering them away from their chosen genre, but there are just some incredibly moving moments (whether aggressive/metal or clean/progressive) that do deserve to be explored further. Even so, To Plant A Seed is one debut that shows a great amount of promise. // 8

To Plant A Seed Reviewed by: Disappear, on november 11, 2009

Sound: This album is definately something everybody should check out. Their sound is so unique and superb. I'm a major fan of hardcore music and music that really breaks away from its genre. These guys are definately perfect for that category. they have a pop infused metal/hardcore sound with the guitar and keyboard combo. Also they have an almost metalcore feel vocally with amazing deep screams and relly strong clean vocals that can hit the high notes. Nothing is out of placed with these guys and it all flows together real well. Their music (if you don't know) is about spreading love and you can really feel it when you listen. the point of the album is to plant that seed and hopefully itll grow. // 10

Lyrics: The overall impression of the lyrics is just outstanding.especially if your a lyricist and really study lyrics. The message is very clear and this album is something to appreciate.I would strongly suggest reading the lyrics if your not a fan of the singing because they are so heartfelt and just brilliant with the metaphors used. The skills with their vocals (as mentioned before)is great.you can listen to this album over and over. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can be compared to the empire ep from twa (which is brilliant as well)and probably some others (I can't think of any at the moment). The most impressive songs (to me) are Broken Statues and Road That Don't End And Views That Never Cease. Largely because of the lyrics and breakdowns and what not. But thats just what sticks out to me the most. I love all the songs and have listened to them over and over. I love everything, just everything, about these guys and the album. I don't hate anything about it. I actually preordered two copies of this album so if one got stolen I would have another. But if I didn't I would definately buy another without a doubt. I am not just some fan boy and I don't worship these guys. This is a solid opinion to me and I listen to varying artists from the almost to breathe carolina and katy perry. This album is just this great and they are definately a band you need to know because they're gonna go far. So do pick up this album or just listen to one of their songs. You wont regret it. // 10

To Plant A Seed Reviewed by: Jeebz15, on november 16, 2010

Sound: The way the Guitar is used with much distortion really is fantastic. I love how they are so much yet just enough. I also like the sharper uses for some songs, such as the intro in "Broken Statues" and the chorus of "An Ever-growing Wonder". I really think there has to be some relation to a "I'm not the type of person but I'm gonna do some good on this earth and look cool doing it". I am a huge fan of the hardcore with an addition of orchestral music so I can say nothing bad about that, just the way it forms perfectly. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are unusual. Unlike many screamo or hardcore metal bands this one delivers a positive message about many different accounts. An "Ever-growing Wonder", "To Plant A Seed", and "We Are the Reasons" especially. The only thing I would say for them to work on for there new upcoming album (out spring/summer 2011) is that the lyrics have there up and downs with the screamo to positive message mix. On the other hand I am so impressed with how the clean vocals just flow back and forth with the screamo vocals in every song, again very little disappointment here. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the bands first studio album and it is fantastic, all I have to say about the possibilities is that I expect amazing things from a new album coming out. Again, spring/summer 2011. Favorite songs would have to be "Searching, Seeking, Reaching, Always", "An Ever-growing Wonder", and "I Will Not Reap Destruction". I would 10 times out of 10 recommend this album to anyone, most likely a hard rocker but still, it would never hurt to mention them. I recently had a meltdown on my 160GB Ipod and my friend let me borrow his until I find out what happened to mine and "To Plant A Seed" was the first album I put on my friend's Ipod. I love this band. // 9

More We Came As Romans reviews rating latest review