Regrets [EP] Review

6.4
 3.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Regrets [EP] Reviewed by: soundcheck777, on november 18, 2011

Sound: So I normally don't do underground bands, but this band I have to cover. We Own The Night (formely known as For The Words Unspoken), a small town band from Tyler County, West Virginia has blown my mind. They are a beautiful mixture of Asking Alexandria, BMTH, and We Came As Romans. In otherwords, they're amazing. The band currently consists of Daniel Howell, Abe Helman, Matthew Archer, Gauge Day and Zack Palmer. They are currently holding auditions for bass, rhythm, and synth. Howell's vocals just sound heavenly and hellish at the same time. Since the screaming overtakes the singing I'd say its more hellish. His screams are just raspy deep as they can go then as high as he wants them when need be. He has this more "demonic" than normal thing goin' when he screams. Then when he sings, I'd describe it with saying it sounds like Alex Gaskarth with kind of a scrathy/heavy layout. His voice over all is just great. Abe Helman, the lead guitarist, is at the point in his skill where he has nowhere to go but up. Seriously. He is at the Matt Heafy (Trivium) point with guitar. Matthew Archer is just a freakin' beast at drums. Enough said. So check out WOTN whenever you can. I mean it. They deserve a look see. // 9

Lyrics: Daniel Howell is the main lyricist for WOTN. Its ironic, his favorite band is Asking Alexandria, favorite singer Danny Worsnop. He writes songs in the same form that Worsnop does. He has that "bada-s", metal vocalist with a dark to light feeling, with a little bit of "man with nothing to lose" kind of thing going on. In other words, his lyrics will chill you to the bone. Just be warned, he writes to vent and show others he isn't the only one feeling "this way", and he WILL prove his point by the end of the song. That mainly consists of screams. The last time I talked to Howell, he mentioned that he wanted to add 3 acoustic songs to the album. So honestly ladies, his singing voice makes him deserve to get laid. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression? These guys are for real. I see nothing but positives from them. They are going to take metal-core, and set it in a course that will change metal-core forever. These guys are bringing grunge-punk-metalcore out of the dark, and into the light. No lie, these guys are great. Look them up any and every chance you get. And buy their songs and albums when it comes out sometime next year. Thanks for reading everybody and thank you WOTN for letting me be your first review. // 9

Comments