Shame Shame Shame [EP] Review

artist: We Still Have Paris date: 03/24/2008 category: compact discs
We Still Have Paris: Shame Shame Shame [EP]
Release Date: Dec 7, 2007
Genres: Pop-Punk
Their 6-track EP feels like the days are played in fast-forward and as a listener, you feel like you are moving in fast-forward all the way through it like a water-tube ride at an amusement park where you jump in at one end and it shoots you out on the other.
 3.4
 6.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Shame Shame Shame [EP] Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on march 24, 2008

Sound: Power pop punk introduces a new face into it's forum that of We Still Have Paris. The drum kicking, guitar chafing and vocal torching trio from New Jersey have released their latest record Shame Shame Shame. The 5-track EP produces rhythmic patterns that engorge into bawling infernos and deflate into babbling brooks to the band's delight. Produced, engineered, mixed, and mastered by Chris Badami at Portrait Studios in Lincoln Park, New Jersey, We Still Have Paris fit the usual garden format of pop punk excitement relatable to Mayday Parade, All Time Low and Hit The Lights. Maybe that is the band's goal, to just fit in with their friends from their age group. Every track has it's own chord designs and individual vocal melody, so no track is played or sung the same. Although lead singer Kevin Kumetz's vocal register stays within the same octave and his and Mike Deleasa's guitar playing gravitates to high powered rotations, and drummer Gary Dedoussis manages animalistic beatings whenever he is cued into the mix, the band personalizes each track differently. Working within their limitations, they make the power punk outbursts of This Is Not About You, But How We're Through to fluster differently from the outbursts of Being Your Ghost. The shifts in The Oxygen War start up and go at different turns, a method that Wakefield invested in on their last album, but it doesn't work that well as when the band keeps the keys on the same road like in Raise Your Glass (To The New You). The alternating vocals on Let's Start A Jazz Band In Tokyo produce a conversational image in the listener's head, so you can't help but be a part of the debate when vocal lines exchange: We can pack our bags/ We're not quite done yet. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics have everything to do with being emboldened in a relationship especially one that bangs you up and also lifts you up to heights that you have never experienced before like in The Oxygen War. Kumetz shakes out, Ever since you left my side, my body feels like it has died/ All thanks to you/ This is a war not worth fighting for/ You're not the same. These private wars are a common theme in We Still Have Paris' lyrics, though the lyrics do become romantic on Being Your Ghost when Kumetz's voice turns thoughtful, At the corner of your bed side, I've been watching you try to sleep this one off tonight/ I lay awake at night by myself and wonder what your thinking about/ I just want you to know that I still sleep on the left side of the bed. // 6

Overall Impression: The romantic tint of Being Your Ghost is my favorite track based on the melodic coils, sentimental-tinged vocals and thoughtful lyrics, but every track has it's own accoutrements. The slide picks in This Is Not About You, But How We're Through offer something different from the surges of sonic effects on The Oxygen War or the melodic mashing reeling Raise Your Glass (To The New You). It's an album that pop punk fans will gain pleasure from and relate to on every level. // 7

Comments