Reunion Tour Review

weakerthans: Reunion Tour
Release Date: Sep 25, 2007
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Indie Rock, Punk Revival
The curiously titled Reunion Tour ups the lyrical ante ever more with contagious tunes like "The Last Last One," "Hymn of the Medical Oddity," and "Relative Surplus Value."
 9.6
 9.3
 9.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Reunion Tour Reviewed by: TechnicolorBoy, on september 28, 2007

Sound: Reunion Tour showcases The Weakerthans' ability to mix several different genres and make it something beautiful. The band's sound doesn't really progress or change with this album, but the music is satisfying enough to make one (or me, atleast) not even mind it. The only song that I feel isn't up-to-par on this album is "Elegy for Gump Worsley." This song features no singing, as Samson simply reads the lyrics, as a banjo plays in the background. I can see what the band is trying to do here, but I feel that it doesn't really work as well as they'd hoped. Other than that, each song brings a new musical adventure, and the sound of Reunion Tour is very enjoyable. // 9

Lyrics: You get what you expect, and even moreso, with Reunion Tour. John K. Samson's unique insights and lyrical abilities continue to amaze me, and many others with every new album. Samson's voice, as always, brings a reassuring, mellow tone to the album, while matching the lyrics and music perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was just released, and right now, I can't really see any automatic classics, such as "Aside" or "The Reasons", however, the CD is extremely solid all the way through. Songs like "Civil Twilight", "Relative Surplus Value", "Tournament of Hearts", "Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure" (yes, it is a continuation from "Plea From a Cat Named Virtute), and "Utilities" all really stand out. What I really love about Reunion Tour is how The Weakerthans have maintained their consitently unique sound. If you have enjoyed any of The Weakerthans' previous work, I highly suggest picking up this album. // 9

More Weakerthans reviews rating latest review
+ Reconstruction Site 9.8 03/04/2004