Transylvania 90210: Songs Of Death, Dying, And The Dead Review

artist: wednesday 13 date: 10/20/2010 category: compact discs
wednesday 13: Transylvania 90210: Songs Of Death, Dying, And The Dead
Released: Apr 12, 2005
Genre: Horror Metal
Newcomers to the "horror metal" genre should enjoy "Transylvania 90210", but longtime admirers of Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie will have heard it all before.
 9.1
 9.1
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
Transylvania 90210: Songs Of Death, Dying, And The Dead Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on november 28, 2005

Sound: I love Murderdolls (in caase you don't know that was Wednesday 13's other band) and as soon as I heard the Wednesday 13 was going to put out an album I started couting down the days until it came out. When I finally got it I listened to it non-stop and I wasn't dissapointed at all it was different from Murderdolls but not in a bad way at all, it's more melodic and a little softer then Murderdolls, also Murderdolls were more goth punk imo, and Wednesday 13's album is more goth rock (hopefully you know the diffrence) I actually enjoy it more then the Murderdolls CD. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics I think were the best part, it felt as though they were more pointed towards personally experiences wednesday has had in his life. The lyrics are also alot more cacthy then murderdolls and easier to sing along with and learn. The music and vocals go beautifuly together you can really tell he wanted to make the best album he could and he worked hard on it. Wednesday 13 I think is really underraed and doesn't get the respect he diserves, he really is a great music writer/composer. // 10

Overall Impression: Imo it was better then murderdolls. It was like a mix of Murderdolls/Static-X/Dope. My favorite songs are God Is A Lie, Bad Things, and Haunt Me. I love the lyrics and I thought the guitaring was really good also, the only bad part was it seemed as thought the songs were a little short? But other then that it was a great album. If you liked Murderdolls at all even just a little I woudl suggest listening to this album. It won't get stolen because I won't let it. // 10

Transylvania 90210: Songs Of Death, Dying, And The Dead Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2005

Sound: With all the hardcore/emo bands clogging up alternative music television and radio these days, it's nice to get a break from it all with a fresh sound. Wednesday 13 offer the alternative, and it comes in the form of mifits style gothic punk rock with an Alice Cooper twist, oh and throw in a dozen or more old school hollywood horror movies along the way. By no means can you take this music seriously, but it's fantastic horror fun packed with punk rock hooks. I really don't know what you would call this though, the easiest thing to draw a comparison to is the misfits. Superb, fun sounding gothic punk rock. // 8

Lyrics: Wednesday 13 makes it fairly obvious that he is a '70s hollywood horror movie buff with these lyrics. The horror theme runs throughout the album and is seemingly fitting with the music. If you appreciate movies like "The Exorcist," "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Dawn Of The Dead," then you will appreciate these lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Obviously, Wednesday 13 won't appeal to all audiences. The rock scene at the moment is dominated with hardcore, and this doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. If you are a fan of the likes of Alice Cooper, Kiss and Rob Zombie then this will appeal to you. If you're favourite band is Taking Back Sunday and you enhoy crying in the corner whilst wallowing in self pity, then it won't. If you want some light hearted horrific fun I would suggest giving this a try. If you take music so seriously that everything has to be at breaking your heart and losing your girlfriend, please, stay well away. // 10

Transylvania 90210: Songs Of Death, Dying, And The Dead Reviewed by: bradwell46@hotm, on january 09, 2006

Sound: The band is a unique but ectremmely intreging sound. The album displays what I like to describe as glam metal. The music is both heavy but exremmely complicated, so it consists of a lot of good guitar playing, not just the use of heavy breakdowns, but these are included for budding metal fans. I when to see wednesday 13 without hearing any of there stuff with a few friends. After the most amazing gig of my life, I decided to buy a copy of this album. I really enjoyed it and must have listened to it over a hundred times to this day. The band consist of wednesday 13 himslef, his best mate pig on guitar, kid kid on bass, and the drumming king by the name of ghastly. All of these musicians know what it meens to rock hard, and this album proves this. This album also has a lot of variety, from quick and snappy riffs in "Buried By Christmas," to the heavy, almost deathly riifs in "Look What The Bats Dragged In." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremmely serious and violent, but at the same time they are hilarious. The lyrics talk about death, dying and the dead, as in the side heading of the album, but they do this in a funny way. An example of this "All I want for christams is a custom fit coffin with black velvet interiour and a bucket of chicken." See what I meen? The tone of wednesday 13s voice is a perfect match to the music, and from start to finish you can tell that a lot of thought has gone into putting these songs together. Wednesday 13 is my idol, and his singing skills are 100% pure hardcore, he is so good at what he does. // 10

Overall Impression: This is theere first album together, but compared to Wednesday 13's other ablums from previous bands (MurderDolls, Frankenatein Drag Queens From Planet 13 and the un popular 13 Dead Kids, or something like that), this is by far the best of any of there albums. The most impressive song is "The Ghost Of Vincent Price." The riff, and the lyrics touch me personnalyt everytime I listen to it. Also, "Bad Things" has to one of my other favourates from this album because of the insane and funny lyrics. I simply love Wednesday 13, but am not keen on his anti christ attitude, this isn't the music to express that, sorry, it had to be said. I would surely by this album again if I lost it, it can't be out of my collection. // 10

Transylvania 90210: Songs Of Death, Dying, And The Dead Reviewed by: BenjoJames, on october 20, 2010

Sound: Fresh from Murderdolls, the band that introduced many a alternative music fan to Wednesday 13, he unleashes his debut album in 2005. An altogether heavier and more serious affair than the lo-fi horror punk of Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13 and the well produced punk metal of Murderdolls, Wednesday drags his b-movie influenced heavy rock to knew heights, with a sound that incorporates everything from down-tuned metal guitars of opener 'Look What the Bats Dragged In' to the haunting electronica of closing track 'A Bullet Named Christ'. Aside from drums and a guest saxophone performance, all instruments are performed by Wednesday (real name Joseph Poole) on this recording, and the lyrics are peppered with 13's signature black humour. // 8

Lyrics: Wednesday is known for his signature black humour and as such on this album one can find many horror stlye puns, although the subject matter found on 'Transylvania..' is more serious than that of his previous bands. A pun such as that found on intro track 'Post Mortem Boredom' contrasts with the more serious subject matter of 'God is a Lie' and 'A Bullet Named Christ', although there is still the subject matter that showcases Mr 13.'s penchant for fun mischief, how macabre, namely on 'I Walked With a Zombie' and 'Bad Things'. Whilst technically not the best singer, Wednesdays's signature snarl can always carry a tune, something that is demonstrated ot full effect on 'Transylvania...'. // 8

Overall Impression: Darker and heavier than glammed up sophomore effort 'Fang Bang', but not to the extent of 2008's 'Skeletons', Wednesday blossoms as a songwriter, musician and producer on his debut album. Album highlights include 'Look What the Bats Dragged In', 'God Is a Lie' and single and live show staple 'I Walked With a Zombie'. The album is diverse, certainly different from any of Wednesday's previous bands, as it is heavier and more experimental, but is still distinctly Wednesday 13. An album certainly worth buying. // 8

More Wednesday 13 reviews rating latest review