GodWeenSatan: The Oneness Review

ween: GodWeenSatan: The Oneness
Released: 1990
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Twin/Tone Records
Their first album introduces several key themes for the group, including their eclecticism, gonzo sense of humor, and their demon god/mascot The Boognish.
 8.2
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
GodWeenSatan: The Oneness Reviewed by: ThomasFlint, on march 30, 2009

Sound: Ween is without doubt one of the most versatile bands in existence. Their musical talents range from Heavy Punk to straight Funk. Some parts of this album are very murky and/or nonrhythmic (Puffy Cloud, Black Jack); others are heavy and sound like they were written in 5 minutes or less (You F--ed Up, Fat Lenny, Old Queen Cole). Some are short-lived and zany (Tick, El Camino), while others are complex and masterful (Birthday Boy, Mushroom Festival In Hell, L.M.L.Y.P.). This album definitely puts out the vibe of musically talented, albeit stoned, drunk, quirky, geeky guys. It's probably not the best album to introduce someone to Ween with, but is pivotal in understanding the chronology of the Ween discography. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is not one of Ween's stronger albums. Some songs sound like they were written by 12 year old's (which some of these songs were from the two's young teen years) like Tick, Common Bitch, and I Gots A Weasel. Others sound more planned out and catchy (Birthday Boy, Up On The Hill, Never Squeal, Old Queen Cole). One does have to dig to find the gold in this album. Gener can sing a tweaking insomniac to sleep with his silken voice, or shout meaningless gibberish. // 6

Overall Impression: Ween did eventually grow into a complex alternative monster of talent, and this album shows the roots of it all. I doubt there are many who will count this as their favorite Ween album, but it is a recognizable prelude to The Pod, which takes you into the brownest level of Ween. The songs that impressed me most were Don't Laugh (I Love You), Never Squeal, Waynes Pet Youngin', Old Queen Cole, Birthday Boy, L.M.L.Y.P., and Mushroom Festival In Hell. That seems like a lot of favorites, but there are 20+ tracks depending on what version you buy. I love the feeling of two guys bullsh*tting around with a four track recorder that this album puts off, and how it shows off the off-beat sense of humor and musical perception of the two members, Deaner and Gener. I hate the bull-filler they put in the album, like Black Jack.If it were stolen. I would kill a man. // 8

More Ween reviews rating latest review
+ The Pod 9.4 03/14/2014