Make Believe Review

artist: weezer date: 02/18/2006 category: compact discs
weezer: Make Believe
Released: May 10, 2005
Genre: Rock
This is an Enhanced CD, which contains both regular audio tracks and multimedia computer files. Weezer's highly anticipated fifth album is produced by Rick Rubin and features the single "Beverly Hills."
 Lyrics: 6.8
 7.8
 7.3
 8.3
Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: There are many types of sounds on this album. The leading track and first single, Beverly Hills has a party type sound to it, with it's sing along chorus and freaky solo. The rest of the album is a totally different sound. It makes you sit and think. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are alot more mature than the past 2 albums, comparable to Pinkerton's lyrics. The lyrics are dark and fit the music perfectly. Rivers had worked on his vocal range and, gosh darn, you'll be scared when you hear some notes he's singing. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on this are Perfect Situation, This Is Such A Pity, Hold Me, The Damage In Your Heart, and Haunt You Everyday. I love the emotion on this album, they put alot of effort into this one. A must have for any music lover. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: sky007, on may 21, 2005

Sound: Weezer has been going strong 14 years and their 5th album, "Make Believe," only goes to prove that they show no signs of stopping. This album has a single that gives off an atmosphere that gets everyone energetic called "Beverly HIlls," a great song. "Perfect Situation" and "Pardon Me" add an element of keyboard, a new element with Weezer, while "Peace" mixes acoustic style with electric fills. "We Are All On Drugs" brings back the memorable style used on the song "Hash Pipe" from the Green Album. This album is full to the brim with great variety that is sure to please. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics show that Weezer has matured over time with its ever growing audience of 14 years, and even most of the newcomers are relating or mellowing out enjoying the tunes! The music and the lyrics complement each other with an almost heavenly perfection. The lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, is talented with an awe inspiring voice that is more singled out and stressed upon this album and makes it even more memorable. These lyrics are touching and easy to relate to for anyone who finds life just a bit off what the Hollywood perfect life is, but won't bring you down in a funk like other artists stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This album puts just about any artist to shame, ranging from Nelly to Stevie Ray to Green Day to Dave Matthews Band. Their passion, intensity, and musical genius while being completely original and following nobody's style or a formula seem to end up in this little round disc of perfection I call "Make Believe." // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: dtroberts, on may 11, 2005

Sound: Now that Weezer are on to their fifth album, they have shown what could go down as the clearest, most blatant decline in modern, mainstream rock history. After an amazing start with the Blue Album and a really good follow up in Pinkerton, the decent, very litenable Green Album came out, keeping prospects high. Good so far. Then Maladroit - middling, having more downs than ups. Now, get ready for Make Believe. The sound of the album is decent, but without the slightest hint of originality or even effort. The songs are very, very bland. It borrows from previous Weezer albums, but never well, coming off like a second-rate b-sides album. The most regurgitated previous effort would have to be The Green Album, but now minus edge, or even humor. // 4

Lyrics: Woos and Hoos and Woops abound, amid the "Hold Me" "And I Love You". Lyrics are repeated incessantly, even for this kind of fluff-rock. Rivers is repressed and ignored and wants this made clear at all times. Now that he's rich and successful, this is clearly still going on. Either that or he still hasn't thought of anything new to say. Maybe some fresh ideas would have helped. // 2

Overall Impression: The songs don't work. The lyrics are almost as bad as they could possibly be (try Nickelback's "I like your pants around your feet", "I like the freckles on your back" for as bad as they could possibly be). You're not missing anything later, as these songs never really develop so much as crap out. Honestly, they do better as clips. This is a really bad album. // 4

Make Believe Reviewed by: timmysea, on may 20, 2005

Sound: Very solid CD by Weezer, it's definitely an improvement over Green and Maladroit. It's got a different sound on it than any other releases. A lot more slow songs on it. I think they did a good job experimenting a little, they've never done anything like "Freak Me Out" before and that song has grown on me. // 10

Lyrics: I was not impressed by the lyrics on Make Believe. Rivers' has shown that he can write some pretty solid lyrics, like on Pinkerton and The Blue Album. The lyrics are extremely simple, and don't have any of the thought that was on previous releases. But he's singing like he gives a crap now so that's good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I think I would rate this behind Pinkerton and Blue. My favorite songs are "Perfect Situation," "Peace," and "Haunt You Everyday." "Haunt You Everyday" is the perfect closer for the album, and it's just a great song. I can overlook "Beverly Hills" because most of the other songs are pretty solid. Definitely satisfied with this release. // 8

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: Weezer absolutly blew me away with their first realease, The Blue Album. There different style and strange sound instantly got me hooked. From the long instrumental type song on "Only In Dreams" to the fast, upbeat, goodtime song of "Buddy Holly". This new album only brings the band further into greatness. With wah wah solo's on "Beverly Hills" and the awesome opening to "Perfect Situation" this CD is a must have in almost everyway. The only thing I didn't like about this CD was that it ended in 45 minutes. Wish there was more is all I can say. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really are different. I can relate to tons of things they say, from "Freak Me Out" [Which is about a spider] to "This Is Such A Pity" where hate is overthrowing a relationship. River's distictive voice is always awesome. The best song to listen to his voice is when he tabs into his "Buddy Holly" voice on "Pardon Me." // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best, if not the best of all the Weezer albums. It is one of my favorite CD's right now. I listen to it over and over constantly. If this was stolen, I would definitly buy another. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: megamanxzero35, on june 07, 2005

Sound: The whole CD sounds different in a whole. Which I love, cause when a band makes a CD and it does good, then they release another CD and it is the same exact chords and distortion and drum and bass beats, it's just not cool. Only a few bands have ever been able to pull that off, Van Halen and Green Day come to mind. This CD really shows the talent of the whole band as a whole. // 10

Lyrics: Just as like Pinkerton, these lyrics are very meaningful and show a side of Rivers we have come to love. And Rivers' voice is as catchy as always. And the lyrics always match with the music very well. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are a Weezer fan, a must have. You will love it from start to end. As long as you keep an open mind and don't like it cause it's not The Blue Album or Pinkerton. If your a semi-Weezer fan, pick it up. Most songs on here you will like. If you don't know who Weezer is or your asking yourself, "what's a Weezer?" then buy the album and find out. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: deportivo, on june 08, 2005

Sound: Weezer had a great change in their style for this album, which is off-putting at first, but to any fan of the band, the music grows on you. The catchy tunes of songs like "My Best Friend," the retro styling of "This Is Such A Pity," and the general pop-ish quality (in comparison to the previous albums) just go to show the musical talent of the band. I didn't like the album at first, but it will definitely grow on you. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are as random and weird as Rivers always makes them. A lot of emotion is in the songs like "Perfect Situation," which make this CD great to sing along with. // 8

Overall Impression: Though I personally am a big fan of weezer, this album as a whole does not compare to the emotion of pinkerton or the musicality of Blue or Maladroit. There are a few songs on here that stick out a lot that can easily get stuck in your head. I would recommend any one to buy it. // 8

Make Believe Reviewed by: dougiecrystals, on april 26, 2005

Sound: Weezer's sound is different on Make Believe than from their previous albums. While they still hold true to their catchy riffs, they've added bits such as piano and synths, which really reinvent Weezer's typical sound. The solos of the album are not just the chorus vocal lines on guitar to the relief of many suffering from those found on the Green Album. Many can describe the album's sound as a mellowed out mix of Maladroit and Pinkerton. But even with all this "change," Weezer always seems to stick with that indescribable sound that is unique from any other band. Best in the words of Brian Bell (Weezer's rhythm guitarist) about the album, "We didn't ever set out and say, 'Let's do a mixture of Pinkerton and the Blue Album with some Maladroit guitar solos. But I think it sounds like that, because that's what we are." // 10

Lyrics: Of course, Rivers Cuomo wrote the lyrics and stuck with his usual style of writing. The Use Of Simplicity. No need for dark obscure vocabulary or murderous metaphors, as some usual emo bands of today might use to express their saddened, emotional feelings. Rivers expresses fluidly what he feels and it's easy to relate to what he is saying. This time though, it's not "generic" as some describe the lyrics of the last two albums, especially the Green Album. Probably, the lyrics of this album best can best be compared to that of the those on Pinkerton. River's great songwriting skills mend the lyrics with the music flawlessly. River's recognizable voice comes out great in this album. He seems to let a bit more loose on this album vocal wise than that of previous albums. His vocals are not as "young" as heard in Blue and Pinkerton, but being Rivers, he comes with his usual, great, (now somewhat matured) voice. Also, the back ups, (Bell & Co) fit the fill-ins perfectly in the album. // 10

Overall Impression: It's too early to tell on how this album compares to that of Blue and Pinkerton. But right off the bat, this album should be a relief to those fans who have been disappointed with the Green Album and Maladroit. Though I do, in fact, enjoy the Green Album and Maladroit, I can say that Make Believe easily surpasses the band's two previous albums. Only time will tell how Make Believe will rank along side to the Blue and Pinkerton albums. Some songs that stand out off this album would be "This Is Such A Pity," "Perfect Situation," (the great re-done demo of) "Hold Me" and "Haunt You Everyday". Most of the album seems to "sound the same", yet even so, each song can stand on its own. One thing to point out is that the album does not sound at all like their single out right now, "Beverly Hills." Another song that doesn't seem to fit the album is "We Are All On Drugs," which is rumored to be the next single of the album. Coincidence? I think not. Either way, the songs are okay as is, though probably the weakest songs out of the 12 tracks. Over-all, the album is a well rounded album. It brings back the Weezer many fans have wanted for a long time, while bringing in something new at the same time. If you're a fan of any of Weezer's music (whether it be any of their studio albums or hundreds of demos), this album is a must have. Really, this album is for anyone and everyone. Well, maybe not for you metalheads, but if you can enjoy some mellow contemporary rock music, at least listen to this album. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2005

Sound: This album seems to be very different to me than their previous 4 releases. It has a lot more slow songs on it. Although the lyrics seem like they were written by a child; it's just good to hear some emotion in Rivers' voice again. I have heard some reviewers say that this was an uplifting CD but I don't hear that at all. The feelings I get listening to it is that Rivers' was feeling very lonely and sad while writing and recording this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are pretty bad, except for a few songs. "Perfect Situation," "Peace," and "The Other Way," are pretty good but still not up to par with the incredible lyrics on Pinkerton, and to a lesser extent on Blue. Rivers' singing is incredible on Make Believe, he hits some extremely high notes. And once again you can hear the emotion in his voice. Overall I'd say it's definitely an improvement over Maladroit. // 8

Overall Impression: Blue and Pinkerton were incredible, Green and Maladroit were sub-par, and I guess Make Believe is somewhere in between. It's not a Weezer classic, but it's definitely not terrible either. I'd say that it's just a solid release. Hopefully their next release, if there is one, can improve on this even more. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2005

Sound: The songs are bland at best. Some of them are terrible. Yes, they do rock out in some points, but it doesn't sound any different to any of their previous albums. This is such a pity is probably the only standout track for them doing something a bit different i.e. keyboards. But contrary to what some of these other reviewers think, they have used keyboards before, in Buddy Holly. Most of these people have no idea what they are talking about. // 3

Lyrics: This album is far too whingy. It's like being locked in a room with English people and taking away their tea. The band needs to lighten up. Rivers, get laid. // 2

Overall Impression: I can't tell the difference between most of the songs. If you buy Make Believe after reading this review, you are stupid. Don't bother, even Maladroit was better than this. At least it had some really hard out rock moments. Have you ever bought an album only to realise that you just didn't care? It's probably called Make Beilieve. // 2

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2005

Sound: Being a weezer fan since '94, I'm saddened a lot by this album. With its first single "Beverly Hills" I could tell the album wasn't lookin too great. My friend somehow got hold of the CD, and burned me a copy. Knowing Beverly Hills was pure crap, I flipped to a track that sounded more interesting, "The Damage In Your Heart." Me and my friend Adam smiled for a brief second 'till I noticed: "wow, this is an attempt at a deep song." Rivers missed by a longshot. With "We Are All On Drugs" (an obvious attempt at an eye opening song) I flipped to my final song of the night, hoping to hear something. Anything to make me remember why I love Weezer so much. I flipped to Hold Me, and was shocked by its lack of effort. I've been a Weezer fan for 2/3 of my life (no jokes, I'm 15) and this just makes me frown. It may be good to you, but compare it to Blue, or Pinkerton and you'll soon see it the way I see. // 6

Lyrics: Rivers hits more notes in this album, but the lyrics are half assed and sound relativly rap-sounding with lines about wanting to be famous (Beverly Hills) & lines talking about people rolling up in Mercedes Benz's (We Are All On Drugs) I am very displeased. Maybe they half assed it because Rivers had to go to school. Yet again. // 8

Overall Impression: I hate this album. // 2

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2005

Sound: Weezer is back with a new defined sound, it seems that they mustve had some magic becuase every instrument comes out incredibly clear. With incredibly catchy songs on this whole CD, it's no reason why this album will not do nothing but well. // 10

Lyrics: Rivers might not be the most lryically amazing guy, but some of the melodies that come out of these songs are incredible. He's right on key with every song with some high notes and the lyrics in "We're On All Drugs" are funny and dark. // 10

Overall Impression: Weezer is back, and they are taking prisoners. From catchy party song to dark Pinkerton-like song, they take the Green Album and Maladroit to school. The "Black" album is on the rise. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is totally different from the last album, Maladroit. If I had to compare it to previous Weezer albums, I'd say it falls somewhere between sounding like a cross between Pinkerton and The Green Album. Very clean sounding but there's still some feedback and other guitar tweakings that peek through. Stylistically, Weezer break from formula more than ever on this record. They do the 80's ("This Is Such A Pity"), piano driven rockers ("Perfect Situation"/"Haunt You Everyday") and the just plain experimental ("Freak Me Out"). However, underneath whatever styles and effects they lay on, it's still Weezer at it's core. The keyboard and synth flourishes are just icing on the cake and are what I'd been hoping Weezer could do at some point, deepen their sound. This is the closest Weezer has been to sounding like Weezer in a very long time and that is very refreshing. Once you get past the lead single "Beverly Hills" and into "Perfect Situation," you'll realize what was missing on Green and Maladroit. This album could have been a few songs shorter (at the very least, I would have cut "My Best Friend") but overall this is Weezer's best effort in a long time. It actually feels and like a Weezer album and, more importantly, makes me feel like it's a Weezer album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Make Believe run the gamut from ultra-personal and introspective ("Pardon Me"/"Haunt You Everyday") to just plain cornballish ("Beverly Hills"/"My Best Friend") and all points inbetween. I'd say the lyrics, for the most part, are better than they were on Green and Maladroit. Rivers actually opens up a little and shows us what's going on in his brain and that's a welcome change. They tend to be cliche, and at some points it still sounds like Rivers is writing using a rhyming dictionary, but there are definitely moments where he is able to step out of that box and write some lyrics that rival Weezer's best. "The Damage in Your Heart," "Pefect Situation" and the aforementioned "Haunt You Everyday" all have great lyrics and are all devastatingly sad in their own way. But, on the whole the lyrics could have been better. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this record. It's almost like Weezer cares again. Like they realized what they had lost during their extended post-Pinkerton hiatus. For the most part, they try to bring it back. This is a return to form and a huge step in the right direction. From here, I think things can only get better and better with this as the building block upon which to rebuild the Weezer empire. The past four years have been mostly disappointing and frustrating for Weezer fans but this album gives me great hope. I hope you'll agree. Standout tracks for me include "Perfect Situation"/"This Is Such A Pity"/"Hold Me"/"The Damage In Your Heart"/"Pardon Me"/"Freak Me Out" and "Haunt You Everyday." My ultimate test of a CD is how it makes me feel. Green and Maladroit did not make me feel anything. But, at certain points of Make Believe, I get the same feeling I do when listening to Pinkerton. And that can only be a good thing. // 8

Make Believe Reviewed by: winningdays, on may 02, 2005

Sound: My first thought when I was hearing this sound was that Rivers had definitely been trying to bring together a sound that all of his fans could agree on. On the last two albums some fans (myself not included) were deeply dissapointed because they were not the autobiographical lyrics that die hard weezer fans saw in Pinkerton. But now that it has been almost 10 years since the release of Pinkerton Rivers has attempted to move on from his days at Harvard. This album has adapted a sound that is very hard to describe. Bands that come to mind when I hear this album are The Police, The Cars, David Bowie (during his '80s dance phase) and even Led Zeppelin on the excellent Rock Song "My Best Friend." It's very keyboard driven with very heavy hitting guitars, fans of The Blue ALbum and Pinkerton eat your heart out. // 10

Lyrics: There seems to be much more to the vocals then was previously seen in The Green Album and Maladroit. Rivers really can sing, and he shows it by hitting some incredibly high notes in "Perfect Situation." The lyrics are darker, the emotions there, and all the songs are coming straight from the heart. Rivers is truly a genius. // 10

Overall Impression: I highly reccomend that you listen to this album with an open mind because it doesn't have the exact sound of Pinkerton but it sure does have something special. So strap those headphones and allow Weezer to take you to places that you didn't were possible, Make Believe. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: ChordMonger, on may 10, 2005

Sound: What's happened guys? Weezer has been in a constant downward spiral since the Blue Album, but not like this. I have no idea what's happened, but between Rivers thinking hes some kind of poet, an anti-drug song, and an edging on emo overtone I'm sorry I bout this. // 6

Lyrics: Holy s--t! These may even rival the likes of Pinkerton for the terrible lyrics award. // 4

Overall Impression: Like I said, this is a horrible album. Why anyone would buy this is beyond me. Rivers tries to be 'deep' and it works, if you like to hear bad lyricists whine. I'm really sorry I bought this and if anyone wants to take this album from me, just PM me with your address. If someone took I lost this album I would have a fiesta. // 4

Make Believe Reviewed by: Slashfan#1, on may 11, 2005

Sound: I think there are more effects on this album than that of any other, it is more pop than rock. Rivers is also trying to sing in a different voice or something on this it is all hight pitched stuff. I don't know what guitars were used in making this album but it has like zero crunch and what solo's there are they dont stand out very well. // 6

Lyrics: I think that this is by far Weezer's worst lyrical album it sounds like they just slapped these lyrics together in a week or two with not as much thought as the other albums. There is only 1 happy or positive were having a good time song on this album " Beverly Hills" and that was not even that great. What I am saying is every song is about lost love there is no "My Name Is Jonas," "Surfwax America," "Island In The Sun" or even a "Dope Nose." It is just heartbreak hotel the whole time. After listening the other 5 Weezer albums (including 2nd Blue Album) almost everyday for the past 2 years this is by far there Weezer's worst lyrics of all time. // 4

Overall Impression: For the last 3 years I have listend to Weezer almost everyday, and up till this point and loved almost every song they have released so I actualy ran to the store today to buy this album but when I put it in and there was no song that grew on me right away my heart was broken I have been waiting for this for a year and this is what I got. The only album it is close to is Pinkerton and even that blows this one away. Maybe it will take time to like this album mabey if I keep listening it will ware on me but my first impression is a 3 and they only get that for being weezer, sorry guys. // 6

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Sound: The sound isn't terrible but it's not terribly interesting either. All but the third track could be from earlier Weezer albums, except they would probably have been cut from the list. // 6

Lyrics: Weezer lyrics have always been simple, but that's what we loved about them. Some have even been meaningless (Sweater Song, Jonas) but when the music is that good, who cares? But these are reminiscent of bands like Incubus or Papa Roach. The singer thinks they're saying something but they're not. It's nonsense sung in the least articulate, most non-artistic way possible. // 4

Overall Impression: I'm a die-hard Weezer fan, but this is thier worst album ever. The lyrics are meaningless and uninspired. The music is hacked from earlier albums, and there is no emotion. The Green Album was somewhat emotionless but the melodies were so good. Pinkerton was musically sloppy but the emotion was so powerful. Maladroit was at least a new sound. This was just a poor effort from both Weezer and Rick Ruben. I give Make Believe a 3 because it's still better than anything ever released by bands like Nickleback or Lincoln Park, but for weezer, it was a let down. I'm glad I got it on discount. // 6

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Sound: Content notwithstanding, this album sounds good enough. The instrumentation has taken a turn in a different direction for the Weezer fellas. "This Is Such A Pity" is very much an homage to new wave rock, it sounds like an uptempo Richard Marx tune. I'm all for that. I enjoy that song probably more than any on the album because you can seperate it from the others. Weezer just doesn't do any trailblazing with this album. It's too boring. It doesn't make you care or feel anything as the Blue Album and Pinkerton did. Very ordinary. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics, at times, seem silly. Rivers has traded symbolism and imagery for a very literal approach, and in most cases it is very distracting. Saying "Hold Me" over and over and over is a great way to drill those words into a person's head, but not a great way to make a person feel something. As with the rest of the album, the lyrics are very mediocre. "We Are All On Drugs" is pretty lame. That is honestly the best way to put it. How many woah-woahs does it take to get into a world record book? Just give the title to Rivers and we can be done with it. // 4

Overall Impression: There is something ingrained in the music that immediately gives you the feeling of, "uh-oh, am I going to like this?" That's exactly what went through my head literally five seconds into the album. I've given the album its due listen. It just doesn't feel right. "Beverly Hills" is without a doubt the worst Weezer song I have heard. The whole album just seems very contrived and calculated. In ways, more so than the Green Album. At least then, as listeners, we knew what to expect from each song, it is a nice listening experience. Make Believe takes you one way, builds you up, then drops you by the end of each song. For an album as highly anticipated as this one, it simply does not deliver. This album is a generic C student, mediocre and average in every way. And it really hurts to say this. I love Weezer, but this one just doesn't work. I've enjoyed every other album a lot. I thought Maladroit was a fun, interesting album. The Green Album worked for me too. I'm very sorry to say that Make Believe doesn't. // 4

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 13, 2005

Sound: Sound isn't that bad but it is nowhere near as breathtaking as past releases from Weezer. If I can think of a few songs that stand out on this album, it would be "Beverly Hills" (which I'll admit wasn't a very impressive single, but it sort of grew on me), "Perfect Situation" (by far the best track on the album, however it doesn't hold a candle to anything done on Maladroit - a very underrated album, I might add, or even the Green Album for that matter - at least that album eventually grew on you) and "We Are All On Drugs" (catchy, but again, not much compared to previous works). The rest of the songs don't stand out at all. Most of the songs generally have good quality (at least compared to most crap that's played on the radio), but none of them jump out at you like all the songs on the Blue Album or Pinkerton. It just felt like an album full of fillers. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were seriously lacking in this album, to be frank. It also kills me to say this considering I've been a huge Weezer fan for quite some time. But I don't think any of us can really 'pardon' Rivers for doing 'Pardon Me.' Rivers has always apparently been a tortured and troubled individual, but with past releases, he expressed that with a type of self-glorification and dignity. This song just kind of sounds like he's groveling, crying and begging for mercy, and I've never known Weezer to do that kind of thing. The lyrics seriously sound like they were rushed on this album. I'm also very surprised to find that Rick Rubin had a hand in this. I thought most artists used to count on him for bringing the best out of them. Then again, Rubin himself did say that Weezer was probably 'the most difficult band he ever worked with.' // 4

Overall Impression: Rivers seriously needs to get his ass out of Harvard and into the studio because this is by far the most lackluster sounding album that Weezer has put out. It also disturbs me to know that Rivers literally has a library of hundreds of songs that he wrote, and out of all those songs he settled with these selections. I think a warning of what was to come from this album was when it was expressed in a Rolling Stone interview that Rivers was thinking about titling the album 'Either Way It's Fine' When I read that, I said, "wait a minute! back up! Don't tell me that the mastermind of one of the best rock bands out there right now is compromising with his work!" Well, let's face it. Every great band at one point is going to hit an album where it's just not gonna click (cases in point: Smashing Pumpkins-Adore, KoRn-Take A Look In The Mirror, Red Hot Chili Peppers-One Hot Minute). It had to happen to these guys sooner or later. All in all, I would have to say that even though it has a few catchy tunes, this album was a pretty big disappointment especially since I've been waiting for this release for a couple years like many other Weezer fans. Let's just hope they pick it up the next album. If there will be one. // 4

Make Believe Reviewed by: Kick Me, on may 13, 2005

Sound: The first song off this album I heard was Beverly Hills off the radio. I thought it was pretty simple sounding but at the same time kinda catchy. A few monthes later I bought the album and like any other album I buy I listened to it all the way through. After Beverly Hills the sound of the album changed drasticly. It was more dark I guess you could say. I could also tell that the guitar for the rest of the album was going to be pretty mediocre, there weren't even any semi-complex riffs, just power chords. I did like the song Peace, but it was really the only one I knew I liked from the start. A lot of the other songs I didn't find immidiatly catchy. They did add in some keyboard which I'm not really for or against. I think that the time it took them to release this album should have allowed them to be more creative. // 6

Lyrics: I've been a Weezer fan since the first album but these lyrics are by far the worst off any previous Weezer album. They wern't inspired at all, and they were pretty repetative too. When I look back on songs from previous albums the inspiration in the lyrics doesn't even compare to songs like In The Garage, (one of my favorites), or El Scorcho for example. // 2

Overall Impression: I don't know, maybe this album will grow on me as I listen to it more and more but right off the bat this album doesn't have anything you can categorize as really special. Like I said the song Peace is really the only song I liked immediatly. I'd say if they release another album take more time on it, add some real emotion, and try to capture some of the happy-go-lucky kind of music they had in the Blue Album. I've been a fan since Blue, but this album just didnt do it for me. Sorry Weezer I love you guys I'm a big fan but this album was a let down for me. // 6

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2005

Sound: Rick Rubin got the best work out of Rivers I've heard in a while. His vocals sound great, the distorted guitars are balanced perfectly with their new usage of keyboards. Nothing innovative, but 12 typical Weez pop gems. Rivers is still writing with power chords and somehow he keeps coming up with solid hooks. // 8

Lyrics: He seemed to have gone from a clever, witty, and metaphorical style to a very literal style of writing. Some songs I will admit are just bad, in "My Best Friend" the lyrics are, "You're my best friend, and I love you." In "Hold Me" the lyrics are, "I am cold, hold me" (times 10). Some offer more insight into his insane mind then the last two albums (Pardon Me, Haunt You), and the album hits a high with Perfect Situation. All the songs are about Rivers' minimal luck with women, which we have gotten used to over the years. However, he has laid it on thick in this album, and there's no Slob, My Name Is Jonas, or Good Life to break up the repitition. // 4

Overall Impression: The best songs is the 80'ish "This Is Such A Pity," Green Album but better "Perfect Situation," and raw emotion of "Haunt You Everyday." We Are All On Drugs is amazingly rocking, esp. Live, but I'm indifferent to Rivers' singing/rapping talents. The weakest songs that just lack musical range and lyrical ability are My Best Friend, The Other Way, Freak Me Out, and their first single, Beverly Hills. I have grown into this album and I am starting to enjoy the sound. It seems Rivers has finally realized he's almost 35 and not going to write a song like buddy holly ever again (i.e. keep fishin). I won't even compare it to Blue or Pinkerton like everyone does, I will just take it for what it is, which is good Weezer music and much better than most of the pop punk or Nickelback type crap rock out there. The true test is in a few months, if the album will be on the shelves or still in my CD player. // 8

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2005

Sound: Musically, this album is 'run o' the mill' and standard fare rock. Intentional? Probably, knowing River's love of literal sarcasm. Sure, they are good guitar players and musicians as a whole, but that's what makes this album so frustrating to me. I know they are capable of better. I don't think it quite hits that 'we meant it to sound like this' level either, or it might be understandable. Quite honestly, it sounds a bit complacent and lazy. With a gross amount of filler and cliche' riffs, it's hard not to hold this one up against the more itelligently flavored Pinkerton. Yes, I know they are not the same band they were in 1994 or 1996 for that matter. But that's all the more reason to expect something greater. It's a matter of potential. We've heard it, we've seen it. We as fans want to be blown away, not just pacified. As a musician myself, I do feel a certain amount of responsibilty in that arena. To say the sound/instrumentation is bad would be a lie. It's not bad, but it's definately average. I don't think they could do bad, they're too talented for that. But it does sound like they have produced a record for the sake of producing a record, something not right about that. // 6

Lyrics: Oh this one is just sad. Lyrics are terrible. Please, they have shown us some amazing lyrics. We all know this. These lyrics are literal and simple. It sounds like a 12 year old with a crush on his babysitter wrote the lyrics for them. I don't think much more needs to be said here. Maybe these lyrics would fly if it were a Bad English album or Air Supply, but this is Weezer, we expect some more intelligence, it's that simple. // 2

Overall Impression: I don't buy Weezer albums to hear how they've improved as musicians. I want to hear witty, humurous, intelligent rock. That's what Weezer is to me. This album is far from any of those things. Overall it's insulting. // 2

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Sound: God, how can you not like there new album, though they changed there entire sound all together from oddly upbeat and funny lyrics, to more of a retro, calming, slow jam feel. Though with the new change I say its all good every band needs to change there style up a bit from time to time, and very few can pull it off, though I say that "Hold Me" and "Haunt You Every Day" are the must hear songs. // 10

Lyrics: They really use clever word manipulation to their full advantage, then again when you've went to one of the most prestigious schools in America its really quiet obvious that you'll come up with the weirdest shit that sounds beautiful to the ears. They still have odd lyrics but some how it really works well, I mean "Freak Me Out" can you really say that to someone you know but in a loving way like Weezer did? // 10

Overall Impression: Hate? What's there to hate about this album. Well if you don't like retro kinda music then the Weezer's new album might disappoint you, though if you are really open minded then hey you'll laugh your ass off, and cry a river of joy. And if anyone tries to take this album from me, then I will be takin someone's cookies (if you know what I mean) but on a serious note, buy the album its really good. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: weezergeek182, on june 29, 2005

Sound: Some fans may notice Rivers retreating to emotional lyrics but wonder if he can ever write like he did durring the scrapped "Songs From The Black Hole," well in my opinion "Haun You Every Day" could have easily found a home in the big black devouring void, or Pinkerton for that matter. Songs like "Perfect Situation" and "The Damage In Your Heart" sound like something right out of the green album, while others like "We Are All On Drugs" show off the rockish Maladroit side of the Weez. Still most of the album has scattered bits such as harmonica that show the boys are still a little "Blue." // 10

Lyrics: With intense vocals that sometimes send shivers down your spine and new style-experiments like the New-wave anthem "This Is Such A Pity" Weezer very clearly show growth. // 10

Overall Impression: Weezer's new album Make Believe has been out for about a month now and nay leave some wondering "Does it hold up to the expectations?" or "Can Weezer still rock like they used to?" Unlike their other album which seem to follow a distinct sounding theme, this album takes snippets from past Weezer albums as well as mixing it up with some catchy experimental new ones. Some fans may notice Rivers retreating to emotional lyrics but wonder if he can ever write like he did durring the scrapped "Songs From The Black Hole," well in my opinion "Haun YOu Every Day" could have easily found a home in the big black devouring void, or Pinkerton for that matter. Songs like "Perfect Situation" and "The Damage In Your Heart" sound like something right out of the green album, while others like "We Are All On Drugs" show off the rockish Maladroit side of the Weez. Still most of the album has scattered bits such as harmonica that show the boys are still a little "Blue." Some say Weezer have taken a step back. If Weezer has taken any step back it's only the one to consider what they are about to crate before taking two steps foward. With intense vocals that sometimes send shivers down your spine and new style-experiments like the New-wave anthem "This Is Such A Pity" Weezer very clearly show that step foward. Will this album change your life? Probably not, but you may be suprised how quickly you find yourself changing in your old CD's to get a copy of Pinkerton, and shortly after that you'll probably be changing your wardrobe. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: come back_FIF!!, on june 30, 2005

Sound: The production of this album is very good. I liked all of the layers that Rivers has layed on; starting to use more piano, also he goes back to the harmonica for a little bit, more keyboards. Along with Rivers' great songwriting capability the overall sound of the album is great. // 10

Lyrics: First off I would like to say that lyrics mean next to nothing to me but since I honestly am going to give testament to this album's worth I will do my best. Since we all know how good Weezer's lyrics have been before, this album is a slight dissapointment, taking into account the fact that Weezer has songs like "Pink Triangle," and actually all of Pinkerton this album can seem to some a lackluster performance. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said earlier lyrics have very little weight in my mind when considering the overall worth of an album, so I would say that this album is up there with pinkerton, this is of course discounting the token single "Beverly Hills." If you ever liked anything that you've ever heard of Weezer's this album would be a good buy. It's not gonna change your life, but it'll come pretty close. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2005

Sound: I only recently started listening to Weezer when it was practical to have all their albums on my iPod for easy access, but after listening to a few of their songs I thought it would be worth my time to buy their albums, so I did. I was impressed. While I wasnt waiting the length of time some have been for this new album, I went out and bought it, no questions asked. I had heard "Beverly Hills" and wasn't overly impressed, but not disappointed either, and since 90% of singles are the worst music on an album I figured what the hell? I guess all I can say is "meh". Save for 3 songs, the album really didnt stick with me. It just didn't sound like Weezer. // 6

Lyrics: The thing about Weezer is lyrics can go in either direction. While most songs werent overly complicated or emotional, neither were a lot of previous "hits" on other albums (El Scorcho comes to mind, if I recall correctly, Rivers detests that song). But for certain, its mediocre work. I suppose I shouldnt be complaining too much, because I know I couldn't write a lyrically decent song if I tried, but neither can half of the pop rock bands out there. I guess thats why I expected more from this album. As others have pointed out, it seems like they tried to be mainstream here. While songs like "My Name Is Jonas" or "Slob" may not make the most sense, and songs like "Pink Triangle" at least made you think (I actually looked into what exactly a pink triangle symbolized and why), the songs on "Make Believe" aren't overly complicated at all. // 4

Overall Impression: As someone else said, 2 songs into Make Believe I was getting that "Uh oh am I going to like this?" feeling that I've gotten many times before. It seems that people who appreciate old school Weezer the most don't jive with this album. I wasn't a fan of the Green Album either, but I'd say this is worse. The 3 songs I enjoy the most (Being Pity, Drugs, and Perfect Situation) sound good to me, but I still rate this as being their worst album to date. Take that as what it's worth, I still think Blue was their best work, and is definately one of my most played albums. I'm glad I got Make Believe discounted, and I really dont know if I'm listening to the same album that all you people rating it 5's are. Maybe Weezer was trying to mature their sound, and maybe this is a transitional album. If they are successful at maturing as Blink was with their last album then its worth the wait and I'll definately buy their next album. Hopefully they don't break up before that happens. // 6

Make Believe Reviewed by: LinoleumDino, on august 29, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album was very interesting. The boys managed to keep that same old Weezer flavor but with a new and different twist to it. Take the song "This Is Such A Pity" for instance, it sounded like something off an '80s radio station, but yet still like Weezer. So, the first time I listened to the album it just kept me guessing. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of Make Believe were fairly typical of the group with one exception. The words and lines and verses were typical, but the songs as a whole, I found, don't tell as many stories like the old albums. It used to be that they were found in many of the songs. But overall the lyrics were pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: This album went in sort of a different direction for Weezer, but I'm not really sure that I can explain how. I think you would have to be at least a casual fan to know what I'm talking about. It was still a good album, don't get me wrong, but by far not the best. However, it does grow on you, and it's a great album for playing in the background while your hanging out with your friends. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy it again because I happen to be a die hard Weezer fan and I think they deserve the support. // 6

Make Believe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2005

Sound: Earlier this year, Weezer returned releasing their 5th official full length album, Make Believe. Make Believe is a huge step forward from recent Weezer albums in all fields. Rivers Cuomo takes all the elements Weezer has used on their previous albums (the old school garage rock sound from the blue album, the pure emo sound from pinkerton, the beatle inspiration from the green album and the '80s hair metal influence from maladroit)and mixes them together to form a beautiful noise. Songs like 'Perfect Situation,' 'Peace,' 'We Are All On Drugs' and 'My Best Friend' are like support beams, holding the album up and not letting songs like 'This Is Such A Pity' and 'Beverly Hills' make it fall down. This is a great way for Weezer to come back. // 9

Lyrics: In the most recent of Weezer albums, the lyrics have slowly gotten worse and less easier to comprehend. Apparently, Rivers has fixed that. Rivers hits the same topics he has always hit with his flawless tenor voice, but this time, more heart-felt and easier to understand. Did I mention when he sings in his falsetto, you get a sense of what it would be like if angels could sing. // 10

Overall Impression: Make Believe is by far one of the most impressive albums to be released in 2005. When many thought Weezer were washed up and over with, they prove with this album, even if you are in your late '30s/early '40s, you can still rock as hard as ever. The composition of this album is brilliant, from album art to the final chord of 'Haunt You Every Day.' Make Believe ranks highly among other Weezer releases. I have few, if none, pet peeves about this album. Buy this album. You will be very happy with your purchase. Ya just gotta love the Weez. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on november 26, 2005

Sound: Weezer's fifth album, Make Believe, has definitely followed the pop/punk trend of the time. The album is almost pro-tooled to death. By this I mean that Weezer had a big label, a lot of money, and tons of time to record the album. It was mixed to perfection in the studio, has a very modern sound, and there are no mistakes. Compare this to the blue album or pinkerton, where amps were buzzing and guitars were squealing all over the place (not a bad sound though). Those albums almost had a grungy, nirvana feel. Well, that sort of sound is long gone, and this is the perfected, high quality studio version. Anyway, the sound is catchy and the solos are great. Most of the songs have a sort of melancholy sound to them. Weezer really doesn't break any musical ground on the album, and they pretty much stick to the bread and butter sound of the green album. Nonetheless, the sound is good. The sound is pop/punk. The songs are very catchy, especially Beverly Hills and We are All on Drugs. This album kept the distinctive Weezer feel. It had the sometimes quirky feel to it. But overall, the sound was melancholy. Good overall sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album were definitely not the most original thing. They basically dealt with being lonely or rejected. But they did it in an "oh well" sort of way. They didn't do it in a sort of Linkin Park, whiny, angsty way. Think of melancholy lyrics like the Beatles would sometimes use. Anyway, Rivers Cuomo really used his voice well on the album (like all of weezer's stuff) and the lyrics really complied with the overall musical sound of the record. Rivers even does some falsetto on the album, and it sounds pretty good. Overall, the lyrics were nothing special, but they did their part faithfully in completing the overall albums sound. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a good, solid album. Go right ahead and buy it. However, if you are expecting an early Weezer sound (the blue album, pinkerton), you might want to listen to some of it to make sure about your purchase. If you liked the Green album and Maladroit, then yes, this album is for you. To me, "We Are All On Drugs" really stands out as one of the best on the album. It's got some cool riffs and is very catchy. Almost every song on the album will get stuck in your head, as they are all very catchy. There is no filler on the album, and that's one of the things I like. Also, all the songs fit into the album's overall theme, which makes it an album, and not just a random compilation of songs. If it were stolen or lost, I probably would not buy it again. This is not because it's not a really good album, but because I've already supported the band, I would just downlaod it. But the album is definitely worth the fifteen bucks I paid for it. // 8

Make Believe Reviewed by: A3oooBenjamin, on december 12, 2005

Sound: Honestly, this album doesn't have as good a sound as Pinkerton or Blue, but it sure comes close. Songs like "Beverly Hills" and "We Are All On Drugs" are just catchy and easy to get in your head, and easy to like. Style varies from songs like "Hold Me" to "Haunt You Every Day" and "Perfect Situation" to "The Damage In Your Heart." The best song has to be "Perfect Situation" because the guitar solo is amazing, the intro is awesome, and the general sound is great, just like the rest of the album, extraordinary. Weezer experimented a bit with songs like "This Is Such A Pity" (which had reto feel to it), and it worked, because the album is great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are true and original, and unique from the rest of the albums, or any other artist for that matter. They are easy to understand, and a lot of people can really relate to what Rivers is trying to say (including me). Rivers shows a lot of emotion through his lyrics on this album, as well as really shine through his vocals, which are amazing. The lyrics go with the music as well. If the sound is sad like in "Haunt You Every Day," then the lyrics sound melancholy, which is simply how the two correspond to each other. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has been really underestimated (kind of like Pinkerton at first) because everything is great about it. Compared to "Green," this album is extraordinary (even though "Green" is a great album as well). Weezer is in a league of their own, because no other artist can compare to the sound or lyrics the guys from the band put out. The best songs have to be "Perfect Situation," "This Is Such A Pity," "Hold Me," "The Damage In Your Heart" and "Haunt You Every Day." I love the album and hate nothing about, except the length of the album, which could've been longer. I recommend this CD to anybody who listens to anything, because there is something on this album that appeals to someone, whoever they might be (gangsters, cholos, preppy boys, etc). That's just how good Weezer is. Buy it. // 10

Make Believe Reviewed by: Mandarb408, on december 19, 2005

Sound: This band blew me away the first time I head them. My older bro was playing the Blue Album and I was hooked. That was years ago and I still love the sound. Weezer is unique, the sound is all there own and it is wonderful. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics struck a chord with me. I found them to be very deep. This did not come to me the first time I listed to the album, but after I had played it several times I started to think about what he was saying and not just takeing it at face value. Once you do that I feel that the lyrics will talk to you as they did for me. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD disappointed me for one other reason and that would have to be the druming. If you listen to the songs they all have the same basic beat. that is my only problem with this album. I feel that the lyrics a great and the guitar is decent. But that all in all it could have been much better if they only spent a little more time on the druming. This was my first review so I would love any advice good or bad. // 7

Make Believe Reviewed by: Lukeisonfire, on december 21, 2005

Sound: The sound is horrible. I know there's a lot of fans but they don't know how to do a solo or sound good. Beverly Hills is an annoying bubble gummy song that is irrataing! We Are All On Drugs is so bad, I have to explain late in this review. I have listened to the whole album and gave it a chance but no! It's horribly constructed. // 3

Lyrics: These lyrics are so bad it's funny. Even a title like "We Are All On Drugs" is just sad. Here's a piece of We Are All On Drugs "When your hanging with your friends in your new mercedes Benz." The songs were dully written and they cant write ok! They go off topic from the main subject of the song alot and if you don't think I'm right listen to the beauty of the song Out Of Exile by Audioslave. Best lyrics this year. // 1

Overall Impression: Don't even try picking this up. Insted buy Audioslave albums, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Tool, Nirvana, Rush, or Alice In Chains. I took this back faster then Tom Morello can shred. // 2

Make Believe Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on february 18, 2006

Sound: Weezer's most recent relase, and possibly their last, 'Make Believe' is a pop mixture. The opening track, the ever popular 'Beverly Hills' is very poppy. The rest of the album shows shades of grey between pop and alternative. Compared to the other Weezer disc I own, the Green Album, 'Make Believe' is somewhat edgier at times, but overall has softened up. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics don't make any sense, but luckily it's only some. Throughout the CD, there are many areas where better lyrics may have been more suitable for specfic times in the music. Rivers is a wonderful singer, especially on the interval jumps in 'Perfect Situation.' // 9

Overall Impression: For me, the most impressive songs included 'Hold Me', 'This Is Such A Pity', and 'Peace'. Strangely enough, Weezer has an almost metrosexual sound. There are the gritty parts, but also a very poppy sound and mood. I think this is unique, and I really enjoy this difference. I would most likely buy this again if lost or stolen, but overall it wasn't the greatest album I've heard, nor the worst. // 8

More Weezer reviews rating latest review
+ Everything Will Be Alright In The End 8.4 10/15/2014