Raditude Review

weezer: Raditude
Released: Nov 2, 2009
Genre: Pop Rock
Label: Geffen
Weezer's 7th studio album features no shortage of quirky themes, but this time around it all feels a bit forced.
 7.2
 6.4
 7.9
Raditude Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 13, 2009

Sound: Weezer will always have the quirky factor going for them, regardless of what musical turns the quartet takes. With the band's 7th studio album Raditude, there is no shortage of humorous, pop-culture-laden lyrics, but that's not always enough to engage listeners. Weezer has kept a fairly straightforward, power-chord approach to their music over the years, but on Raditude the melodies seem rehashed and often times somewhat annoying. Things start off on a positive note with the first few tracks, but then the album starts going off track way off track. The opener (If You're Wondering If I Want To) I Want To is a likeable enough song, driven by infectious rhythms and stripped down instrumentation. The storytelling device used for this track is particularly strong, especially when frontman Rivers Cuomo explains how he takes his date to Best Buy and later details how he is a vegetarian who is put in the uncomfortable situation of eating meat. I'm Your Daddy (although somewhat of an uninspired lyrical offering) is another highlight with its Cars-like musical format. Between the hand claps, the low-end guitar sounds, and the big chorus, it all works together. The Girl Got Hot tops off the best of the bunch with its shuffle rhythm and assortment of memorable whoas. The main issues come about halfway through the tracklist, with Can't Stop Partying standing out as one of the worst offerings. It's not the fact that Weezer has devoted a whole song to an overused hip-hop/pop theme or that Lil Wayne makes an appearance (because that's the highlight), but rather that it's a fairly repetitive, generic attempt at a party song. Put Me Back Together and Trippin' Down The Freeway show some promise, but in the end they are still pretty standard pop-rock fare. Love Is The Answer is the song that will leave you raising your eyebrows. In an attempt to be a cross between Ravi Shankar and the spiritualized George Harrison, Weezer has whipped out the sitars and starts spreading the message of love. That would fine and good if not strategically placed between such cheesy titles as Trippin' Down The Freeway and Let It All Hang Out. // 6

Lyrics: The assumption has to be made that Weezer, a group that has delivered some highly amusing songs in the past, has tongue deeply placed in cheek on Raditude. The titles, although perhaps meant to be taken with a grain of salt, still manage to get on one's nerves because the musical content simply isn't inspired enough to push the humor forward. It's true that the band still has a knack for coming up with unusual lyrical content (You told me stories about your chickadees; They didn't like BB guns or stupid archery; And Shaun the lifeguard; He let them use the pool all day for free in (If You're Wondering If I Want To) I Want To). Does that make up for a song like Can't Stop Partying (I can't stop partying, partyingI gotta have PatronI gotta have a lot of pretty girls around me)? Usually not. // 7

Overall Impression: After several years of not being particularly pleased with Weezer's direction, I was hoping to fully embrace Raditude. Unfortunately, Rivers Cuomo is mired in topics that he probably should have shed about a decade ago. You could argue that he's just keeping things fun by sticking with the pop rock sound and singing about malls, parties, and being someone's daddy, but as a veteran band, it just seems forced. // 6

Raditude Reviewed by: you = fail, on november 13, 2009

Sound: Weezer has been one of my favorite pop rock bands because of the Blue album and Pinkerton. I have like about half the songs on Maladroit, Green album, and Make Believe. I did however like the Red Album. I thought the Red Album was a great new direction for Weezer while still maintaining their pop roots. Weezer took that sound from the Red Album and used it to create Raditude. Raditude is an abomination. This is coming from a long time fan of Weezer. I heard the new single and I was blown away. It was the Weezer that I had missed and I demanded my friend to torrent me the album until I could buy it. I just needed it as soon as possible because I was so stoked. Then I listened to the album. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are all really catchy. I expect a Harvard graduate, Rivers Coumo, to write something intelligent but I think his writing fits the style. I do like the lyrics, but I feel that the vocals could have been much more strong. The vocal patterns sort of follow that of The Fray. I can't stand The Fray because the singer seems inable to elevate his voice at all (and the music is overall boring). Don't get me wrong, Coumo still raises his voice, but its purely for climatic purposes. Not any of the fun vocal patterns like in El Sorcho on Pinkerton. // 6

Overall Impression: I find the music incredibly slow and boring. I do not look for anythign in pop music other than being catchy, but it seems as if Weezer has even failed in being catchy on this album. I did not think that possible for a pop band. The first three songs are okay and I may put them on my ipod to listen to once in a while; the first three songs are the single, I'm Your Daddy, and The Girl Got Hot respectively. Then it seems almost as if Weezer wrote seven filler songs to throw them on the album. Can't Stop Partying through I Don't Want To Let Go bores me to tears. It almost makes me sad how much Weezer has followed present day music acts. Can't Stop Partying sounds almost like theyre trying to make a techno (I don't know if thats the right genre; to the elistists) song and they even have a rapper on the track. I hate it. It isn't even engaging enough to be okay. Sorry to tear Can't Stop Partyin to shreds, but I wanted to make an example. The rest of the album Weezer seems to recycle old riffs in different places in order to make it seem layered. I just hate it. I think the only songs in these seven fillers I like is Let It All Hang Out, but the verse riff sounds strangely similar to Beverly Hills. I may have been unfairly critical on the band because as I'm listening to the album more and more, it is sort of wearing off on me but I feel that Weezer it trying to retain its youth by writing meaningless songs. I think that they should go back to the Pinkerton days, even if its just for lyrics. Or they should write about their lives in the present. You can't stay twenty forever. Sorry Weezer, I love you but this has tested me. // 6

Raditude Reviewed by: Paul*Stanley, on november 13, 2009

Sound: Weezer is a unique band. Their sound has never stopped evolving, and they have never hesitated to experiment with something different. At the same time, you can always tell when you hear a Weezer song. "Raditude" is no different. There's not really a genre to put Weezer into. But to put it simply, if you liked Weezer's other albums, you'll like this one. If you didn't like Weezer before, you're not going to like them now. The best song on the album is easily the single and first track off the disc, "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To." Rivers Cuomo, the band's singer and primary songwriter, is in top form. It's a fun song that will make you chuckle and will get stuck in your head all day long. "I'm Your Daddy" and "The Girl Got Hot" are good songs that are in the same vein of "I Want You To;" they're upbeat and pretty catchy. "Can't Stop Partying" and "Put Me Back Together" are much more low-key and aren't quite as good as the way the album kicks off. "Love Is the Answer" experiments with some Indian-sounding effects. That's interesting and makes the track stand out from the others a little bit, but doesn't make it particularly better. "Let It All Hang Out" is a song that fans of Weezer's "Buddy Holly" will like and is one of the best songs "Raditude" has to offer. Like "Love Is the Answer," "I Don't Want To Let You Go" has some differentiating effects that give it dream-like qualities different from the other songs here, but once again, it's not much better. "Turn Me Around" sounds like an old Green Day song and so we end the album on a rather high note. The album opens strongly, but tapers off and picks up a little at the end, but could be better. // 7

Lyrics: In my opinion, Cuomo is pretty clever. He's written some really catchy lyrics, like those of "Beverly Hills" and "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived." Other than "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To," though, the album's lyrics are pretty run-of-the-mill. They're not bad, but they're nothing to write home about. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said before, "Raditude" won't change anyone's opinion of Weezer. It's an alright album, though, and Weezer fans should definitely pick it up. It's not Weezer's best, nor is it their worst. It's just another solid addition to their catalog. If you're looking for something new to listen to, "Raditude" should do just fine until Weezer's next release. // 7

Raditude Reviewed by: americnidiot, on november 13, 2009

Sound: The album will be disappointing for some Weezer fans and others may like it. It keeps with the trend Weezer have been moving in, from rather simple rock in their first few albums to more electronic and pop oriented songs. The album is much like that of the Red Album in terms of sound, but I do sense hints of their past few few records scattered throughout, although not nearly as prevalent as many fans would likely want. The sound is decent, but a bit generic in some of the songs. Some of it is classic Weezer styling, while other songs incorporate rap in Can't Stop Partying (with the assistance of Lil Wanye.) The song with Lil Wayne is a bit generic, boring, annoying, and brought down by Lil Wayne as is the case with most music he attaches himself to. There is also an Arabic/Irish? influence in some of the songs from Jacknife Lee, which is also a bit annoying. Overall, the majority of the tracks have a solid musical offering, with a few exceptions that are either boring or annoying. Cuomo's vocals are what's expected of him, and the guitars are what you'd expect in most cases as well. I do like the incorporation of more electronic drum type things in some cases as well. // 8

Lyrics: This is probably the weakest point of the album. Most of the lyrics sound like something written by a junior-high school student. Most of them involve the liking of partying, love, or something else of the sort. It's not that they're terrible, it's just they're pretty generic and intended to be more fun. Don't look for any deep meaning in this album for the most part, because you won't find it. River's vocals sound pretty nearly identical in every song and it just gets old after a while. That being said it's nothing that makes you never want to listen to the album again. // 5

Overall Impression: Compared to some more recent Weezer releases, I'd say Red and Raditude are both near the top, but that being said, they still don't quite have that charm the older albums have. They certainly have gone in a different direction, but it's a relatively enjoyable one with a few bumps along the road. I'd recommend Raditude to any Weezer fan or anyone who heard and liked any of their songs over the past five years or so on pop radio. // 7

More Weezer reviews rating latest review
+ Everything Will Be Alright In The End 8.3 10/15/2014