Weezer (Blue Album) Review

artist: weezer date: 11/20/2009 category: compact discs
weezer: Weezer (Blue Album)
Released: May 10, 1994
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2005

Sound: This is one of the things that has always impressed me about Weezer and has always rung true in their albums even if the lyrics seemed lackluster (a-la Make Believe). The sound is an awesome mix of punk, alt rock, and metal. The guitar work is wonderful and seems simplistic at some points but only is simplistic to serve the purpose of the song. The solos are impressive and remind me of good old fashion classic rock solos sometimes. The drums and bass are impressive and can truly drive the songs. The best part about the album though is its energy. From the very first time I heard "My Name Is Jonas" I knew there was alot going on in this record. The chugging guitars build and build from the beginning to the amazing finale. Simply incredible. // 10

Lyrics: This in my personal opinion is where the album really comes together. Each song is a great example of songwriting. Rivers Cuomo shows us an amazing self analyzation and puts so much passion in each word. One complaint some have had is that some of the lyrics "don't make sense." Not true. Each song has a meaning and is a part of the overall theme of the Blue Album. My personal favorite being "My Name Is Jonas." This song is simply amazing. The song is about facing life and leaving home but still keeping your roots in your heart. The vocals soar in an amazing choral fashion as it slowly builds to the empowering crescendo and the lyrical return home. Each set of lyrics takes a mood and a feeling and builds on it with every word from Cuomo's voice. He sings with so much raw passion and pride that you feel attached to him throughout the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably one of the landmark CD's of alt rock and post grunge. It's seems simple but just like the color blue it's got meaning hidden in it. When you really get into the lyrics it's just shy of a concept album. Their is not a single song on this album that I don't like. It is not only technically proficient but emotionally as well. Get on your damn knees and thank who ever you pray to that this album was made. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: registered_user, on may 29, 2007

Sound: Weezer's sound is part of a group of bands that define the '90s alternative sound for me. Although I know there were many good and respectable bands to come out the 90's with a harder sound (Soundgarden, Rage, Stone Temple Pilots to name a couple) it is the alternative bands that really define the decade. Bands like Oasis, Weezer, Green Day, Everclear, and others all made their stamp on the music industry during this decade and I love it. Weezer is my favorite of these bands without a doubt and this album is among their two best (Pinkerton being the only other album that comes close to it in quality music). I believe that this was their pinnacle and that they receaded after this which is a shame. The CD is comprised of one amazing song after another. This sound is what defined Weezer, and this sound is what will always define Weezer. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are simple and elegant. There are some interesting songs with lyrics that drift around topics that only Rivers could probably understand (Buddy Holly) and there are those narcissistic ones that focus on depressing qualifications for Rivers' life and companions (No One Else and The World Has Turned and Left Me Here). They all mesh very well with the music and I think are certainly the best ever written by the band. Rivers, despite being a pretty quiet and reserved guy, is a very talented singer and deserves more credit than he gets oftentimes. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, in my opinion, is the best alternative rock album of the 1990s, and maybe of all time. While all the songs are good I would have to say that the standout songs for me would be Say It Aint So, Only In Dreams, Undone the Sweater Song, and Buddy Holly. I think that these songs all have a lot of variety and can drift from the heaviest of Weezer sounds to the lightest and gentlest of Weezer sounds. If I lost this album than it would be immediately put on my purchase again list because it is a classic that everyone should listen to. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: DeathcabforARL, on november 20, 2009

Sound: In 1994, Weezer released their self-titled debut album. It's power pop sound was nothing like the grunge that was receiving massive amounts of airplay in those days. And it was genius. From the amazing guitar solos in songs like My Name Is Jonas and In The Garage, to the bassline in Only In Dreams, this album is musical genius. As the main songwriter, Rivers Cuomo really encompassed the feeling of every lyric in the album with every note played by the band. // 10

Lyrics: Like the album's sound, the lyrics were also genius. Although you might not be able to figure out what the hell Rivers is talking about in Undone (The Sweater Song) and in My Name Is Jonas, the songs have a very deep meaning to them. Most of the songs are drawn from experiences in Rivers' life. From his brother's car accident in My Name is Jonas, to his mistaken belief that his estranged father was an alcoholic in Say It Ain't So. The song whose lyrics stirke me the most however, is Only In Dreams. The way Rivers sings this song makes me feel the disappointment that one feels when you awaken from a dream like that depicted in the song. Rivers harmonics with Matt Sharp's treademark falsetto also gave the singing a litte twist from what I'm used to hearing. // 10

Overall Impression: From the first time I listened to it, The Blue Album has been in my opinion, one of the most amazing pieces of music in history. I think it should be hailed as one of the most important albums of the 90's along with Nirvana's Nevermind and Green Day's Dookie. Every single song from this album is impressive, from the opening riff of My Name Is Jonas to the climactic solo and final note in the bassline of Only In Dreams. I love the lyrics, the solos, the falsettoes, hell, everything about this album. Nothing to hate except the fact that Weezer will never release anything this epic again. If it were stolen, I'd track down the person who stole it, and beat them till they gave back. In short, the Blue Album is an amazing piece of music, no matter how many unlikeable turns Weezer may take now or in the future. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on january 29, 2004

Sound: Weezer's first albulm has some wierd but excellent sounds. The guitars sound great especially on Undone, Say it Ain't so and In the Garage. The drums are also quite excellent. The vocals are right on the money. The ending on undone was pretty weird. But overall The albulm is a sweet blend of emo. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written. I especially enjoyed some of the lyrics from Say it ain't so. In The Garage tells what a garage band is. Though some of the lyrics like on Undone were kinda laughable but it made up in sound wise. The singer is pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: Weezer's first albulm is one of their best. I prefer it over Pinkerton, which many call their best albulm. The best songs are Say it ain't so, My name is Jonas, In the Garage, Undone, and Surfwax America. I love how the songs just hook you in. Although some of the songs like Undone were weird lyric wise it kicked ass sound wise with the two guitars playing. If someone stole it I would definitely buy it. Definitely worth buying. Weezer kicks ass. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2004

Sound: Man this album rocks. This is one of those albums you can listen too through and through and never get tired of it. This album would fall into pop-punk, emo, power-pop and that sorta thing. The songs are mostlty simple and very catchy. The solos area all cool too. However some of the songs dont take advantage of two guitars and sound maybe too simple. But the singing and just pure catchiness of the songs make em good. Also i love how the dont only use power chords like most bands today. // 10

Lyrics: Rivers Cuomo has got the perfect voice for Weezer, 'nuff said. And u gotta love the super high back-up vocals. Most of the songs have awesome lyrics. However some of the songs lyrics are kinda strange and pointless (Buddy Holly, Undone). But they still go with the songs famously. // 8

Overall Impression: First off i say that i was never a big weezer fan. Sure I liked them, but they werent one of my favorites. Until one of my friends popped in the blue album. I was stunned! Now im huge Weezer fan. Its in my opinion there best. It should have won a grammy or somethin'. Anyway its got 10 songs on it of pure fun emo. The songs are super catchy and make ya want to sing along. My favorite songs on the album are "Buddy Holly", "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here" and "In The Garage. I even bought it at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks! If this was stolen or if even one of the songs skipped id go out and but it again. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: gryftorsguitar, on june 25, 2004

Sound: This album is just alot of fun to listen to over and over and never get tired of it. They mix a little emo with some good rock to make really catchy rifts like sa it ain't so and undone. Also on just about every song they have a little solo thats really fun to learn and play with your band. // 10

Lyrics: To be honest, on a lot of the songs, such as Unone, Buddy Holly, and My Name Is Jonas, the lyrics don't make since. But thats ok because there hillarious. They make the lyrics fit perfectly into the song. There are however some meaningful songs such as say it aint so. The skill of the singer is pretty high, but hes no freddy mercury or anything. // 8

Overall Impression: This is on my top 10 favorite albums. Every single song is increadibly catchy and fun to listen and sing along to. I wish some of the lyrics made sence, but they obviously made the guitar first then looped in lyrics. I would deffinatly buy this album if I were you if you like good fun rock thats not hardcore or depresing or anything. I bet you you've heard undone and Buddy Holly and probly say it ain't so if you listen to any rock stations, and if ou liked them buy this album. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2005

Sound: This album is one of the most enjoyable albums I have heard for quite some time. The sound of the album is really fun and is great at mixing emo and good old fashion rock. The thing that stood out for me the most (sound wise) was the guitar, especially on songs like "Undone (Sweater Song)," Say It Ain't So," "Holiday" and "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were another amazing part of this album. River Cuomo has a great imagination and create amazing and emotional songs (Say It Ain't So, The World Has Turned And Left Me Here) and then create amazing and hilarious songs with hidden meanings, I don't know (Buddy Holly, Undone). // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely Weezer's best album and it would be right up there in my all time favorite albums as well. The best tracks on the album are; "Say It Ain't So," "Undone," "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here" and "Buddy Holly." I personally love the guitar and vocals work on this album, which makes every song fun and very catchy. If this CD were lost or stolen I would definitely replace it asap. I also recommend anyone looking to get into Wezzer to buy this album first it is defiantly their best work. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: DanTheMan7772, on july 22, 2005

Sound: Weezer has a very interesting sound that you can easily catch. Every song has a different sound, and sometimes River's uses a different voice. In the song "Buddy Holly" River's takes his voice down notches to show off his impressive voice. The Blue album is my favoirte Weezer album, and really blows away anything you would expect. Dragging you in with the opening Acoustic solo into the harder rock of "My Name Is Jonas" and ending off with the long, more musical "Only In Dreams." // 10

Lyrics: River's boast and incredible voice, along with incredible lyrics. At times he sings of things that you can relate to, other times he makes no sense, but in a way you really don't care. Changing his voice through various songs to keep you interested. // 10

Overall Impression: This my personal favorite Weezer album, and should it get lost or stolen, I would go out and buy it in a heartbeat. I love everything about this album, there is nothign to hate here. My personal favorite songs are "My Name Is Jonas," "Buddy Holly," "Undone," "Say It Ain't So," "Only In Dreams." // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: aleister, on september 29, 2005

Sound: Weezer is a band with a constantly evolving sound. The Blue Album was the first one that I came across, but the one that I most recently discovered. If they were to have published it today, I would say that it was a dramatic departure from their synth and keyboard-heavy sounds featured on Make Believe, but as it was 4 albums previous, I honestly can't say that. What I can say is that it is a significantly stripped-down sound with a classic rock kind of feel to it. It seems almost like a campy version of the Foo Fighters' The Colour And The Shape. // 8

Lyrics: Rivers does an excellent job of filling in the gap between guitar solos with interesting and immersive lyrics, as well as maintaining consistent vocal rhythm. His skill at the mic borders on virtuoso, as he ventures from the calm narrative of "My Name Is Jonas" to the almost jovial "No One Else" and back to the forlorn "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here" easily. // 8

Overall Impression: Weezer's debut album certainly makes an impression on me. I can't say that there are any other bands with quite the same sound as early Weezer, at least that I have heard of, which makes this album that much more special. I'd have to say that "Holiday" and "Surf Wax America" are the most noteworthy songs, claiming not only complex guitar parts but also compelling lyrics and classic hooks. If this album were stolen, I wouldn't be able to buy it again because I would be too busy crying. I love this album. // 9

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: rocknroll22, on october 18, 2005

Sound: I thought the sound on this album was great. The song "Undone (The Sweater Song)" mixed a steady drum beat with a clean, then acoustic, then distorted guitar, and then piano in the outro. I think my favorite song "Say It Ain't So" mixes a smooth intro and verse into a loud distorted chorus and solo. Superb. // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were all pretty good. I know some songs reached out to earlier times with weezer like "In The Garage" and some were just for fun from the band like "No One Else," "Buddy Holly" and "Surf Wax America". I loved the chorus lyrics to "Undone" even tho it didn't make much sense. I think Rivers's voice goes great with Weezer's overall sound. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this was definitely Weezer at their best. I pretty much love every song on here. I mean you cant beat "My Name Is Jonas," "No One Else," "Buddy Holly," "The Sweater Song," "Say It Ain't So," "Surf Wax America" and "In The Garage". All those amazing songs on one album is unreal. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2006

Sound: On Weezer's first release, The Blue Album, is full of catchy power chorded riffs, phychidelic sounting solos that are reminisent of Hendrix, single note melodies and even fingerpicked acoustics. The sound Weezer is unlike anything in mainstream music today, or any band for that matter. It's weird because every entrument sounds like it has a different influence but they combine them all and make a new tone all of their own. One of the most creative styles in modern punk/emo today. // 10

Lyrics: Rivers Cuomo is definately a visionary in turning his thoughts it to sorrowful (the world has turned and left me here, say it ain't so, in the garage) but more often than not, comical and jovial (Buddy Holly, Undone, My Name Is Jonas). He can make you feel all of these emotions with his style, which is almost like Freddy Murcury, and his clean acousic melodies. And Bassist Matt Sharp just adds to the lyrical experience. His high pitched squeel is hilarious. But probably the greatest element of this album is how Rivers lyrics are something every punk or outcast can relate to. Overall quite great. // 10

Overall Impression: Probably one of the top 5 punk albums ever written (or will be written). The guitar drives the progression of Rivers unorthodox lyrics. I love the fact the way Rivers crafts his solos and like I said earlier, they are a bit like Hendrix in tone. Comparible to Bad Religion or Nirvana. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2006

Sound: The Blue Album is a sincere, witty magnum opus from nerd rock band Weezer. First up is My Name Is Jonas, a mellow yet upbeat song. The brief track hoards energetic beats and builds up to a zenith of layered guitar riffs. It's got a rather puzzling set of lyrics, but the song is one of the best on the disc, no questions asked. // 10

Lyrics: A few tracks follow the romantic crusade of Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo. No One Else is an optimistic personal ad in which Cuomo seeks 'a girl who will laugh for no one else'. He finds his Mary Tyler Moore in Buddy Holly. After a whimsical fling, she abruptly dumps him, resulting in The World Has Turned And Left Me Here. These songs depict both emotional and practical relationships. Some of the heavier tracks emphasize Weezer's heavy metal influences. It's mentioned in lyrics that Cuomo's favourite rock group is Kiss. Undone and In The Garage both rock hard and end in eardrum-bursting solos. Initially, Say It Ain't So sounds like a classic, ska-inspired jam. This does not hold true once you get to the heavy, distorted chorus and Cuomo's masterful shredding in the guitar solo. // 9

Overall Impression: Each Blue Album song is a lyrical and musical triumph. When combined with Cuomo's frank, unassuming vocals, they are also distinctively comical. The record also shows major instrumental innovation. Finally, somebody fingerpicks on an electric guitar. Also, no studio effects were used on the album. The tones that Weezer propels and the moods fashioned are admirable alone. 5 out of 5 wheezes. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: GooseMcShred, on march 18, 2008

Sound: The 1994 self titled album by Weezer, known as 'the Blue album' due to it's cover, has one of the most unique and influential sounds of modern guitar records. At a time when grunge was prominent, the Blue Album stands out with it's unashamedly catchy guitar hooks, poppy choruses, falsetto singing, and awesome guitar solos. While the guitar and bass drive throughout, the sound always remains bright and never becomes heavy or too powerful. The guitar solos never outstay their welcome and serve to push each song to greater heights, conveying the exact emotion the song needs. I have never heard an opening solo which conveys such elation as that of "Holiday," or the full emotion of the the epic climax of "Only In Dreams." Musically the producer, Rick Ocasek of the Cars, had a positive influence. Suggesting the band use the lead pickups instead of the rythm Weezer separated themselves further from the grunge crowd. Also of note the band practised singing barbershop in order to help with the falsetto highs, key to Weezer's Blue Album sound: the familiar "Ooeeoo"s and "Oh oh"s that fill such instant classics as Buddy Holly. Worth mentioning is that all guitars are played without any effects added, only distortion. This adds to the feeling of innocence and purity that is carried throughout the entire album, from the opening fingerpicking of "My Name is Jonas" to the final note of "Only In Dreams." // 10

Lyrics: An album filled with stellar lyrics throughout. At first glance the lyrics of some songs can appear cryptic and at times nonsense, such as "My Name is Jonas", and "The Sweater Song". With a few listens the meaning begins to leak out, until you begin to get the full picture, this makes Blue Album one of the most listenable albums I have ever heard. Some of the most fantastic lyrics come from the 10th and final song on the album, "Only In Dreams." This song portrays a cutting and emotional tale of an interrupted dream of a lover who is lost upon waking. The lyrics perfectly capture the way memory of a dream fades away so quickly as you try to remember, but fail to hold on. In places the songs on the album can be seen to lyrically run together, such as "No One Else," and "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here." // 10

Overall Impression: This is undoubtedly one of the greatest, and most loved albums of all time, nothing I can possibly say could ever convey the sheer perfection of this record. There is no bad song on this album, there are no songs which are better than others, all the songs shine in their own way and will live on for a long, long time. I have lost this album a couple times, both times I replaced it the same day; as I listen to it a heck of a lot! I have given a few copies as gifts to friends as well. This is an album you can listen to on repeat without ever getting bored, if you don't own this record then you should! There is also a deluxe version avaliable which contains some fantastic rareties. // 10

Weezer (Blue Album) Reviewed by: slashchild, on june 14, 2008

Sound: Weezer is a truly legendary alternative/punk band from the post-grunge era. Weezer is one of my favorite bands of the '90s, right up there with Nirvana, Oasis, and Stone Temple Pilots, to name a few. Rivers is a great guitarist and singer, and the guitars are great in this album. The drums are also impressive, and the beats really drive the songs along with the great bass. The guitar solos are very impressive, and better than those in most modern rock, and although the guitar is sometimes simplistic, it still helps make the songs amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very good. Rivers Cuamo is an absolutely amazing singer, and no one else could fit those types of songs any better. Some people say Weezer's lyrics are confusing and stupid, and I pity them. Although it is true that Rivers surely isn't the best songwriter and the lyrics are sometimes silly (undone, buddy holly) they still match the songs very well. The lyrics also seem to have some deeper meanings than what they first seem to be. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is definetely Weezer's best album, and one of the greatest albums of the '90s (bested only by Nirvana's "Nevermind" or "In Utero"). This album defines not only Weezer, but also '90s alternative rock as a whole. My favorite songs are "My Name Is Jonas", "Buddy Holly", "Say It Ain't So", "In The Garage", and "Only In Dreams", but all songs are amazing. I love how well the instruments compliment each other, even if they are a little simplistic at times. I don't like how sometimes Rivers's lyrics don't make sense, but his amazing singing more than makes up for it. It is a shame that Weezer never made another album as good as this debut, but of course that would be nearly impossible. However, I still think all Weezer albums are great (except make believe.) If this album was stolen, I would immediately buy a new copy. // 10

More Weezer reviews rating latest review
+ Hurley 7.4 09/21/2010