Weezer (Green Album) Review

artist: weezer date: 05/22/2004 category: compact discs
weezer: Weezer (Green Album)
Released: May 15, 2001
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angst-Ridden, Wry, Earnest, Summery, Cheerful
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk-Pop, Emo
 7.3
 8.6
Weezer (Green Album) Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2004

Sound: Weezer's music throughout all their albums vary. Blue had a light hearted feel to it, pinkerton had a pissed off feel to it, now the green album has more of a pop-rock feel to it. The music played on this record sounds like something the early Beatles would have done if they had heavy distorted guitars. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, some are light hearted, like "island in the sun" and "photograph", but some have more of a sad feel to it like "o girlfriend". His voice goes great with the music, Rivers voice always has really. Unlike pinkerton he really has no screaming or edge to his voice, which is better for this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Green i would have to say is my 3rd favorite out of Weezer's four records, its hard to follow up classics like pinkerton and blue. The strongest songs on the cd are "dont let go" "hash pipe and "island in the sun", although all of them are great songs. I love the fact that they are able to have a new sound each record, and not a clone of what they did last time, even though pop-rock isnt exactly my favorite type of music. If i were to lose this cd, i would not be hesitant in the least to go buy it again, it is totally worth 15 dollars. // 10

Weezer (Green Album) Reviewed by: iamjosh, on may 22, 2004

Sound: While Weezer is still about the heavy guitars and solos, the sound is somewhat cleaner here. Weezer's big problem here is that their sound becomes way, WAY too formulaic on this album. I can actually give the formula for a Green Album song: verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo (same tune as verse)/chorus. Any deviation from this pattern is extremely slight. Even though in some ways Weezer's sound hasn't made a drastic change, in many other ways it has made a turn for the worse. // 4

Lyrics: Rivers has stayed pretty much on target here. He didn't go overly emo (I'm looking at you, Pinkerton), nor overly artsyfartsy, and he preserved Weezer's trademark quirkiness. Nothing really makes me jump up and say "woah!" but nothing makes me roll my eyes and reach for the skip button either. Rivers has a good voice as well, but he doesn't use it to it's full capacity. There's no emotion atall in his voice on this album. // 6

Overall Impression: I almost feel like when Rivers wrote this album, he was cynical about the shape of music today and decided to write 10 songs that he knew would sell, just for a laugh, especially considering how much better its successor is. There's no emotion, no art, just 10 bland pop-rock tracks full of chords and no riffs, voice but no feeling, sound but no thought. I still quite like a few songs. "Island In The Sun," "Hash Pipe," but when it's all said and done, at the end of 10 songs and 28 minutes, I feel cheated. // 6

More Weezer reviews rating latest review
+ Hurley 7.4 09/21/2010