The North Stands For Nothing [EP] Review

while she sleeps: The North Stands For Nothing [EP]
Released: Sep 18, 2010
Genre: Hardcore/Metalcore
Label: Small Town Records
This is real, raw hardcore that any fan of the genre will appreciate and this is only a taste of what is yet to come.
 8.3
 7.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The North Stands For Nothing [EP] Reviewed by: seeingred1992, on august 17, 2011

Sound: While She Sleeps have been busting up the British hardcore scene for a fair few years, and now (after the departure of their old vocalist) the band have gone from unknown to leading the growing wave of British Hardcore. Their debut EP titled "The North Stands From Nothing" (giving a clear nod to England's North/South divide) gives us a clear picture to this bands potential. With styles ranging from 2000s Hardcore to melodic, 80s metal guitar work, all propped up against an apocalyptic sounding backdrop(echoing a tea spoon of inspiration from Gallow's sophmore "Grey Britain") this is a truly enticing piece of work. Lead single "Crows" paints this description nicely, instead of breaking into a full hardcore assault they take their time and build into the meat of the song with the occasional melodic guitar work. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to be all over the place in parts however when they get it right, they get it right. With anthemic lines that people can relate to ("I live this life with no regrets/I live and I lean/forgive and forget") to the "unity" that is seen within hardcore ("if we pull together/we'll break these f--king chains") you could be fooled into thinking these lines are well thought out (however in an interview with Bring the noise their explanation for the title made little to no sense). Vocally the ability is good, not getting too technical with his screams (not ranging from Mich Lucker highs to Phil Bozeman lows) but they're a real hardcore band and you can hear the passion in his voice as he screams every word. During the recording of the album Vocalist Lawrence was suffering from pneumonia, so on that account a very good believable performance. // 8

Overall Impression: For anyone who has not heard of this band before I would strongly advise checking them out as soon as possible. This is real, raw hardcore that any fan of the genre will appreciate (aside their merch collection which more or less is like a clothing brand) and this is only a taste of what is yet to come. I would recommend checking out songs "Crows" and "Hearts Aside Our Horses" and if this album was whipped off my hard drive I would download it again without a second thought. // 10

More While She Sleeps reviews rating latest review