De Stijl Review

Released: Jun 20, 2000
Label: V2
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Garage Rock Revival, Blues-Rock
De Stijl blends the Stripes' arty leanings with enough rock muscle to back up the band's ambitions.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.8
 9.2
De Stijl Reviewed by: LedDaveZeppelin, on february 07, 2008

Sound: This is the second album that the White Stripes put out. It has a pretty big change in sound compared to the first album. This CD has more of a professional quality to it. Of course it still has that nice Blues/Rock feel. Jack has introduced some new instrument to the White Stripes sound. One of which being the cello, heard in "I'm Bound to Pack it Up" and the other being the paino, heard in "Apple Blossom" and "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise". These two instrument definitely played a huge role in giving this CD a fuller sound. Jack White also covers two songs on this album, "Death Letter" Orginally recorded by: Son House; and "Your Southern Can Is Mine" Orginally recorded by: Blind Willie McTell. "Your Southern Can Is Mine" has a down south Country feel while "Death Letter" has an all around Blues feel. Jack did an increadable job covering these songs, as well as every other song on this album. // 10

Lyrics: In my opinion the lyrics were pretty amazing on this album. Jack definitely got a lot more creative with the lyrics on this album than on the first. This CD makes the most sense to me lyrically. Everything Jack White sings about on this album I can pretty much relate to. I thought songs like "Sister, Do You Know My Name?" and "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise" had awesome lyrics. I also found Jack Whites singing to be increadable on this album. Jacks vocals sounded great whether he was singing a blues song, a country song, with distorted guitars or with acousitcs. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this was a great album. It's probably my favorite of all the White Stripes albums. There was not one song I didn't like on this CD. Personally I don't think this album get the recognition it deserves. I would definitely buy this CD again if it were ever lost or stolen. // 9

De Stijl Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Sound: This record had more of a blues-rock sound. Jack's voice was incredible. They did a Blind Willie McTell cover song and that really had a blues sound to it. // 10

Lyrics: In my opinion, this record had the best lyrics out of all five record. Some of my favorites are "I'm Bound To Pack It Up," "Apple Blossom" and "Jumble, Jumble," I think the lyrics on that song really bring out The White Stripes in this record. // 10

Overall Impression: This record was of The White Stripes better records and some very impressive songs on this record were "I'm Bound To Pack It Up," "Apple Blossom," and "You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)." I loved the sound on this record and the lyrics and vocals we're incredible everything was how it was supposed to be and there was really nothing wrong with this record and if it was stolen or lost I would buy it again. // 10

De Stijl Reviewed by: 3l3phant, on june 13, 2005

Sound: 2nd record from the White Stripes, and in my opinion, the most indie sounding one they have. The debut was raw, the two that follow this one are cleaned up, and the new one is enigmatic. This one really has a great indie sound to it. Clean guitar riffs, distorted rhythm licks, bang-bang Meg White drumming, and even auxilary items too. A harmonica and an electric violin make an appearance. Also, this album has a few really good jams too. Personally my favorite sounding Stripes album (although I haven't really decided my opinion on the new album yet). // 10

Lyrics: You can hear Jack coming in to his own here as a song writer. On "Little Bird," he sings the blues about how hes never letting his women go. From helping out his girl friends ("Apple Blossom," "Truth Doesn't Make A Noise," "You're Pretty Good Looking"), to the pain of leaving ("I'm Bound To Pack It Up"), even to the confusion of suicide ("Why Can't You Be Nicer To Me?"), Jack spreads his songwriting wings. Sure, there may be a few throw-away tunes ("Hello Operator," "Jumble-Jumble"), but Jack makes up for that. Two songs, "Your Southern Can Is Mine" (Blind Willie McTell) and "Death Letter" (the great Son House) are old blues covers. "Death Letter" features a really great jam session about a minute long (rare these days), and is probably my favorite Stripes song ever. // 8

Overall Impression: A very strong album that was a necessary building block in their advancement. After this record, they built up enough popularity to warrant a major label signing, which they released "White Blood Cells" on, which in turn blew them up and launched them into the mainstream. I really don't understand why no one has commented on this yet. This was the album that vaulted Jack and Meg from king and queen of indie-rock to king and queen of rock'n'roll. // 10

De Stijl Reviewed by: audioslave3, on august 12, 2005

Sound: On this record the sound to me had more of a blues feel. I heard Jack's vocals on this record and they were incredible, better than the other White Stripes records. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record seemed to be a little different on this record the other of their records. "Apple Blossom," "I'm Bound To Pack It Up," and "Jumble, Jumble" are some songs with sort of a different style of lyrics. I think they did a pretty good job matching the music to the lyrics, Meg does a pretty good job on the drums and as I mentioned above Jack's vocals are incredible on this particular record. // 10

Overall Impression: Some impressive songs on this record are "Apple Blossom," "I'm Bound To Pack It Up," "Jumble, Jumble" and "Truth Doesn't Make A Noise." I think this record doesn't really sound like any other type of band. The White Stripes have sort of a sound of there own so I don't think this record sounds like any other albums or artists. I loved about everything about this record because they combined great songwriting with perscition druming with great vocals. If something was to happen to the cd I would replace it because it is one of the best records I have heard in a long time. Great job Jack and Meg! // 10

More White Stripes reviews rating latest review