Get Behind Me Satan Review

white stripes: Get Behind Me Satan
Released: Jun 7, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Blues-Rock
Get Behind Me Satan may confuse and even push away some White Stripes fans, but the more the band pushes itself, the better.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.7
 8.3
Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: joshsirjoshules, on june 23, 2005

Sound: This is not your typical electric guitar/primal drums-based garage rock that we would expect from our favorite lo-fi duo, The White Stripes. Get Behind Me Satan displays The White Stripes in a completely different sound than what we are used to from them, providing nice chill out music that are more than just electric guitar based songs, which there are only really two on the album. A couple of piano based songs are on the record such as (my favorite song on the album) "My Doorbell" and "The Denial Twist." There are also a couple songs where the acoustic guitar is lead such as "Little Ghost" and "As Ugly As I Seem" and a couple of songs featuring (clears throat) marimbas such as "The Nurse" and "Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)." But fear not, White Stripes fans will also find the usual garage rock on this record such as "Blue Orchid," "Red Rain," and "Instinct Blues." // 8

Lyrics: This record, I think, shows the same side of Jack White that we have always known: the pure genius side. Although there are some poppier lyrics on this record, Jack doesn't stray far from his normal roots. His voice is also a bit higher on this album then on past albums. // 10

Overall Impression: It took me a while to get used to the sound of this album, so it is somewhat of an acquired taste. I think this album is serves a purpose similar to Nirvana's "In Utero" which, at the time, was meant to seperate the real Nirvana fans from the posers who only wanted "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Get Behind Me Satan is meant to seperate the true White Stripes fans from people who only want "Seven Nation Army." This album is definitely worth your time and money. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: wingeddevil37, on june 09, 2005

Sound: Jack always talked about forcing himself to stay within the self proclaimed boundries, to fully explore what he could do with as little as possible. On this record though, I think he might have cheated a bit. Not a bad thing. The Stripes are as minimalistic as ever, they've just changed the sound a bit. Jack expands the use of his whammy on the few electic tracks, with the octave harmonies. The acoustic tracks are catchy and brilliant as they always are. The mariba adds a great feel to the tracks its used on. Not to mention the timpani and the bells as played by Meg. Sound has always been the most amazing part about the Stripes and they haven't failed to deliver again. // 10

Lyrics: I've heard this said before, and I'll have to agree, I would kill for Jack's voice. His range is huge and his operatic wails make you jump. Just like the old days, he stays in his highest range. Jacks lyrics are always singable. They're songs you catch yourself singing even if you dont like the Stripes. One of my favorite parts though, is on the track "Take. Take. Take" with the stereo recording technique. He sings the same track twice and overlaps them, of course it's not sung exactly the same, so hearing the two voices really cool. And though some may not like his attempts at a country voice, I would have to say it gives the songs that much more character. Hearing Jacks voice crack those few times, always makes me smile. // 10

Overall Impression: I've voice the most of my opinion in the above, but to I'll say a little more. This record is the perfect addition to the previous 4. I'd have to say that each of the Stripes records is pretty different, but with qualities that make them all White Stripes albums. The first an extremely raw rock/blues, "De Stijl" heavy on the blues side, "White Blood Cells" solid Stripes rock, "Elephant" rock/blues heavy on the rock, and this one is different but I havent quite decided how to explain it. Buy it and experience it yourself. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: tnnspro225, on june 11, 2005

Sound: With each successive album, the Detroit duo seem to be expanding their sound into different directions, but they are always some form of American music. While the previous albums have centered mainly on southern blues, rock, and a litle country, GBMS shows that the Stripes are a one-of-a-kind American band, from the piano R&B of My Doorbell and the bluegrass of Little Ghost to the anthematic Take, Take, Take and country-western of I'm Lonely. The most bizarre song, The Nurse, definitely takes some getting used to, but the marimba lead and the sporadic spurts of electric guitar are unlike anything on any other record by any other band. What amazes me most about this record is the Whites' apparent rejection of rock conventions while paradoxically making a collection of music inspired by American musical tradition. // 10

Lyrics: What attracts me most to the White Stripes is that while they play a wide range of musical sounds (see above) on this album and their others, their lyrics somehow always stay the same. And I mean this in a completely positive way. On GBMS, Jack never leaves his major themes of love, childhood, God, and self-doubt, but he drives deeper into them. The opening song, Blue Orchid, features a falsetto Jack (don't worry traditional-Stripers, he returns to his nasal-driven voice that we all know and love soon by track 2) reprimanding Satan, and it resonates well. Many of the songs on this album focus on Jack looking at himself, and he does so pretty objectively, as evident on As Ugly As I Seem. His attempt at a country voice on Little Ghost and I'm Lonely works beautifully (I should know, I'm a southerner) as well. The references to Rita Hayward on Take, Take, Take evoke images of a young man enthralled with the seemingly monolithic status of a cultural legend, from a time period which Jack White seems to wish he were from. The weakest track, Passive Manipulation, is a thirty-five second command for women to take charge sung by Meg White, whose vocal skills are lacking but strangely make sense in the medium. The song's brevity and quick lead into the next track characterizes nearly every song on this album: good by itself, but excellent when listened to in sequence as a complete album. Best song lyrically is, without a doubt, As Ugly As I Seem. // 10

Overall Impression: The most important thing to remember about Get Behind Me Satan is that it is meant to be an album, not a collection of songs. Listen to it several times before you make judgments, because it definitely grows on you. It is the unlikely follow-up to the monumental Elephant (one of the greatest rock albums of all time), but it is unfair to say that it is not as good as its predecessor. Each White Stripes album serves its own purpose, independent of the others. The eponymous debut introduced the band's sound; De Stijl pushed the limits of simplicity (as strange as that sounds); White Blood Cells was rooted in lyrical quality; and Elephant was meant to ensure that the White Stripes would earn their place in the pantheon of bands that excel above all others; Get Behind Me Satan expands their sound and allows the minimalist duo to have fun. That's the feeling I got from listening: they like the music they recorded. Standout songs: My Doorbell, As Ugly As I Seem, I'm Lonely (but I Ain't That Lonely Yet). I can't stress enough the importance of listening to this album with an open mind, and I am sure if you enjoy music, you will find this an essential addition to your collection. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: 3l3phant, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Wow, good word to describe the sound on this album, especially if you listened to the old albums by the stripes. Definitely different, drastically different in some cases. And, as is not always the case, change is great. The broken finger must have hindered Jack's playing abilities on the guitar somewhat, because the use of an electric is apparant in only 4 songs out of the 13. 'Satan' shows Jack's emergance as a pianist, on such tracks as "White Moon" and "I'm Lonely." Acoustic guitars sound great on "Little Ghost," which has a country/bluegrass feel to it, and "As Ugly As I Seem," very Dylan-esque. The stripes also employ various auxilary instruments as well, with bells, marimbas, tambourines, and a triangle all making appearances. Very different, considering how on the other albums it was almost exclusively a guitar with drums. Speaking of the drums, what can you say? It's Meg White, and she beats the hell out of her cymbals. // 10

Lyrics: Wow, another opportune time to say that. Jack, in my opinion, has been underated as a lyricist, up until winning that grammy for "Seven Nation Army." And on this album, the brilliance continues. 01. Blue Orchid - fast paced guitar, atmospheric falsetto vocals, and lyrics telling the story of a broken love, a girl who is never satisfied (lyric; 'You were given a flower, but I guess there's just no please in you'), and how Jack wants to move on ('Get behind me get behind me now anyway') 4.5/5. 02. The Nurse - a truly chilling song. Marimba driven, the lyrics touch on paranoia, and how the ones we trust the most could easily kill us ('It's always with trust that the poison is fed with a spoon'). The soft marimabas are cutted through on occasion with a piercing guitar note, or a very creepy piano build. One of the albums highlights. 5/5. 03. My Doorbell - really haven't interpreted this one yet. Not one of my favs, but still alright. It sounds too pop-ish at some points. 3.5/5. 04. Forever For Her - great tune. 'Let's do it, lets hop on a plane and lets do it' shouts Jack as he pleads to his girl to throw away inhibitions. Very well done. 5/5. 05. Little Ghost - country fried goodness, about a man who is going insane, envisioning a ghost who he falls in love with. Jack harmonizes with himself well here. 5/5. 06. The Denial Twist - again, the vocals sound a little too pop-ish, but still an alright song. 4/5. 07. White Moon - nice slow piano ballad, easy listening, haven't really examined the lyrics yet. 4/5. 08. Instinct Blues - raw, gritty, straight blues rock'n'roll here. Amazing song, awesome guitar, with Jack asking why can't understand the things animals understand instinctively (hence the title) My 2nd favorite. 5/5. 09. Passive Manipulation - Meg giving a warning to girls to follow their own dreams instead of want their fathers and brothers want. Shortest stripes song ever. 3/5. 10. Take, Take, Take - another pop-ish song, probably the best out of the three that I called pop-ish. 4.5/5. 11. Ugly As I Seem - great acoustic piece. Jack's voice sounds peaceful with such downers for lyrics. 5/5. 12. Red Rain - best song on the album, I'll let you listen for yourself, cause I could go on forever talking about this one. 5/5. 13. I'm Lonely - another country sounding tuen written on piano. A ballad explaining how Jack gets lonely at times, but remebers the good things, and realizes 'I ain't that lonely yet'. 5/5. // 10

Overall Impression: Hopefully, with the way this album is so unique and unfriendly to casual listeners, this will move The Stripes out of the evils of mainstream and back to the indie scene. If not a fan, if you don't 'get' the band, then you probably won't like this album. However, if you know what good music sounds like, you will love it. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: deadbolt, on june 16, 2005

Sound: I'm a very big 'White Stripes' fan. I own all of their previous CD's and have enjoyed every little bit of them. "Get Behind Me Satan" however, turns me away from them. This CD is completely opposite of what I would consider to be 'White Stripes' material. It's obvious Jack and Meg wanted it to be like this, but why? This is barely garage rock, it's a mix of sounds, the Miraca appears on almost all the tracks. // 4

Lyrics: Well no complaints here. Jack's writing style is still top notch. He is definitely different in his lyric writing. His voice is still the same, nothing weird here. Blue Orchid seemed to be more higer pitched than most of his recordings. // 10

Overall Impression: The other albums are far better (to me anyway). I was hoping that there would be some catchy electric guitar riffs going on here, but no. I hoped to find more classics like Death Letter, Astro, Black Math etc. but came up with nothing. In fact Jack barely uses his electric, almost all the riffs are exactly the same (1 chord being struck as meg bangs the same on the drums, thats it). If this CD was stolen I would be angry I got something stolen, not because they took my 'Get Behind Me' CD. For their fifth album they have taken the band in a completely new direction. This is not the same White Stripes we've known the last couple years. I hope their next CD (if it happens) touches more base with their first 4, because I will be cautious before I pick it up. // 2

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: aphalak, on june 27, 2005

Sound: Where to begin? The sound from Get Behind Me Satan is unlike any record I've ever heard, definitely any of those by the Stripes. But even though it is so different to the WS known and loved by many, it's brilliant. Who but Jack White would put marimba into what is perceived generally bogan rock group? The Nurse is bizarre in its choice of instrumental, but clearly they knew what they were doing - bizarre perhaps, but the result is chilling and thrilling. Rather than sticking to a country feel (their older albums), or one laced with excellent guitar riffs (Elephant), GBMS is a platter from which you can take your pick - Little Ghost a most excellent bluegrass tune, and Blue Orchid a memory of the Elephant and SNA days. The lack of electric guitar on GBMS could be disappointing, if it weren't made up for with plenty of wondorus acoustic and piano. And Meg's drumming will remain forevermore, and hopefully her singing will make further appearances on later records - although Passive Manipulation doesn't quite have the spine-tingle that In the Cold Cold Night (Elephant) had. Still, good to hear her voice around. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are written as only Jack can. The man is a genius. Songs about nurses and maids commiting dastardly deeds to their patients and masters? Brilliance. I use the word freely in this review, but for good cause. Passive manipulation and its incest-related lyrics seem quite appropriate for the ex-husband/wife-cum-brother/sister duo. The rest of the album does not quite leap out so spectacularly, but still, after listening to the CD over and over, there is some seriously good stuff in there. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. There is really no other way to put it. From the opener Blue Orchid, through to closing I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet) there is magic. The different elements make the whole album worth listening to, as it isn't constrained to one genre with the potential to become quickly tiresome. Advised for any fan of the WS, no matter how vague. For that matter, any fan of virtually any rock/country sub-genre will find satisfying material for themelves to sing loudly on the bus, in the shower, etc. And although some of it may not be for everyone, there is definitely something hidden in Jack's ever-so-slightly grating vocals and Meg's characteristic pounding for everyone in there. Highly recommended. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 10, 2005

Sound: Jack and Meg have not changed their style of music but still have added new elements to this album. Jack has improved the stripes by using pop to attract more fans which songs include My Doorbell, Forever Be Free and The Denial Twist which in my opinion sounds great. Jack seems to regain his higher pitched voice which he uses in the chourus of Red Rain and in Blue Orchid. Meg needs to improve after a not so good Pain Manipulation. Her vocals are terrible and that song sounds very effortless. Jack's Guitar skills is the only positive in the album plus his piano riffs in My Doorbell. My fav songs are Forever For Her, Red Rain and Instinct Blues due to the blues guitaring in Instinct Blues the garage guitaring in Red Rain and the lyrics of Forever For Her wins me over. Jack is the only inspiration in the album but Meg will face a lot of critisim due to her efortless druming. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics really are touching, meaningful and catchy. Jack sings them in the style of the song and his high pitched voice in Blue Orchid were fantastic. And in Red Rain were the rise and fall it really is smart work by Jack. The Forever For Her song really touches me due to its a pop and a love song and this song in my opinion will win The Stripes some new fans due to the meaning. // 8

Overall Impression: Well this album does compare with the album of The Stripes like White Blooded Cells and Elephant but to make Get Behind Me Satan really succsesful it will require a good song that compares with the two albums I introduced. On White Blooded Cells there is Hotel Yorba and on Elephant there is Seven Nation Army which have a good rhythym but The Stripes need to have released at least three good songs to win over the other albums. The most impressive songs on Satan is Blue Orchid due to its quick and catchy guitar riff, The Nurse due to its distinctiveness and the meaning, My Doorbell due to its facinating piano riff and a catchy chorus, Forever For Her due to the elements of different instruments and its meaning, Instinct Blues due to its guitaring by Jack and Red Rain due to the rock and alternitive guitaring. Very impressive album. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2005

Sound: Well, I have to say, the Stripes' sound has changed somewhat in this album. It has a greater amount of Indie and Blues put into it. It has also had less of the harder rock feel than in, say, Elephant. Meg has a song of her own again, Passive Manipulation, which is alright if you're female because to boys, it seems like a load of rubbish (no offence to Meg) but, the rest has an alright mixture of genres! // 9

Lyrics: It's hard to explain the lyrics, really. They're pretty easy to understand in Take Take Take, whereas in White Moon, they need to be thought about a bit. But, there's great philosophy in it. Alright. That's all I can think of. // 9

Overall Impression: It's not the best they've ever done, but it's a great buy! Fun to listen to, I'd definitely recommend it. The best song for me is probably Blue Orchid, and I'm not so good Passive Manipulation but its fantastic. // 9

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: monkeroony, on june 08, 2005

Sound: Great sound, expanding on the blues formula that has made them popular and moving back to their country/folk routes. Acoustic songs with occasions of pounding drum and guitar to blues songs like Ball And A Biscuit, I think you'll be impressed. Only three tracks on this album features electric guitar the other ten are acoustic, piano, keyboard and marimbo. I personally think that the album benefits from this greatly, this makes the album alot more diverse and interesting from their other albums. // 10

Lyrics: Back to the high voice of De Stijl and Red Blood Cells. Great! A rather disturbing song by Meg White moving back into the world of incest that is synonimous with this band 'Women, you need to know the difference between a father and a lover.' Lyrics are very clever and interesting, from the repeated use of the words 'get with it' in each stanza of insticnt blues to the almost rapping on 'My Doorbell' and whispering on 'The Nurse' make these lyrics the best yet. // 10

Overall Impression: Takes a listen through once to absorb the variety of the songs, but I guarantee you will want to listen to it again. There's not a band song in the whole bunch, excellent! // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Sound: Most music buffs out there would agree that Jack White is one of the greatest guitarists of his generation, and I would have to say within the top 20 or so of all time that I have ever heard. His simple, yet innovative licks and terrific use of distortion are the reason I dig this group so much. That said, when I first listened to this album, I was disappointed. I sampled each song and proceeded to cock my head like a dog hearing a high pitched noise, I didn't get it. In my frustration, I took it home and listened from beginning to end, and I have listened to nothing since. Once my expectations were out of the way, I saw this album for what it is diverse/exceptional/downright f--ing groovy! Once again, the Stripes use only the bare minimum technology and produce a real gem. // 10

Lyrics: It usually takes me a few times through an album before I can fully digest the lyrical content, but to make it short and sweet, this is certainly their most mature effort yet. Jack's lyrics seem to poke fun at himself in new interesting ways. These songs have an air of latent emotions, kicked off in "The Nurse" and accentuated by "As Ugly As I Seem" (the best lyrics on the album). He seems to enjoy making fun of himself as well as everyone else. The problem is the consistency. Some songs just don't have much to offer lyrically, although they make up for it instrumentally. I'm also not sure about the arrangement, seems to me it could have flowed better. // 8

Overall Impression: These cats just never cease to amaze me. Their versatility is wonderfully explored in this album. A little feel of bluegrass in "Little Ghost" (I still can't help laughing when I hear it), the folk sound of "As Ugly As I Seem" (in my opinion, a classic), stylish blues/rock on "Instinct Blues" and "Take, Take, Take", and the good old fashioned cherry-bomb rock I love the Stripes for in "Blue Orchid." Like I said before, I wasn't too sure about this album at first but it only took the second time through for it to grow on me, and has kept growing every time since. My only disappointment was that I would have liked to hear a little more of Jack's guitar which is his strongest asset. When it comes to use of distortion and clarity, he is almost on the same level as Hendrix and I just love to hear what he will come up with next. Overall though, I can't say this is better than their other albums, but it certainly is an equal. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Remember the Strpes's second album "De Stijl"? Well, if you do, then you'll have something to ease you into this one. "Get Behind Me Satan" is something different from every other White Stripes album you've ever heard. The sound is eclectic, but simple. There is nothing here that will seem familiar except for maybe "Blue Orchid." Overall though, the sound is great, though a few songs are a bit too off center for my tastes, everyone will find something to like on this album. On the flipside though, almost everyone will find something they don't. I think it might be the connection but think of "Get Behind Me Satan" as The Stripes's Beck album. Where Beck mixed hip hop with everything, The Stripes mix garage rock with everything. Country, blues, whatever, it's there. Still, it makes this album the same kind of electic as before, but it's still a great album. // 8

Lyrics: Just like the sound, it is simple, to the point, and there are no frills except for Jack's voice. Jack knows how to use his voice and coming out of his mouth they sound like he got them perfect. And that's all that matters isn't it? // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great album, but it's not a great album for everyone. You will find a song that you love and you may find that you love the whole thing. "Get Behind Me Satan" will grow on you in 2 ways. The songs you like, you will grow to love but the ones you don't you may grow to hate (my peave was/is "The Nurse). Neverless, it's still great and deserves your dollars. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: crazychimps, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Jack White is probably one of the greatest guitarists and songwriters of this generation, a fact that this album backs up. He really proves himself as an all round musician using piano, acoustic guitar, and even marimba on most of the tracks. These tracks are fantasticly innovative, but dont worry, old Stripes fans won't be dissapointed because there are several fantastic guitar tracks featring White's creative blues work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic on this album, White's voice can adapt to many musical styles, and his lyrics suit them all perfectly. Some lyrical highlights include his falsetto on "Blue Orchid," and his amusing blues drawl on "Instinct Blues." Meg White also sings on one track, "Passive Manipulation," but her voice dosen't help the sound much, and the lyrics on this track aren't great. // 8

Overall Impression: This album, although a shock at first, will no doubt become a white stripes classic. Although some may say that they have drifted from the blues rock sound that made them popular, this will not affect them badly, and if anything, it will increase their popularity. Led Zeppelin III never harmed Jimmy Page, and in the same way, I beleive this diverse and original work will give Jack White more credibility. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: I was also a bit dissapointed at first not hearing the catchy guitar riffs. I myself, am a guitarist, and love what jack does with his guitar. But the piano fits this album! Also, now when you go see them live they will be able to switch things up quite a bit, and not just be guitar and drums (wonder who's gonna play tamberine?) I'll do it. // 10

Lyrics: Jack seems to sing a little different on this album. A little more high pitched. I honestly love the lyrics, expecially "Take, Take, Take" which seems to be written by jack in a "fan" sort of view. Nobody takes lyrics in the same way, so just check them out for yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't stop listening to this CD! It grows on you like a fungus underwater. Jack and Meg continue to write great music, and stay true to themselves and their music. Can't wait for more WS albums, and see what direction they're going to go in next. Congrats on Jack for getting married! Wonder if that will change his writing style? // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2005

Sound: The reason I love this album so much is because of its ability to create a perfect balence between, the old beautiful blues and this new but equaly brilliant sound the Stripes have discovered. It also is a great showcase for Jack's ability as not only one of the most amazing guirtarists to grace this earth, but simply as an all round musision and for Meg to continue to shine with her beautifly instintive drum beats. // 10

Lyrics: The lyricing in Get Behind Me Satin also shines; I personly feel that this album far outshines the rest in this respect, with only really White Bl00d Cells as a contender. Just to mention a few: Insinct Blues - fantastic lyrics, they really propell this track along. The Nurse - now this, I'm sorry, was fantastic. Even without the lyrics this song is chilling and compelling, with them you get this fantastic sence of paranoia and distrust, amazing. My Doorbell - also fantastic - particually the line "I don't need any of your pity I've got plenty of my own friends now, their all above me." And the sunnden change after from "When you gonna ring it?" to "When they gonna ring it?" // 10

Overall Impression: With all the terrible reviews this album has recieved I was more than a little aprehensive as I pressed the play button for the very first time. How misplaced this aprehension was. Get Behind Me Satan was in one word Genious. It proved that the Stripes certainly haven't peaked yet. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: When I first saw the reviews for Get Behind Me Satan, they were much worse than I was expecting. However, matching the musical diety of Elephant is no easy task. Jack's marimba is not my favorite part of the album, but it adds nice flavor and a different twist to the White Stripes. He adds fabulous guitar work on "As Ugly As I Seem" and catchy piano riffs on "Denial Twist," "Take, Take Take," and "My Doorbell." Althought these have been referred to as "pop-ish," I consider "Denial Twist" my favorite song on the album. It is much different than the grungey guitar riffs and heavy blues. Don't get me wrong, I love the blues, but Get Behind Me Satan was sort of a break from all that. // 8

Lyrics: I absolutely loved Jack's song writing on Satan. However, I believe that the lyrics on Elephant were far more superior than the ones on Satan. Jack used lyrics seemed to fit the tempo and mood of the song perfectley in Satan. His voice is better than ever, however, I didn't like the singing on Passive Manipulation and on Blue Orchid. These really put a damper on the album for me, and put a sour taste in my mouth. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I enjoyed Get Behind me Satan. As a sabatacle from the normal Stripes, they have taken the road less traveled and still manage to keep fans devoted. Witty songwriting and incredible song structure are the backbone of this album. // 8

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2005

Sound: I have never before heard the White Stripes show this kind of virtuosity in playing. The songs are so tight sounding with subtle pianos in the background or bass lines that double main pianos, truly ingenious. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Get Behind Me Satan are far to straight forward for my liking, but on songs like Red Rain and Blue Orchid the music and lyrics blend so well it dosent even matter. This is the simpilist CD the White Stripes have created yet lyrically. // 8

Overall Impression: I like the overall direction the Stripes are going, but they seem to be loosing some of the lyrical genious that they once had. Overall this is another awesome by the Stripes. I can't wait for their next one. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: GiCr, on november 01, 2005

Sound: This is definetly the best sounding White Stripes album. Though, I think some fans will be dissapointed with it. It contains very little of the tipical Stripes' garage rock (songs like Blue Orchid, Instinct Blues, Red Rain). This album is very experimental; Jack White introduces some new components to the sound such as marimba (a great instrument; I also play it), bass, pop tunes etc. In my opinion, this is the best possible musical path WS could have taken after the huge success of their 4th album Elephant. They are growing up, they sound more mature and they are eager to put their music on a higher, more professional level. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are truly amazing. Jack shows his full potential as a songwriter. He uses few words to say much. There are a lot of hidden meanings in his songs. Lyrically, the best songs are Little Ghost, White Moon and The Denial Twist. I find Passive Manipulation (the shortest song on the album) also quite interesting. Meg sings this one with her effortless and childish voice which is perfect because the words are kind of disturbing. The best lyrics Jack has written so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album. I'm glad that the Stripes have made a necessary step forward in their career (compared to Elephant), highlighting their name in rock history. I strongly reccommend this album, not only to WS fans, but also to all true rock fans out there. Just be patient when listening, you won't be dissapointed. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: fleaslapking:), on november 30, 2005

Sound: This album is completely different from the White Stripes last album Elephant (which, by the way is awsome). The first song is the first release Blue Orchid. This song is very different to the rest of the album so do not buy it if you want a rock album. I find the style of the album hard to describe but I will give it a go. It is different. Very different. Many more instruments are used instead of the normal guitar, drumbs and bass. a xylophone, piano and many more instruments are used throughout the album, which makes it totally different to anything I have heard in a long time. Despite being a rocker myself I can still apreciate this album as a masterpiece by Mr White and hope they continue it because it is fun and funny. // 9

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics of the album are whitty and I find myself chuckeling to them while I listen. In one of the songs, Jack sings 'Take back what you said little girl, and while you're at it take yourself back too'. This is a typical example of the genius of many of the lyrics. Jack has fused them together with the music to create a superbly wonderful masterpiece of an album. the song Little ghost is one of the best lyrical songs as it takes an idea of a boy abd a ghost, then turns it on its head by making it into a love story. // 10

Overall Impression: Many people have said Jack White is a master of easy riffs and that he is tallentless. In this album he showed every single person who said or thought that he isnt as bad as people think. in fact I would say that he is very tallented, and if you don't believe me, buy the album and find out yourself. You won't believe you ears. It is very hard to compare this album with any other stripes album as it is such a change to their usual style. // 9

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: imadehimexplode, on december 01, 2005

Sound: For anyone with some previous experience with the White Stripes' music, it will become immediately apparent that this is not your bog standard White Stripe CD. Though it was admittedly not what I was expecting, each track got me more and more hyped. The White Stripes use a variety of new instruments, including xylophone (The Nurse), much more piano than in previous albums (My Doorbell, Denial Twist, etc) and banjo (Little Ghost) which makes for a wonderfully varied and experimental CD. Jack has also appeared to play with the recording and sound of many of the songs; most apparent in Take, Take, Take, where Jack layers and staggers his voice to great effect. We also have Jack's unique voice, though he has made it a little higher, to boot. The sound in this album may be a little wackier than the others, but this is by no means a bad thing, and made for an incredible end result. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album were particularly striking. Jack created some truly epic lines, my personal favorite being 'If you think holding hands is all in the fingers, Grab hold of the soul where the memory lingers' - Denial Twist. Just full, well rounded, coherent, flowing lyrics throughout really. Good solid choruses support well developed verses, to create what have to be, in my opinion, some of Jack's stronger works. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, this is not a classic White Stripes album, and definitely displays the true extent of Jack's abilities. Coupled with Megs faithful drum banging, which is extended to some tambourine and maraca work, it certainly holds its own against the other classic Stripes albums. My all time favorite songs from this CD are Denial Twist, for the very real theme and mind-blowing lyrics, The Nurse, the first time I heard it I laughed through it solidly, which may not have been the idea, but I just loved the disjointed guitar parts, and Jack's slightly ominous vocals, and Ugly as I Seem, for it's gorgeous guitar, and slightly Zepplin-ish sound. If I could change anything about this CD, I would have liked to hear some of Jack's powerful catchy guitar rifts. However, I accept that this was not the point of this album, and so can live with their absences. As for whether I would buy this CD again if I lost it, I listened to it for several days straight, in my rather dubious CD player, which ended up scratching it, so I have actually already bought another copy. Money well spent in my opinion. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2005

Sound: It combines a sort of empty intense sound with quirky sounding lyrics and a distinct low base line beat. The family band have moved on to a more grown up and interesting style of music involving more piano music. The songs are all jazzy and up tempo. A great sound. Very pleasing to the ears. They have acoustic, rocky and jazzy rolled in to one. What more d'ya need! // 9

Lyrics: Jack doesn't have the most amazing singing voice but he has a very unique and enthralling style. The lyrics and music compliment eachother perfectly; mixing Meg's cool low beats with Jack's energetic and slightly crazy style. Interesting and different songs feature throughout, rock on! // 9

Overall Impression: It is a big emprovement on the Ok elephant in 2003. The white stripes have matured into a well known and majorly influencal band. They proved all you need is two instruments a dream and a pinch of talent! That corny enough for you? White Stripe's Get Behind Me Satan is a must by for White Stripes veterans and good music lovers alike! If it were stolen from me I'd by 10 more copies to stop it happening again! I love every aspect. // 9

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: haza, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The sound for this album is excellent. You can hear each instrument really well. The sound is defenately different to all of the previous White Stripes albums as they have tried something new with this album, in the sense that, first of the instruments used by Jack White are not your usual electric distorted guitar, but piano, banjo and more acoustic sounds, which I think he pulls of extremly well. // 10

Lyrics: Jack's voice once again is outstanding on this album. And again he has tried something new, by in songs such as Blue Orchid going slightly higher. The lyrics are very well written and can stick in your head for days. // 10

Overall Impression: On the first day I got this album, it was nothing at all that I expected. I was expecting distorted guitars, heavy drums and etc... but that wasnt to be. My favourite songs on this great album are probably Blue Orchid, Take, Take, Take, My Doorbell, Denial Twist and Instinct Blues. This album defenatly grows on you the second listning and is well worth your money. If this album was to get stolen I would buy it again straight away. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: Geek_Aus, on january 09, 2006

Sound: The White Stripes' music on this album is very raw and simple. They don't complicate their sound, and always sound as though their songs just come naturally to them. I think their music would fit into the catergory of alternative pop rock. The instruments they use are electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drums, piano, triangle, bells, marimba, tambourine and vocals. My favourite songs musically are 'Blue Orchid' and 'Red Rain' (I love the triangle on it). // 10

Lyrics: My favourite songs lyrically are 'I'm Lonley (But I Aint That Lonley Yet),' 'Red Rain' and 'Blue Orchid'. Jack's voice goes well with the music, and the lyrics fit the songs perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: My favourite songs off Get Behind Me Satan are 'Blue Orchid,' 'Red Rain' and 'My Doorbell.' I cannot compare this album to any other, because it is unlike any band that I have heard before, and I also do not own copies of their previous albums. // 10

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2006

Sound: I'm new to the world of the White Stripes (only hearing of a couple songs here and there on radio and TV). Get Behind Me Satan was quite an interesting introduction compared to what little of them I had already heard. This CD is laid back (not the type of music I'm known to listen to), catchy (good few songs to work to), but takes a couple plays to get used to (some of the songs are a bit creepy). There were some effective methods to making some ordinary songs into something quite effective. Like in "Little Ghost." You are put into a what the hell moment when you hear what seems to be a banjo. Quite an inventive and amusing album compared to a lot of the hard rock/garage scene. // 8

Lyrics: Great lyrics, even if the way some of them are presented catch me as sorta creepy. "Take Take Take" presents Jack White singing the same song twice. He has a good voice, so I say double the pleasure. He does well in the much faster song "The Denial Twist" also. This album is filled with impressive lyrics from start to end. Some songs are given and almost country style. Though most of the rest are blues and alternative all the way through. // 9

Overall Impression: It compares well in it's own unique way. It's not what you hear on your everyday rock radio station. The Denial Twist was my favorite track. Has good beat to it, and can be listened to over and over. Other recomendations "Blue Orchid" (for just giving off a creepy vibe), and "Little Ghost" (for just amusing the hell out of me). I just like this album for being creative and new. Though it is nothing like I was expecitng so there was a bit of a drawback. Not For someone wanting something fast and loud. Well, if it were stolen I probably would buy an earlier White Stripes album since I would already have this one saved to my pc/mp3 player. Just thinking 10 steps ahead. I'll recommend this, but not to any average metal-head. // 8

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2006

Sound: To start I havn't heard any of The White Stripes other work, so I can't really compare to that, and I'm a '60s and '70s nut (I'm 16 if any one cares) so no I've never heard 7-Nation Army. My first impression of this album was that it was garbage. I liked "Denial Twist" but that was about it. Recently though, I've been listening to the album in its entirety a lot and its really grown on me."Little Ghost" and "The Nurse" are very strange compared to the stuff most people listen to, and "The Nurse" is very similar to "Forever For Her" in design which makes the jist of the first half of the cd weird to listen to. The second half is much easier to get into, featuring some routine Stripes(from what I've heard) in "Instinct Blues" and "Red Rain" as well as Jacks Acoustic masterpiece "As Ugly As I Seem." The mix of Blues and good old Rock are nice, and even though I think country music is garbage, the stuff on here is certainly worth the listen. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome, love stories, heartbreak, inner turmoil, all great stuff, besides, I'd much rather here about what Jack has to say than anyone else in modern rock. Jacks voice is great also, it covers a fairly broad range of techniques (listen to "Blue Orchid" then "Little Ghost" then "My Doorbell") I love hearing it crack, it keeps the music human. Also Meg sings on here, and she's alright, though since she's only singing one song for about 30 secs so I'm not gonna dock points. // 10

Overall Impression: The White Stripes are individuals, and in the '00s thats a good thing to hear. The best songs on here would probably be: "My Doorbell" because of its catchyness factor, and "As Ugly As I Seem" for being a great piece, both lyrically and musically. Other than that, I think "White Moon" deserves a second listen, though all of the tracks are solid. Here's some advice: Start at "The Denial Twist" and work your way to the end of the CD, it makes a much better impression than just starting with all the experimental material (which they put at the front of the cd for some reason). If it were stolen I'd be off to the music store. // 8

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: xZEROx, on april 18, 2006

Sound: The White Stripes are one of the best examples of modern developing music. Using only one guitar and a very basic drum beat, the band is able to make amazing songs. Unfortunatly they made a huge mistake with the songs they made on this album (Get Behind Me Satan) which in my opinion is a down step from their last album Elephant (more like jumping off a cliff than a down step). I have to give them credit for the one good song on the album which is "Blue Orchid" which shows that they can still do something. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are absolulty the worst part of this album. The poetic mind of Jack White was clearly on vacation during the writing of this album. It seems threw out most of the songs he is just babbling on about nothing at all, and is just saying things because they ryhme. Sorry if you can make sence of this but personally it just seems like a whole bunch of broken ideas comming from no where (and if you want another examples of bad lyrics, take any verse from song 2 to 13). // 3

Overall Impression: I really liked the White Stripes up till this album, and I hope they get back on track with songs like "The Air Between My Fingers," "Seven Nation Army" and "Dead Leaves And Dirty Ground" but this album is not worth the money or the time of day to listen to(buy "Blue Orchid" as a single or something). I got a free White Stripes CD for anyone who wants it. // 3

Get Behind Me Satan Reviewed by: Harmonystrat, on july 07, 2007

Sound: This album departed from the guitar driven garage rock to a piano heavy album. The band still keeps the White Stripes vibe and actually puts out a strong album. Many people think that Jack White decided just to put a lot of piano on the album. But it only shows up frequentley because he had a piano in his living room and wrote a lot on it. This album goes from the guitar heavy rock with "Blue Orchid" and "Instinct Blues" to songs with marimba, piano and zylaphone (misspelled) like "The Nurse" and the "The Denial Twist". The songs "White Moon" and "The Nurse" were probably the low points of the album. // 7

Lyrics: Jacks lyrics are always intresting even though sometimes hard to interpret. But it's always fun to try to figure out what he means by them and for some reason it never becomes frustrating. The lyrics fit almost every song good "My Doorbell", "Little Ghost" and "I'm lonely (but I aint that lonely yet" mix the music and lyrics pefectley together. I think his skills as a singer are good but take some getting used to kinda like geddy lee of rush. But there always solid and the song passive manipulation sang by meg white is strangely intriguing. // 9

Overall Impression: This album stands up to all there albums besides elephant and maybe icky thump it really depends what kinda mood your in. "My Doorbell," "The Denial Twist" 'Forever for her (Is over For Me" and "Blue Orchid" are the high points of this 13 song record. I loved how they departed from there straight garage rock but still retained the white stripes vibe while also making a very solid album. There wasn't really anything to hate about this album except if you bought it unknowing it wasn't like there other records. I would buy this album again if it was lost or stolen. // 8

More White Stripes reviews rating latest review