Walking With A Ghost [EP] Review

white stripes: Walking With A Ghost [EP]
Release Date: Dec 6, 2005
Label: V2
Genres: Indie Rock, Garage Rock Revival
The Walking With A Ghost EP turns out to be quite a little gem for White Stripes fans.
 Lyrics: 7.7
 7.9
 7.3
 8.4
Walking With A Ghost [EP] Reviewed by: nineinch9, on december 06, 2005

Sound: I'm not sure why Jack and Meg thought that this needed to be done, but I'm sure glad they did. The Walking With A Ghost EP turns out to be quite a little gem for White Stripes fans, except that's about where it stops, as White Stripes haters will have more reasons why they should hate them to chew on. In either case, with the song in question, they stay pretty true to the original from Tegan and Sarah, just basically switching to that White Stripes tone that everyone knows and loves. The nice surprise comes in the live takes. Same Boy You've Always Known and As Ugly As I Seem are really well done, it's hard to tell if they're even live tracks or not. The Denial Twist, kinda seems like the add-on just cause it's their new single, is still really nice and captures that energy that the White Stripes do so well live. Screwdriver's the same, except with Passive Manipulation from Get Behing Me Satan jammed in the middle for good measure, a really good pace change to flip tracks mid song and come back. I've always loved the sound and the energy the White Stripes produce and this EP does a good job capturing it, and Walking With A Ghost ain't bad either. // 8

Lyrics: You already know what to expect. They didn't change anything from Walking With A Ghost or their live takes. If you're not a White Stripes fan and don't know what to expect, well you probably won't want to listen to this in the first place, but if you care to see the light, expect some of the smartest lyrics ever. Jack has a gift for writing lyrics, wether they be very serious and literal or sound like an 8 year olds poem, he can twist them to go with whatever he's playing and kick your ass with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm usually not sold on EP's unless they really got something to offer, and this one does. Definetly a good idea to do this rather then sell the tracks off to iTunes or stretch out past what it's worth with more tracks or a full blown album. The only thing I could complain about is that even though the Walking With A Ghost track is well done, Jack and Meg can't quite manage to pull off a Johnny Cash, where they really own the song and keep it for their own. After that it's really cool to hear some live takes from the get Behind Me Satan album that aren't obviously on their DVD. Overall, it's definetly really well done and worth 19 minutes of your time on a regular bases. // 8

Walking With A Ghost [EP] Reviewed by: shugo449, on december 26, 2005

Sound: This EP is a great one, with inclussion of a great new song, Walking With A Ghost. It only has a few simple riffs and licks, but, it fully delivers what you expect from the White Stripes - lots of distortion, simple; repeating lyrics, catchy riffs and licks, and, of course, Jack's high pitched singing voice. // 9

Lyrics: This EP has, as I've said a lot of screaming and high notes from Jack's voice. As for what he is saying, he pretty much only used about ten different words (I was walking with a ghost, I said please, please don't exist). The lyrics all flow very well with the song, and seem to go well with the guitar and drum pieces also. The White Stripes have always talked with their music, with heavy chords and lots of distortion, loud and proud. // 7

Overall Impression: Take this EP and compare it to Get Behind Me Satan. This EP has a lot more distortion and far better musical pieces, as where My Doorbell is almost a pop style Jackson-Five song. I love this EP, and I recomend you purchase it. Uncle Sam wants you to. // 10

Walking With A Ghost [EP] Reviewed by: FrenchyFungus, on december 07, 2005

Sound: The title track is pretty bad in my opinion, it sounds exactly like all those new indie bands that I just can't stand (Arctic Monkeys, Hard Fi etc). The tone from the guitar is just awful, although the riff itself is quite good. The live songs, however, are worthwhile downloading. The Strpes are awesome live, and this should inspire peole to buy their DVD. The live tracks are almost entirely from the new album though, so if you don't like it, you could just be disappointed again. // 4

Lyrics: Same sort of thing you'll find on any of heir records: genius. Jack is fantastic on the live songs. Owever, for the first time in my life, his voice annoyed me on 'walking with the ghost', just seemed like he was trying too hard on some lines. When Meg takes to the mic for 'passive manipulation' it sounds infinitely better than the record version, which until now was the only stripes song I didn't like. // 8

Overall Impression: The main song is just pathetic, but the live versions are definitely worth getting, especially screwdriver. Wouldn't buy this again if it got lost, in fact, I may chuck it in the bin once the live songs are on my computer. // 4

More White Stripes reviews rating latest review