La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 Review

white zombie: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1
Released: Mar 17, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
On La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1, Zombie and co. take listeners on a hokey carnival ride capable of inducing vomit yet provide an exhilarating, heart-throbbing metal experience.
 9.4
 9.8
La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 Reviewed by: Mantiscabinet, on april 05, 2005

Sound: I bought this album after listening to "Welcome To Planet Motherf--ker" and "Thunderkiss '65", and I was a little uneasy. I found that this was a great CD. The guitar, although quite rhythmic at times, pulled some solos off in good fashion. The drums were quite steady (almost boring) however, he integrated his drums, adding effects to the guitar (just made it sound better, plus the triple kicks on Black Sunshine were superb). The bass delivered, and Rob Zombie was definitely a genius, adding almost a rap like sound, with some samples and such, and delivering out the songs with almost a thrash/death metal-like croak. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were quite odd. Black Sunshine was quite a decent lyrical performance, but other than that, some didn't really make sense at all. I believe Rob Zombie was trying to do this, but I'm not sure. However, with his weird vocals coming in, 2 wrongs seemed to make a right. It flowed perfectly with the songs, but for the fact that they weren't lyrics, so much as random rhyming words, especially Thunderkiss '65, and Welcome To Planet Motherf--ker, I'd score it only a 4/5. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is quite possibly a cornerstone in nu-metal, not so much am I of that fan base, but the sheer pioneering of it, is amazing. It's not so much the lyrics and instrumental that make the CD, but the sheer brilliance of it, that made it worth it to listen. The songs also don't all sound the same. Although some are quite quick, songs like Warp Asylum, Starface and I am Legend, are fairly slow, but just, if not more, creepy than the quick ones. This is a great album, and if it were stolen, I would go to the store and get a new one, and if it was sold out, I'd order it, and wait the extra two weeks. // 10

La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 Reviewed by: larry jones, on november 22, 2006

Sound: The overall sound behind White Zombie can be described as "controlled chaos". From the dizzying guitar of Jay Noel Yuenger to the grinding basslines and heavy drumming, White Zombie's sound is impressively unique amongst its competition. The mindnumbing riffs behind "Thunderkiss '65" and "Black Sunshine" still hold their places in rock history today. In fact, J's guitar solos on "Cosmic Monsters" and "I Am Legend" are equally impressive, yet all too forgotten. While Rob may be the obvious celebrity of the band, J., Sean Ysuelt, and John Tempesta hold up admirably with their respective instruments. // 10

Lyrics: Lead singer and best known band member Rob Zombie Although it is unclear what Rob Zombie is really talking about on songs such as "Thunderkiss '65" and "Soul Crusher", the lyrics are inescapable and incredibly catchy compared to most of the metal artists of the '90s. Rob is harldy a lyrical genius, as his subject matter is relatively the same on every track, basically, zombies, sex, cars, and an overall "concept" for the album (sin). Still, the hooks qualities he produces are remarkable, and the album is a very rewarding listen because of it. // 8

Overall Impression: Sadly, the group lasted just eight years and produced only two significant albums (this being one of them). However, that was enough time to cement these guys into the minds of many metal heads all over the world, as well as to influence numerous metal artists today. This riff heavy headbanger of an album will go down in history as one of the most influencial metal albums of the early '90s. // 10

More White Zombie reviews rating latest review