Whitechapel Review

whitechapel: Whitechapel
Released: June 19, 2012
Genre: Deathcore
Label: Metal Blade
Deathcore super heroes return with their fourth full length self titled masterpiece. This album has set an entirely new standard for Whitechapel's career.
 8.1
 9.1
 7.1
Whitechapel Reviewed by: BwareDWare94, on june 22, 2012

Sound: Evolve - a word that can be used correctly or incorrectly in reference to music. Metallica tried to evolve, but just moved on to a different sound. John Mayer evolved for one album, but has otherwise remained in blues-tinged pop rock neutral. As I Lay Dying evolves by the album. Here we have Whitechapel's self-titled fourth album, and the evolution shown with "A New Era Of Corruption" comes full circle to bring us what is easily Whitechapel's best album. It contains an onslaught of heavy moments intertwined with startling melody and even an anthemic chorus ("Faces"). The speed of "Father Of Lies" is a consistent presence in songs like "Hate Creation" and "(Cult)uralist". In the three guitar assault, I hear wonderful similarities to the epic title track from "The Somatic Defilement". Melodic leads akin to "Reprogrammed To Hate" and "A Future Corrupt" are all over this album. Gone are the incessantly boring and slow riffs of "The Darkest Day Of Man" and "Murder Sermon". Truth be told, this album doesn't even resemble the deathcore that so many love to hate. Simply put, Whitechapel get better by the album, and this new release leaves the rest of their discography in the dust. Last but not least, if none of this has surprised you, the album begins and ends with a wonderful piano line. Even if you don't like standard deathcore, you need to give this album a try. Just don't expect the Whitechapel of past albums. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are straightforward but thought provoking at the same time. They range from topics of rebellion to distaste with society's current state. Phil Bozeman continues to alter his style, leaving his high pitched shrieks in the past in favor of the growl we've all come to love. Spoken word is even used on "Hate Creation" to great affect. Lyrically, Phil has almost always been hit or miss, but the miss moments on this album are few and far between. Vocally, he's been the standard by which deathcore vocalists must be measured, and that surely won't change after this record. Did anybody really expect anything different from deathcore's best front man? // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album has set an entirely new standard for Whitechapel's career, and considering just how boring their first three albums were at times, the lack of snooze moments on this record is refreshing. This is the first Whitechapel album that I can listen to from front to back with no issue and no lulls. New drummer Ben Harclerode has brought extreme technicality to the band, and that's obvious in the drum arrangements on every song. Ben Savage's leads and solos, and even the few guest solos are exceptional and finally add credence to their three guitar lineup. Overall, the exceptional nature of the arrangements on this album have given it the extra boost that Whitechapel has always needed. Quite frankly, I'm more than happy with the purchase of this album and feel as though this band is finally meeting the potential I've always seen in them. // 8

Whitechapel Reviewed by: wbjackson517, on june 22, 2012

Sound: Deathcore super heroes return with their fourth full length self titled masterpiece. This album surpasses "New Era Of Corruption" on every level. For bands that try to get away from the deathcore tag, Whitechapel seem to embrace being a deathcore band. The breakdowns, the bass and drums, and the brutality in Phil's vocals all remind me of another Phil (ahem..Anselmo...Ahem). I was expecting a whole different monster when I received this. I pre-ordered this album with a shirt and I got it three days before the release date. The musicianship coupled with the unbelievable vocals make this album over the top. What Metallica did with "Master Of Puppets", Whitechapel have accomplished with this outing. Don't get me wrong I am not comparing Whitechapel with Metallica. But "Master Of Puppets" is a genre defining piece of work. And I think Whitechapel just upped the ante with this masterpiece. All you Deathcore bands better stand up and take notice. Whitechapel just raised the bar to an almost un-reachable standard. This band reigns supreme in the Deathcore genre. Awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Releasing a self titled album leaves you wondering what, if any, the theme or story Li.e of the album is going to be. Well, the 'Chapel unleashed "Hate Creation" as the first "single". That has set the tone for what was to come. I am so blown away by the songs, the vocals, I mean everything about this album is incredible. To kick things off on the first track "Make It Bleed" has an awesome piano piece that will probably intro the band live for many tours to come. Of course after the intro the opening riff is an instant classic. I will be attempting to learn this riff right away. As far as the lyrics. "Make It Bleed" starts of with a little play on words combining their three previous albums... "We have been Somantically Defiled, Exiled, and This New Era has come to an end." "Hate Creation" is one of the standout tracks on this gem. "Let this be the day that I stop to care and pour my upon this world". My impression of the lyrics is that this band is still pissed off and they write negative music for negative people. Phil's delivery is nothing short of phenomenal, on the fifth track, "Section 8" he opens with... "We are nothing. F**k your lives. I hate everyone Look through the eyes of madman. The skeleton's in your closet have rotted to the bone". Awesome and definitely what you expect from these guys. I am so stoked listening to this! // 10

Overall Impression: There is nothing to compare this album too. It is by far the very best Whitechapel release ever. I have listened to this thing about ten times and I cannot find a bad song on this disc. The production is flawless. The musicianship and vocals are top-notch. My favorite songs I guess are "Hate Creation", "(Cult)uralist", "Dementia" and "Section 8". There really are no weak points but I guess "Devoid" would be the low point because its an instrumental. But it is an awesome instrumental and this album really showcases the three guitar attack. I don't hate anything about this slab of meat. As I stated earlier, I pre ordered it and got a shirt too, and I am glad I took the risk. These guys are THAT deal. If you love deathcore or even death metal, I would advise you go buy it. Love these guys and this is a great next step for the band. Good job guys. Well played. // 10

Whitechapel Reviewed by: TheManvier, on july 06, 2012

Sound: Let's get right down to business. The first song, "Make It Bleed", has a very unsettling and depressing piano intro. After about 30 seconds of that, a sharp guitar riff enters, initiating a very brutal album. The riffs are great, especially on the intro track and the track that comes after, "Hate Creation". However, the production on this album lets me down. The guitars, in my opinion (and I know this is DeathCore but whatever) have too much gain, and sound a bit muddy. When there is no vocals (no offense to the vocalist, it's not his fault), I think the band is great, but with vocals, the mix becomes equal, but in the worst way possible. The death growls put out by Whitechapel frontman Phil Bozeman overpower the rest of the instruments, effectively drowning out the rest of the band. However, the producer seems to have put the vocals in the mix at the same volume as everything else, leaving with some parts of songs that are just constant noise. That's my only real gripe, however. They need to lower down the rest of the instruments if they want the vocals to be at the forefront of the mix. Other than that, these guys go into territory that I haven't really heard them venturing into before. There's many different sounds to engross the listener on this album. In addition to the heavy guitars and furious drums, they also find room for quieter, more experimental sections where they have pianos ("Make It Bleed", "Devoid", "Possibilities Of An Impossible Existence"), sound effects such as a flatline on an EKG ("Section 8"), clean guitar ("Dead Silence", "The Night Remains"), and Spoken Words ("Hate Creation", "The Night Remains"). This album consists of 10 very diverse tracks, each of which is very distinguishable from the next, with some awesome Whitechapel breakdowns, and a ton of variety with this album. At first, it seemed as if this album couldn't tell what it wanted to be, but the more I listened to it, the more I felt a sense of connection between these tracks. Overall, a very good sounding album, my only gripe being the mix (personally I think the vocals should be kept at a constant volume, and have the instrumental get quieter or louder around the vocals). // 9

Lyrics: I really like the singer's voice on this album. On some songs he sounds genuinely p-ssed off ("Make It Bleed", "Faces"), and his cleaner singing is good as well ("I, Dementia"). His vocal skills have improved from the band's last LP, "A New Era Of Corruption". This time around, Phil is much better at death growling and screaming. I can't really understand what he's saying, so I looked up the lyrics, and a lot of them have to do with society and corruption and how the lead singer thinks everyone in society is a mindless sheep following trends. It's fairly interesting but slightly generic as far as DeathCore lyrics go. Overall, though, props to Phil for his vocal skills on this LP, they're fantastic! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this band is growing more and more talented and gaining appreciations for more and more styles of music they wouldn't have dared put on their previous LP's, such as "This Is Exile", while a good album, it lacked variety. Whitechapel's self-titled LP has variety, along with incredible solos, great breakdowns, amazing drumming, and overall good musicianship. Can't wait to hear more! // 9

More Whitechapel reviews rating latest review
+ Our Endless War 5.9 05/19/2014