1987 Review

whitesnake: 1987
Release Date: Apr 7, 1987
Genre: Hard Rock
Label: EMI, Geffen
This album is great so I would maybe like to buy another Whitesnake album.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.8
 9.6
1987 Reviewed by: MaggaraMarine, on april 04, 2011

Sound: 1987 or Whitesnake is a glam metal album which contains Whitesnake's hits Here I Go Again (1987 version), Is This Love and Still Of The Night. It's also got a re-recorded version of Crying in the Rain. The sound of the album is OK. I like the drum sounds which are clear. The sound is overall pretty clear all the time but some times when there's synths and all the guitars playing at the same time the sound is muddy. They use lots of synths in many songs. The album has many great guitar riffs. The guitar solos are awesome. In some songs the guitar solos are too shreddy but they work pretty well. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are about love. They are like "love blablabla... " I don't listen to the lyrics so actively but I know that they are not the best part of the album and I would not suggest this album for those who prefer lyrics to the music itself. The strongest tracks are Still Of The Night, Here I Go Again, Bad Boys And Children Of The Night. The weakest songs are Straight For The Heart, You Gonna Break My Heart Again And Don't Turn Away. Lyrically I like Children of the Night the most. It's got a great rock'n'roll feel: "Are you ready to rock/ Children of the night/ Are you ready to roll/ Children of the night" The lyrics of that song are very catchy. David Coverdale is a great singer. He has a Robert Plant-like voice and you can hear some Led Zeppelin influences on the first track Still Of The Night which is my favorite song on the album. It reminds me of Zeppelin's songs Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my only Whitesnake album so I'm not a Whitesnake fan but I like it very much. There are no songs that I don't like and that's the thing I like the most on this album. The strongest songs are Still Of The Night, Here I Go Again, Bad Boys and Children of the Night and the weakest songs are Straight for the Heart, You Gonna Break My Heart Again and Don't Turn Away as I said before. This album is great so I would maybe like to buy another Whitesnake album. // 10

1987 Reviewed by: Travisl93, on february 15, 2012

Sound: Whitesnake as most people know is fronted by David Coverdale who was Ian Gillan's replaced in Deep Purple on the Mark III-IV line-ups from June 1973 to March 1976. It was to hard edged classic rock sound that Coverdale used as a blue pattern in Whitesnake from when he started the band in 1978 up until 1984's "Slide It In" album. By the time Whitesnake released their self-titled 1987 album (or 1987 as some people call it) fans no longer wanted the 70s style of hard rock and early metal they wanted the music of L.A.'s hair metal scene and that of the Bay Area thrash metal scene here in the US. For a band that never played this style before this album is and will always be a masterpiece whether it's from a musician's or fan's standpoint the true power, energy, and talent in this line-up of Whitesnake brought the heavy riff driven tones of the 70s and mixed it with the good time, party style of the 80s. This album was the first and only "INTERNATIONAl" album featuring former Tygers of Pan Tang and Thin Lizzy guitarist John Sykes. The reason being for international in caps. Is that Sykes played on the US release of '84s "Slide It In", but not on the UK release. Sykes brings in the raw energy Coverdale needed to win over the US audience and create this monster sounding album. This album showed Sykes' best solo work up until this album playing fast, crazy, and blustering guitar solos like on "Give Me All Your Love", "Children Of The Night", and probably the best guitar solo on this album no matter if its the US or European release, the solo on the remake of 1982's "Crying In The Rain". Depending on what version of the album you have it shows Coverdale's softer side with the gigantic hit of the power ballad "Is This Love" and on the European version included the second ballad "Looking For Love" which is one of the best songs on the album starting with a calm, mellow feel growing to an balls out jam by the end with a shredding Sykes end solo. You can't say much more about this album that hasn't already been said whether it's from the huge hits of "Here I Go Again", "Still Of The Night", and "Is This Love" or the not so well known songs like "Bad Boys" and "Straight For The Heart" it has the amazing quality and musicianship that every musician and fan wants to hear from their favorite bands. // 10

Lyrics: This album took David Coverdale vocally where he'd very been before. Listening to him whether it was from the Deep Purple days to every Whitesnake release before this one he always had a hard bluesy tone to his voice rather than the high-ranged, ballsy vocal style on this album. Most of the time no matter if its but in the day or presently vocalist stick with their one vocal style and are afraid to take the risk of seeing what they are fully capable of doing. Coverdale proved to the world he had what it took vocally on this album and delivered 110%. Lyrically it was your normal hard rock/hair metal album of the 80s but with a British twist on it. Instead of the getting laid and getting high and/or drunk and partying like the lyrics of American hair metal bands Whitesnake explored more of the romantic said of things but keeping it sexual enough for the women your best proof of this is in the breakdown on "Still Of The Night" where Coverdale is in the sexual tone you'd be in while performing foreplay with your girlfriend or wife. Lyrically and vocally this album is definitely a winner since most hair metal bands by this time all had singers and lyrics that sounded the same making it had to tell one from the other. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is great and show each person's full potential. If your just getting into this band or expanding your catalog as a Whitesnake fan this album will not disappoint you at all. Hearing "Here I Go Again", "Still Of The Night", and "Is This Love" on the radio still today is great, but there are so many more great songs not played that are on. The only down side about this album is the solo on the remake of "Here I Go Again". Played by Adrian Vandenberg (who would replace Sykes after the release of this album as Sykes went on to form Blue Murder with drummer Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge) that debut in 1989) the solo didn't live up to the rest of the solos provided by John Sykes. The line-up of David Coverdale on vocals, John Sykes on guitar, Neil Murray on bass, Aynsley Dunbar on drums, and Don Airey on keyboards Whitesnake did the impossible creating a perfect album. If you haven't heard or bought this album I STRONGLY suggest you do it won't let you down and be hard rock at it's greatest. // 10

1987 Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on september 02, 2014

Sound: After singer David Coverdale left Deep Purple in the mid-1970s, he formed this band, Whitesnake. Though they are often classified as a hair metal band, they do not fit in well with the likes of Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and such, having much more in common with something like Led Zeppelin, around "Zoso"-period. This is because, while the majority of hair metal bands were focused on sex, drugs, and rock and roll, Whitesnake chose to focus mainly on the theme of romance, sexual or otherwise. And they chose to do so in a style so oddly out of place in the 1980s that it's a miracle this album ever got made. I mean yes, it's power ballads mostly, but it's on a whole different level. // 10

Lyrics: Though there are indeed some cheesy lyrics, most of them are actually quite good and on top of that, David Coverdale's singing voice is just plain amazing. He sounds like Robert Plant on steroids. The music, particularly the guitar work, is very reminiscent of classical music, but with a slightly more rock feel, and I really think it serves as an excellent compliment to Coverdale's vocal style. I honestly don't know what else to say, there's nothing distinctly bad that stands out even after many repeated listens, sometimes immediately after I finished listening to it. This is an album that simply is a testament to the sheer greatness of melodic hard rock. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. I have it on my iTunes and it is also on every MP3 player I own. I have never gotten tired of listening to it and it doesn't sound even remotely outdated. The sound quality is spectacular, which is quite notable, considering this particular Whitesnake album, unlike a lot of the band's discography, has yet to be re-released and remastered. I can safely say I don't really want to hear a remastered version of this album, as I don't really think there's anything all that important for them to do. It still sounds fresh and strong, even after twenty-seven years since the original release. I think I am going to check out some more of Whitesnake's discography soon. // 10

More Whitesnake reviews rating latest review
+ Forevermore 7.9 03/25/2011