Eternal Nightcap Review

whitlams: Eternal Nightcap
Released: 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
The album that helped The Whitlams find more than just a cult audience, Eternal Nightcap was full of gentle, well-crafted, piano-driven pop songs.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Eternal Nightcap Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2005

Sound: A great piano based record with good input and use of guitar, drums and bass. On this album there is a song for every mood (that includes completely smashed in there's a band on every corner - my least favourite song on the album) and they combine to make a funky rock/pop ballad based sound that shows the maturity of a good band. I love the guitar on Up Against The Wall and the added effects on most of the tracks. // 8

Lyrics: This album is stacked full of fine lyrics. The songs Charlie no. 1, Charlie no. 2 (buy now pay later) and Charlie no. 3 follow the story of a close friend of the band and his struggle with drugs and his eventual suicide. Songs like these give The Whitlams a haunting maturity that wasn't seen it previous records. With the lyrics humourous at times and sad at others I have to give them 5 out of 5, because there are so many hidden stories as well as just plain ballads, this record has so much depth in lyrics. My favourite lyric "She was one in a million, So theres five more just in NSW." Tim Freedman is an excellent singer and often performs the bands songs solo. // 10

Overall Impression: This was The Whitlams breakthrough album, with their first single (No Aphrodisiac) actually topping triple j's hottest 100. This album has so much depth and history in it. Out of the original whitlams (Stevie Plunder, Andy Lewis and Tim Freedman) only Tim has survived, the other two committed suicide. This has a different sound to the first two albums but in my taste it is a better album highlighted especially by the songs No Aphrodisiac, You Sound like Louis Burdett, Buy now pay later, Melbourne, Charlie no. 3 and Wheres the enemy? If it were to get stolen then I would definitely buy it again and I've recommended it to all my friends. // 10

Comments