The Wildhearts Review

wildhearts: The Wildhearts
Release Date: Apr 23, 2007
Label: Round
Genres: British Trad Rock, Hard Rock
2007 studio recording from The Wildhearts and their new line-up.
 8.6
 9.1
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The Wildhearts Reviewed by: wigman0001, on july 23, 2007

Sound: First of all, can I say that how appaulling it is that you can not select The Wildhearts from the list of bands known to UG.com! But that's just be clearing the air, and as UG.com seems to have the best selection of guitar tabs on the net, I can't bare much of a grudge against them! Right, now to reviewing this album! I've been a fan of The Wildhearts ever since I was introduced to them in the late '90s, and have always been impressed by their fusion of different styles of music. I am personally a massive fan of heavy/thrash/alternative metal, new/medium/old punk, and rock bands of the 60s and 70s. Somehow, The Wildhearts are able to merge aspects of all these genres of music and, as well as this, they still can add a hugely catchy pop element to their music. The sound of this album is suitably massive. I reviewed The Blackening by Machine Head recently, and on that I commented on how the big, overly-produced sound didn't work in my opinion for a band like Machine Head. It most certainly does work for this record. The balance and mix between all the instruments is impressive, and gives a very effective punch to the music. All an all, the sound of this album really does make it an effective work to listen to. With the type of music this band is famed for, the sound of this is fully expected, and well appreciated. // 8

Lyrics: Ginger (the lead vocallist and heart of The Wildhearts), has never disappointed when it comes to subject matter and lyrical whit. He hasn't on this occasion. Songs like 'The Revolution Will Be Televised', and 'Bi-Polar Baby', Ginger shows off how effective he can be when put in front of a microphone. The Wildhearts have always had a political edge to their music, and song like 'The New Flesh', and 'Inner City Overture', you very much so get what The Wildhearts are all about. // 8

Overall Impression: Their previous release, Must Be Destroyed, was not The Wildhearts album some fans had hoped it might be, this is! It's definitely not perfect, and songs like 'She's All That' give you the impression of an album filler. But there are some utter masterpieces on this record. Tracks like 'The Revolution Will Be Televised', and 'Slaughtered Authors' knock you away with their sound a power. Overall, this is a very approachable album, and has had me going back to relisten to it ever since I bought it. Much recommended! // 8

Comments