Where The Humans Eat Review

Released: Oct 12, 2004
Label: Team Love
Genre: Rock
Styles: Singer/Songwriter, Indie Pop
This is the folky, bluesy, jangly-guitar-slinging sound of somebody who has made a practice of walking in boots three sizes too big for so long that they finally fit.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Where The Humans Eat Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2005

Sound: Willy Mason is a solo artist and I promise he is going to be big! He has a very unique sound that contains aspects of folk and country. On this album there are twelve songs and every song is acoustic, but that does not mean that every song sounds the same. Mason favours the acoustic guitar and has been playing the exact same guitar from when he was twelve having never changed it once. He also plays accordion and harmonica on this album with his brother Sam Mason playing drums and bass and providing backing vocals on some tracks. Mason admits to being an avid Nirvana fan however his music sounds nothing like that of Kurt Cobain some critics have said that he is the Bob Dylan of the 21st century and I think that this statement is more accurate in describing his music. Mason uses finger picking and basic chord progressions on this album and every note fits perfectly with the songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics Mason writes are very complex and vivid. Unlike other country music where the focus is love Mason writes about growing up in Martha's Vineyard (Our Town) and leaving home to pursue his desired career (on the tracks So Long, Fear No Pain and Gotta Keep Movin). Mason also shows his concerns about the corrupt American government - "this is where the really big deals go down just like in the street behind the Whitehouse" Mason wails on Our Town. He also touches on prejudice and peer pressure(Hard Hand To Hold, All You Can Do and Sold My Soul). Mason is a talented vocalist and his voice has a very vast range and tone. He sing with a very dry and gravely voice that complements the songs he writes. He is not an amazing singer but he knows what he is capable of and therefore does not strain his voice in his songs and so sings in a way that mimics speech. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion Where The Humans Eat is an amazing debut album from such a young singer/songwriter (he is only 21! An sings like he is wiser beyond his years). The album is very unique and is a blend of many musical genres. The songs contained in this album are very original and personal. He is a country /folk performer but writes about things teenagers can easily relate to. If you are a teenager buy this album because this album doesn't talk down to you it is very honest and tells you things how they are. If you are a fan of bright eyes you will know that Willy Mason was signed by Bright Eyes front man Conor Oberst while busking in Martas Vineyard. Bright Eyes' songs are similar to that of Masons' except his contain more depth. My favourite songs on this album are Hard Hand To Hold, All You Can Do, So Long and Oxygen. Each song has a very different feel and all these song have excellent rhythms and detailed lyrics. However the final song on the album, 21st Century Boy, is a track that I dislike because it seems rushed and the lyrics are very superficial but every other track on the album is excellent. If I lost this album I would definatly buy it again because it is very original and unique. // 10

Comments